Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

consultants? or not

consultants? or not

Old Jul 28th 2007, 6:47 pm
Forum Regular

Leewales is a jewel in the roughLeewales is a jewel in the roughLeewales is a jewel in the roughLeewales is a jewel in the rough
Default consultants? or not

ok can anybody give me some more advice, i have submitted an EOI, and been picked from the pool, but i have heard it could take another three months to get my visa's? my job offer only last's 3 months so i don't want a visa when i have not got a job!!! if that makes sense?i was thinking of hiring a consultant? or should i wait? i am tight on the money line as it is, so if i can do with out a immigration cosultant i will, what do you lovely people think? and any advice? cheers Lee.
Old Jul 28th 2007, 7:10 pm
BE Enthusiast

nero has a reputation beyond reputenero has a reputation beyond reputenero has a reputation beyond reputenero has a reputation beyond reputenero has a reputation beyond reputenero has a reputation beyond reputenero has a reputation beyond reputenero has a reputation beyond reputenero has a reputation beyond reputenero has a reputation beyond reputenero has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: consultants? or not

We did not bother with a consultant as we did not have the money to spare.

Our ITA took 4-6 months but we did not have a job, christmas was slap bang in the middle and NZ closes down for this so it might be tight on time for you if you apply independently. But I am sure someone on the forum will be able to advise you more accurately.

Good luck
Old Jul 28th 2007, 7:18 pm
Forum Regular

Leewales is a jewel in the roughLeewales is a jewel in the roughLeewales is a jewel in the roughLeewales is a jewel in the rough

4-6 months for an ITA thanks for the info, but i was hoping for it much quicker than that, are you in nz now?cheers Lee
Old Jul 28th 2007, 7:25 pm
BE Enthusiast

nero has a reputation beyond reputenero has a reputation beyond reputenero has a reputation beyond reputenero has a reputation beyond reputenero has a reputation beyond reputenero has a reputation beyond reputenero has a reputation beyond reputenero has a reputation beyond reputenero has a reputation beyond reputenero has a reputation beyond reputenero has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Lee
Just heading across there - arrive in Auckland on the 3rd August. Decided we would go via the States and meet up with some old friends on the way.

As I said I am sure that there is someone on the forum who mirrors you more closely than I do, I hope they give you a closer match to your three months.

Is there any chance that your new employee can assist you with getting your ITA?
Old Jul 28th 2007, 7:30 pm
Forum Regular

Hi, i never asked that question, but thanks for the advice. cheers Lee.
Old Jul 28th 2007, 9:17 pm
BE Enthusiast

phil01 is a splendid one to beholdphil01 is a splendid one to beholdphil01 is a splendid one to beholdphil01 is a splendid one to beholdphil01 is a splendid one to beholdphil01 is a splendid one to beholdphil01 is a splendid one to beholdphil01 is a splendid one to beholdphil01 is a splendid one to beholdphil01 is a splendid one to beholdphil01 is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Leewales
Hi, i never asked that question, but thanks for the advice. cheers Lee.
Hi Lee,
having a consultant won't speed up the process. Basically after being selected they do a series of checks to validate the info you said on your EOI, the more straightforward it is the quicker your ITA will arrive, ours took nearly 3 weeks but we are in NZ and both in the jobs we stated on our EOI hence easy checking.

Make sure you have all your documents ready as in police checks, meds, certificates, NZQA assessment, supporting docs then when it does come through you can send it straight back.

We were expecting a few month wait for our ITA so hadn't sent off our police checks and now have the ITA but have to wait a fair while for the police checks to come back!
Old Jul 28th 2007, 10:35 pm
P2L
BE Forum Addict

P2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond repute

ok can anybody give me some more advice, i have submitted an EOI, and been picked from the pool, but i have heard it could take another three months to get my visa's? my job offer only last's 3 months so i don't want a visa when i have not got a job!!! if that makes sense?i was thinking of hiring a consultant? or should i wait? i am tight on the money line as it is, so if i can do with out a immigration cosultant i will, what do you lovely people think? and any advice? cheers Lee.

Hi Lee

If your application is straigthforward then there is no reason why it can't be done within the 3 month timeframe. Ours took 3 months and we had to supply additional information 3 times .

HTH
Old Jul 29th 2007, 9:19 am
Forum Regular

ok brilliant feed back! top people top site
Old Jul 29th 2007, 9:24 am
BE Forum Addict

SarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond repute

IMHO I wouldnt use a consultant. I agree, if your application is straightforward, which it sounds like.... theres no need. Save your money!

We got quoted £3k from Malcolm Pacific 2 and a half years ago but then we decided to get another quote... we spoke to a very honest lady in another company who said we didnt need her as it was such a straightforward case and it would waste time and lots of our money. My OH did it all himself online and it went through very quickly.
Old Jul 29th 2007, 10:14 am
conquering the world!

karonious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond repute

Get going Lee and do it yourself! Don't forget you need the long birth certificates: they won't accept the short version. If it is as straightforward as you seem to think, it shouldn't take you too long. Ours took from the end of July when our EOI was picked - we had the visas by late September including a lengthy wait around issues over our daughter's health so it is perfectly possible to complete in 3 months
Old Jul 29th 2007, 10:43 am
you dewty owld maan!

lardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by karonious
Get going Lee and do it yourself! Don't forget you need the long birth certificates: they won't accept the short version. If it is as straightforward as you seem to think, it shouldn't take you too long. Ours took from the end of July when our EOI was picked - we had the visas by late September including a lengthy wait around issues over our daughter's health so it is perfectly possible to complete in 3 months
and remember if it is absolutely necessary that you get a visa quick-sharp and you meet the work visa criteria then you can get the work visa in a couple of weeks, then get the residency when you arrrive - we did that, no worries with having both applications in process at same time, although its a bit of a fag and more money (less than a consultant mind!) - we too needed to get here sharpish to take up employment. Only qualifier is that you need to be sure that you are going to get the PR in the end and some of your health costs will be increased without PR. Good Luck, Ian
Old Jul 29th 2007, 1:47 pm
Forum Regular

how and where do you apply for a work visa? the sane site a submitted the EOI? which by the way as been selected, i am waiting for my police checks back now, should i know get the medicals done? questions question i know but as i am green i depend a lot on your advice so sorry and thanks all wrapped in to oneLee
Old Jul 30th 2007, 5:57 am
BE Forum Addict

danny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond repute

Been there,did it-regretted it ever since. So did our bank manager. Don't waste your money,bro.