Reload this Page >

Considering a Move

Considering a Move

Old Apr 13th 2007, 3:59 pm
Just Joined

Twinblade is on a distinguished road
Default Considering a Move

Hello there.

New to the board, but have been reading for a while with interest, and only just now decided to take the plunge and make my first post. New Zealand is somewhere I have considered living for a considerable time, and with family down there, and also across the pond in Australia it seems like a good destination to relocate.

A couple of things I have reservations on and would like some input from your goodselves should hopefully help ease the nerves.

1) I am currently a PI Claims Handler for a major motor insurance company, and ideally would like to continue with this career if it was possible down in NZ. Does anyone know if this is a good career path in NZ and if at all seen any positions in this field when trawling job ads themselves? I would like to know if the field is going to be easy of difficult to get into.

2) We have a little nipper, she is just 8 months old. And she is the main reason we will move as we want to give her the best. Where we live at the moment is not an ideal location for a young family, especially when growing up. I feel from experience, and what I have read here, NZ will offer alot more. We ideally want to do it before she gets too old, and makes too many ties with friends when she starts growing up. Probably in the next 2 years.

3) Finally, the missus is not against the idea, and has always wanted to move somewhere abroad but she is very family tied and is always worried about moving too far away from home. Mainly because her father cannot travel long distances, especially abroad because of illness. I am wanting to know if anyone else has had similar difficulties getting a loved one to take the plunge.

Many thanks, and all replies will be greatly appreciated.
Old Apr 14th 2007, 8:31 am
BE Enthusiast

Winnie has much to be proud ofWinnie has much to be proud ofWinnie has much to be proud ofWinnie has much to be proud ofWinnie has much to be proud ofWinnie has much to be proud ofWinnie has much to be proud ofWinnie has much to be proud ofWinnie has much to be proud ofWinnie has much to be proud ofWinnie has much to be proud of
Default Re: Considering a Move

Hi and welcome to the forum. Sorry I can't help with your questions much. The only input I can give you is that the younger the kids the more likely they'll settle, and its a much better place to bring them up. I waited until mine were teenagers and only have 1 out of the 3 here with me. At 2 they have no choice!!
Anyhow, just wanted to say a big fat WELCOME
Old Apr 14th 2007, 8:51 am
BE Forum Addict

UKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond repute

WELCOME to the nut-house!

Sorry I can't help, as we're not there yet but I'm quite close to my family and am dreading leaving, but as someone pointed out, it was MY choice to leave

Michelle x

Last edited by UKNZAUS; Apr 14th 2007 at 8:52 am. Reason: Took the quote out!
Old Apr 14th 2007, 9:43 am
you dewty owld maan!

lardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Twinblade
Hello there.
New to the board......Many thanks, and all replies will be greatly appreciated.
welcome,
I work in the Insurance Industry (only just started mind) and can put out some feelers if you PM me.
With regards to the kids there is plenty of space, an outdoor bias to life, healthy regard for sports and generally a get up and go approach to most things......so should suit kids and bring them on - our 5 yr old misses his friends at "home" but is starting to make some here, we ahve been in NZ for just about 3 months now.
We had the same worries over the family, particularly our parents but we all seem to be surviving what with Skype and webcams, my parents in particular miss the little uns as they are their only grandkids. We'll see how the next 3 months go and then probably make the big decision about selling up in the UK in about 12 months time.......
Old Apr 14th 2007, 11:22 am
Just Joined

Steven1976 will become famous soon enough

Hi there, just started posting myself.

We have a little one on the way and I have spent the last year telling my wife that this is the right thing to do. We've both become so disillusioned with the way Britain is going that our time to take the plunge is getting closer.

We both still say "but it's so far" and "what if we don't like it?" and "what about our family back home?" but my argument is that we will regret it more if we don't give it a go! It looks like the next year or so could be a big change for both of us. Good luck with your plans!
Old Apr 14th 2007, 1:26 pm
Forum Regular

ezzkazz has much to be proud ofezzkazz has much to be proud ofezzkazz has much to be proud ofezzkazz has much to be proud ofezzkazz has much to be proud ofezzkazz has much to be proud ofezzkazz has much to be proud ofezzkazz has much to be proud ofezzkazz has much to be proud ofezzkazz has much to be proud ofezzkazz has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by lardyl
welcome,
I work in the Insurance Industry (only just started mind) and can put out some feelers if you PM me.
With regards to the kids there is plenty of space, an outdoor bias to life, healthy regard for sports and generally a get up and go approach to most things......so should suit kids and bring them on - our 5 yr old misses his friends at "home" but is starting to make some here, we ahve been in NZ for just about 3 months now.
We had the same worries over the family, particularly our parents but we all seem to be surviving what with Skype and webcams, my parents in particular miss the little uns as they are their only grandkids. We'll see how the next 3 months go and then probably make the big decision about selling up in the UK in about 12 months time.......
I dont want to hijack the thread but how did your 5yr old cope when he realised he wont see his grandparents?
Old Apr 16th 2007, 9:45 am
Just Joined

Thank you all for the quick replies.

