Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

construction demand

construction demand

Old Sep 3rd 2013, 3:11 pm
BE Enthusiast

wardy_1990 has a reputation beyond reputewardy_1990 has a reputation beyond reputewardy_1990 has a reputation beyond reputewardy_1990 has a reputation beyond reputewardy_1990 has a reputation beyond reputewardy_1990 has a reputation beyond reputewardy_1990 has a reputation beyond reputewardy_1990 has a reputation beyond reputewardy_1990 has a reputation beyond reputewardy_1990 has a reputation beyond reputewardy_1990 has a reputation beyond repute
Default construction demand

Quick bio,

22 years of age, NVQ level 3 heating and vent pipefitter.

I have Previously tried for Canadian work permit with a view to permanent residency, December last year it fell through with the company but my eagerness to escape GB has not been quashed.

Very recently I have spoken to a family friend who is currently going through the process to go to New Zealand to join his son, his son successfully made it there with my qualifications.

he reassures me that there is a demand for English speaking workers,

I would like to know if this is still true and if so, are there particularly parts of the islands that need it more than others?

Thank you in advanced for your replies.

wardy.
Old Sep 4th 2013, 8:13 am
Forum Regular

marblep has a reputation beyond reputemarblep has a reputation beyond reputemarblep has a reputation beyond reputemarblep has a reputation beyond reputemarblep has a reputation beyond reputemarblep has a reputation beyond reputemarblep has a reputation beyond reputemarblep has a reputation beyond reputemarblep has a reputation beyond reputemarblep has a reputation beyond reputemarblep has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: construction demand

Hiya. I'm picking Christchurch would be the place for your skills. Go online and have a look at the NZ immigration website. That should answer most of your questions.

All the best.
Old Sep 4th 2013, 8:51 am
BE Enthusiast

wardy_1990 has a reputation beyond reputewardy_1990 has a reputation beyond reputewardy_1990 has a reputation beyond reputewardy_1990 has a reputation beyond reputewardy_1990 has a reputation beyond reputewardy_1990 has a reputation beyond reputewardy_1990 has a reputation beyond reputewardy_1990 has a reputation beyond reputewardy_1990 has a reputation beyond reputewardy_1990 has a reputation beyond reputewardy_1990 has a reputation beyond repute

according to there website my trade is not in demand on any lists including the Canterbury skill shortage list.

Is it worth travelling over on a WHV and trying to find work? sounds like a bit of a gamble, the description of the WHV says you cannot be primarily working and must only do a set amount of months work.

I think unless the family friend gets in touch new Zealand is not an option for my trade.

Thank you anyway for responding

Last edited by wardy_1990; Sep 4th 2013 at 8:52 am. Reason: thanks
Old Sep 4th 2013, 9:50 am
Forum Regular

marblep has a reputation beyond reputemarblep has a reputation beyond reputemarblep has a reputation beyond reputemarblep has a reputation beyond reputemarblep has a reputation beyond reputemarblep has a reputation beyond reputemarblep has a reputation beyond reputemarblep has a reputation beyond reputemarblep has a reputation beyond reputemarblep has a reputation beyond reputemarblep has a reputation beyond repute

Wardy - I wouldn't risk it. Find a country that needs your skills (Canada, USA). You're young, go for a huge working adventure.
Old Sep 4th 2013, 9:52 am
Forum Regular

And Wardy. Have the time of your life!!! Make money, but have fun
Old Sep 4th 2013, 10:17 am
BE Enthusiast

thanks for your advice

the positive comments on this forum sometimes are worth more than the information available on it.

all the best

wardy
Old Sep 12th 2013, 1:53 am
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

Ah ! I have made a post to your thread in the Plumbing part of BE.

As you iz young, there is nothing to stop you taking up a WHV and coming over for a while to simply enjoy New Zealand. You can work for a year.

The thing you need to be careful about is whether or not you have the right quals to eventually become properly NZ registered in your trade.
I have provided you with a couple of links on your other thread. Take a look and ask the PGDB the question about this.
Old Sep 12th 2013, 6:21 am
BE Enthusiast

Thank you very much for your response bevs,

Like most countries I did think there would be some hoops to jump through for my quals to be recognized and a cost.

Will check your response on the plumbing forum and look through the links.

Thanks all
Wardy