Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Coming to Wellington with baby on board

Coming to Wellington with baby on board

Old Jul 31st 2013, 9:53 am
Forum Regular

samboka1975 is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile Coming to Wellington with baby on board

We are so excited to have received our visas this week and cannot wait to book the flights and start our new life.

When we arrive I will be 5 months pregnant and was wondering were do I start with antenatal care and birth plan.

I have done my research on birthing facilities but not sure what I do when I arrive.
Should I go to the hospital with my notes and book my midwife apps.

any help would be appreciated.

Sam
Old Jul 31st 2013, 10:26 am
BE Forum Addict

escapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Coming to Wellington with baby on board

Originally Posted by samboka1975
We are so excited to have received our visas this week and cannot wait to book the flights and start our new life.

When we arrive I will be 5 months pregnant and was wondering were do I start with antenatal care and birth plan.

I have done my research on birthing facilities but not sure what I do when I arrive.

Sam
Hi,
I'm no were near an expert on this and male so you may have to bear with me!!!
My wife and I have recently been down this path ourselves and in a nut shell it's a completely different process to the UK.

When you find out you are pregnant here, after an appointment with your GP the first job seems to be finding your own midwife! Surprised me for sure.
If I remember correctly there are two types - those that are attached to a hospital and those that are not.
Usually one would have heard by word of mouth who are the good ones etc and basically all you do is make contact directly and ask them if they are available.
They ask you all about your history, pregnancy etc and decide whether they can take you on or not.
If you have any medical issues or your at risk etc then you will be advised to contact the hospital to book in with their own midwives.

Will ask the Mrs tomorrow to make sure I'm giving you the right info.

In all honesty I'd bet your issue is going to be your dates and the fact you will be 5 months pregnant already and without a midwife taking you on.
They really do get booked up very early so on this score you may just have to approach the hospital when you arrive and book in with their midwives.

We eventually booked in with a midwife at the hospital due to my wife being labelled as high risk.
Unfortunately it didn't work out for us this time but what I can say is the hospital in Wellington is fantastic and the staff equally so.

Regards,
Old Jul 31st 2013, 8:43 pm
BE Forum Addict

escapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by samboka1975

Sam
Hi,

Me again!

Had a chat with the Mrs about midwives for you.

In general all healthy pregnancies are handled in the community free of charge by independant midwives.
Your GP is the prime maternity carer up to around 12 weeks and then from here you are looked after by whichever independent midwife has taken you on.
These independant midwives get booked up very quickly so I guess you would struggle to find one.
If you cannot find an independant midwife you automatically become eligible for care under the hospital and their midwives but it all depends which area of Wellington you will be living in as to which hospital you need to approach.

Here's a few links. The Mrs recommends you ringing via the mum2be website initially.

http://www.health.govt.nz/your-healt...um2be-helpline

http://www.midwiferycouncil.health.n...ind-a-midwife/
Old Aug 1st 2013, 12:02 am
Just Joined

wingfic is an unknown quantity at this point

I'm currently going through the NZ antenatal system for the first time - I am at 28 weeks and this is my first baby so I have no UK experience to compare it too. When I first found out I was pregnant I went to my GP who said congratulations - belived the HPT and didnt test me herself she recommended a group of midwives close to where I lived (you have to go and visit your midwife for all appointments until after the birth). I havnt seen my GP since because luckily I've not been ill anything pregnancy related is dealt with by my midwife as my Lead Maternity Carer (LMC).

I booked in with my midwife when I was about 8 weeks pregnant and saw her at 10 weeks for a booking in appointment (i assume you will have had all of this in the UK so far). You see the midwife every 4 weeks until your third trimester where it goes down to every 2 weeks.

I have opted to birth at my local hospital - first baby and wanted to be sure I had medical assistance should I need it - although other options are a home birth or a birth in a birthing centre. My midwife will be there to deliver my baby at the hospital. When you chose a midwife they will tell you the types of births they do (i.e hospital or home births or if they are attached to a particular birthing unit or not) and they will let you know if they do water births or have any fixed feelings on things like hypnobirthing etc.

If you have a normal delivery with no complications I have been told that my hospital will keep me in for 2 days (so not like the NHS where you give birth in the morning and are home dazed and confused by tea time) if you end up having a C section they can keep you in for around 5 days. After you have finished at the hospital you can either go home or if you think you want a bit more help and support with bubs you can transfer to a birth centre and stay there for another couple of days (obviously you could have birthed at the birth centre in the first place).

Midwives usually take on about 5 - 8 ladies a month and during your antenal appointments you will also get to meet with your midwives back up (incase she is delivering someone elses baby when you go into labour) so unlike the UK you should have met and know your midwife prior to delivery.

At 5 months pregnant you will have already had all your scans in the UK (if its a normal pregnancy) as they only scan you here at 12 and 20 weeks. You will have more blood tests at 28 weeks though to check for gestational diabetes etc.

Maternity care is free if you have a residency visa or a work visa which is valid for more than 24 months or your partner has one of these visas, you might have to pay the odd amount - each scan has cost me $25 but I think that is for copies of the photos and DVD - I am also paying for antenatal classes, there are some free ones around but these book up really fast - try your local parents centre in wellington (google it they will have a website). Antenatal classes for me start in week 31 and there are 6 classes scheduled, however, if you are tight on time there is the option of doing an intense weekend course?

Sorry I have gone on and on - excitment of having first baby I think - it does take over most waking thoughts.

If you have any more questions Im happy to try and answer them, I am based in Auckland though so cant help with Wellington specific recommendations. What I will say is that the care I have recieved so far has been first class and I have never felt rushed at any appointments or not had every explained to me fully!

Good luck cooking your little one!