Reload this Page >

Considering the move to Christchurch

Considering the move to Christchurch

Old Feb 1st 2012, 11:25 am
Just Joined

mitchdibble is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Considering the move to Christchurch

Hi, I'm Mitch.
A 24 year old site engineer from the UK.
I am currently in talks about emmigrating to work in Christchurch later on in the year. I will most likely moving alone.
I would like to hear from others who have done this, or generally people from the area for their views.
If anybody can give me an insight into the area it will be greatly appreciated, big step!

Thanks
Old Feb 1st 2012, 8:58 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Considering the move

Hello & Mitchdibble. You've come to the right place to get answers to your questions .

I can't answer them specifically but I shall move your thread into the main forum so it can be seen by more people. I'll have a go at tweaking the thread Title too
Old Feb 2nd 2012, 12:39 am
grumpy bugger

theghostofdustybin has a reputation beyond reputetheghostofdustybin has a reputation beyond reputetheghostofdustybin has a reputation beyond reputetheghostofdustybin has a reputation beyond reputetheghostofdustybin has a reputation beyond reputetheghostofdustybin has a reputation beyond reputetheghostofdustybin has a reputation beyond reputetheghostofdustybin has a reputation beyond reputetheghostofdustybin has a reputation beyond reputetheghostofdustybin has a reputation beyond reputetheghostofdustybin has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Considering the move to Christchurch

Originally Posted by mitchdibble
Hi, I'm Mitch.
A 24 year old site engineer from the UK.
I am currently in talks about emmigrating to work in Christchurch later on in the year. I will most likely moving alone.
I would like to hear from others who have done this, or generally people from the area for their views.
If anybody can give me an insight into the area it will be greatly appreciated, big step!

Thanks
If you have a urge to do something different and you have enough money to do it, then what have you got to lose?

As to whether you would like nz yet alone chch only you will know that, and unfortunatly you'll have to come here to find out. We can all give advice, but we aren't you.

All i'll say is nothing is forever and I work on the idea, its better to have a go and decide you dont like something, than never to know*

Have fun, whatever you decide.

*the exceptions to this being incest and morris dancing..
Old Feb 2nd 2012, 4:04 am
CHC-MEL commute since 91

derab has much to be proud ofderab has much to be proud ofderab has much to be proud ofderab has much to be proud ofderab has much to be proud ofderab has much to be proud ofderab has much to be proud ofderab has much to be proud ofderab has much to be proud ofderab has much to be proud ofderab has much to be proud of
Default Re: Considering the move to Christchurch

Christchurch is certainly an adventure at the moment and its good to see you are looking seriously at it.
OK, a few pointers for you to be getting on with. when it comes to finding a place, try to keep west of Papanui Rd and Hagley park, about 90% of the damage occurred east of those landmarks.
If you are wanting to control your costs, and dont mind students, the main area of student accommodation is in the Riccarton / Ilam areas near the University. this has been a stable area during the recent quakes. one place to look is www.Gumtree.co.nz for house shares.
work is beginning to ramp up and I am sure that work will be fairly easy to come by, in your research and applications you might want to contact Fletchers, Hawkins and Arrow. these seem to be the main players in the rebuild so far.