I will be PM'ing you shortly lardyl about the insurance side of things, as would be ideal to stay in the same field as I am over here. Seems natural.

The choice to move is easy on my part, and if the OH wasnt so close to her family, (knowing that her dad will never be able to visit is causing the biggest problem) we would be moving tomorrow (well, minus the red tape).

We have weighed up the pros and cons, and whilst the UK wins hands down on the things like family and friends and knowing what to expect it doesnt fair too well on the rest. Quality of life etc.

The way house prices are going over here, we have little chance to get a mortgage here, we live in a small town on the SE Coast, and house prices are so high here, we couldnt get a mortgage to buy a shed let alone a house, and thats causing endless problems, as we dont have the stability we would like for a small and young family.

Where abouts do people live, and what are the house prices like in your area? We would be looking for a 3 bedroom place, with a little garden, big enough for the little 'un to run around in when she has learnt to walk.
Old Apr 16th 2007, 9:59 am
BE Forum Addict

SarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond repute

Hiya and welcome to the board!

We moved out here with a littlun, he was 19 months old at the time. That was easy but I guess that the older they get the more difficult it gets.

The real only downside for us here is not being able to see family. I have a new baby now and it really hits home that my mum hasnt seen her yet. They have bought a webcam but they cant get it to work for more than a minute then it gives up. Its really hard not being able to see them. I have good friends here but its not the same as family.

Good luck with your plans anyway. Theres always plenty of helpful people on here who will try to answer any questions you have.
Old Apr 16th 2007, 10:41 am
you dewty owld maan!

lardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ezzkazz
I dont want to hijack the thread but how did your 5yr old cope when he realised he wont see his grandparents?
he's OK but keeps on reminding us that his childminder is busy digging a tunnel from the other side of the globe....
so far he is OK although the old behaviour/temper took a nosedive before we had a stable place to live and life reasonably sorted......
Grandparents on the other hand are not too happy.....
Old Apr 16th 2007, 1:32 pm
Forum Regular

Nisey has a brilliant futureNisey has a brilliant futureNisey has a brilliant futureNisey has a brilliant futureNisey has a brilliant futureNisey has a brilliant futureNisey has a brilliant future

Hi,

I'm new here too. We will be moving for a better family life/work balance. I work in London and have to stay here most of the week, We live in Wales, my DH is a police officer on a career break looking after our two kids age 6 and 2, but soon has to return to work. I want to go home in the evenings, we dont want to move the family to london, I cant get a job closer to home and when OH goes back to work he will have to work night shifts and weekends and we will have to get someone in to help with the childrens care, so virtually no family time.

My OH is very keen one minute and then worried about it the next. He admits he doesn't deal with change very well but once its done he'll be fine. (I've been dragging him through life like this for the last 15 years) I'm more right we've made a decision lets go and when you've finished being cautious this is what were doing.

We told my parents at the weekend, at first they were blown away and then started asking questions and then said 'wow' go for it if its right for you guys you get our support 100%. They also talked about how they could come out to visit and I'm sure my dad is already on line checking out the golf courses.

OH is off to tell him folks today, he's home with the little uns this week as its still school holidays, and I can't join him as I'm in London. Not something we want him to do on his own, but we have had to ask them if they can have the kids when we go for our reccie trip in three weeks and couldn't tell them why. They have guessed we're emigrating but they will be less positive. They have lived in the same house since they got married and whilst his mum hasn't travelled she would visit in a flash, his dad is well travelled, through work, and less likely to make the effort. They are both retired and have the means but won't see it the way we do and will probably see it as us taking their grandchildren away from them.

I think OH sadness about the whole thing is that deep in his heart he knows his dad won't make the effort, and if he doesn't then his mum is unlikely.We have looked at a number of places over the years as job opportunities presented themselves. They were against us going to seattle, but quite happy for us to consider Bordeaux as that was an area they liked. So I think there reaction is purely a selfish one. Thats just another dissapointment in a long line that OH has to deal with when it comes to his folks.

So fingers crossed it goes well, but if it doesn't then it'll be wednesday before I can give him a hug and get him focussed on the huge benefits for our family, cos I'm stuck in London till then.

Good luck with your process. I think the decision for us would be much harder if our folks didn't have the time, ability or means to travel, whether they do or not is another issue all together.

Nisey xx
Old Apr 16th 2007, 3:47 pm
Just Joined

Thanks for the response Nisey.

In a selfish way, Im glad someone else is finding it difficult to persuade the OH to take the plunge, makes it easier to relate to, and share experiences I guess. (hopefully that doesnt sound too bad)

With any luck your OH parents wont take it too bad. They seem to enjoy travelling, well his dad does, and they may surprise him with the response they give. Its a shame that with work you cannot be there to support him, as can see them trying to talk him out of the idea.

My opinion is, and confirmed by your comments that if there are little ones involved the decision is harder, and the reaction from parents is likely to be seen as taking their grandchildren away from them. Thats the hardest bit.

Fortunately, my parents love travelling, and have commented on wanting to move abroad when they retire, so they will hopefully see it the same way as us. Although they want to move to Canada!

Will keep you posted on developments.
Old Apr 16th 2007, 10:37 pm
Forum Regular

Leighlou has a brilliant futureLeighlou has a brilliant futureLeighlou has a brilliant futureLeighlou has a brilliant futureLeighlou has a brilliant futureLeighlou has a brilliant futureLeighlou has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by Nisey
Hi,

I'm new here too. We will be moving for a better family life/work balance. I work in London and have to stay here most of the week, We live in Wales, my DH is a police officer on a career break looking after our two kids age 6 and 2, but soon has to return to work. I want to go home in the evenings, we dont want to move the family to london, I cant get a job closer to home and when OH goes back to work he will have to work night shifts and weekends and we will have to get someone in to help with the childrens care, so virtually no family time.

My OH is very keen one minute and then worried about it the next. He admits he doesn't deal with change very well but once its done he'll be fine. (I've been dragging him through life like this for the last 15 years) I'm more right we've made a decision lets go and when you've finished being cautious this is what were doing.

We told my parents at the weekend, at first they were blown away and then started asking questions and then said 'wow' go for it if its right for you guys you get our support 100%. They also talked about how they could come out to visit and I'm sure my dad is already on line checking out the golf courses.

OH is off to tell him folks today, he's home with the little uns this week as its still school holidays, and I can't join him as I'm in London. Not something we want him to do on his own, but we have had to ask them if they can have the kids when we go for our reccie trip in three weeks and couldn't tell them why. They have guessed we're emigrating but they will be less positive. They have lived in the same house since they got married and whilst his mum hasn't travelled she would visit in a flash, his dad is well travelled, through work, and less likely to make the effort. They are both retired and have the means but won't see it the way we do and will probably see it as us taking their grandchildren away from them.

I think OH sadness about the whole thing is that deep in his heart he knows his dad won't make the effort, and if he doesn't then his mum is unlikely.We have looked at a number of places over the years as job opportunities presented themselves. They were against us going to seattle, but quite happy for us to consider Bordeaux as that was an area they liked. So I think there reaction is purely a selfish one. Thats just another dissapointment in a long line that OH has to deal with when it comes to his folks.

So fingers crossed it goes well, but if it doesn't then it'll be wednesday before I can give him a hug and get him focussed on the huge benefits for our family, cos I'm stuck in London till then.

Good luck with your process. I think the decision for us would be much harder if our folks didn't have the time, ability or means to travel, whether they do or not is another issue all together.

Nisey xx
Hi Nisey,
Just wanted to say it must be so tough on you and your family to be living away from them during the week! Trying to find any alternatives to this is good, and if you think NZ can do it for you, go for it!
My parents are v. supportive too, and are already planning their trips, and we have the same issues with my in-laws. V. unhappy about it all, lots of v. unsubtle hints of taking grandchildren away etc. But the way I look at it is, there is the internet, telephones etc., plus we are planning on being home every 2nd year for long holidays, and they have unconditional invites to come and go as they please with us in NZ. So, okay, we will be 12,000 miles away, but there are always ways and means of staying in touch, and as long as we all make the effort, it really should be one great big adventure that we can all enjoy.
Loads of people have talked about this issue on this site before, and all seem to say the same, which is you have to follow your dream, and have to be tough about it. Hang on in there! I'm sure it will be worth it! Sure as hell it will be for us too!
Old Apr 17th 2007, 7:03 am
Forum Regular

Nisey has a brilliant futureNisey has a brilliant futureNisey has a brilliant futureNisey has a brilliant futureNisey has a brilliant futureNisey has a brilliant futureNisey has a brilliant future

Hi Thanks for your kind words,

Well OH went to see his parents yesterday and it didn't go well at all, in fact it couldn't have gone worse. His dad got very angry and asked him if he cant be a success here what makes him think he'll be successful somewhere else. It wasn't very pleasant at all. There is a long history of his dad not investing in him and not being terribly proud of him, I don't know why OH expected anything different.

OH was very upset to start with but by the time he got home he had turned around and was thinking sod him, if thats his attitude. When he called me he said that he couldn't believe how down he got last week worrying about telling them and the impact it would have on them. So in some ways his dad has done me a favour cos OH is now so keen to go.

Its hard sitting here in the office this morning, I know my little girls will have crawled into bed with daddy and they'll be all watching cartoons and having their milk. Its hard to be so excited about the prospect of going to NZ and not being able to tell anyone in work yet, professional suicide.

So we are looking like all systems go our end, cant wait for our reccie trip in just over two weeks

Nisey xx