Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Christchurch - moving to

Christchurch - moving to

Old May 2nd 2011, 2:30 am
Queen of the Underworld

Persephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Christchurch - moving to

Originally Posted by Charismatic
So new but also old? You must give architects a real headache.
I am a confusion of contradictions New and modern can have elements that hark back to what was there before without looking exactly the same or old fashioned.
Originally Posted by Charismatic
Does anyone know what is happening regarding the centre of the city? The leaning tower of Christchurch is still standing and others that will need to come down. Have they set the dates yet? I hope all at once as a tourist attraction.
No is the simple answer. I described that hotel as being Pisa-esque to a friend. I was looking at it from the eastern side of town the other day, it looks worse in real life than it does in photos
Old May 2nd 2011, 3:44 pm

daisycutter is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Christchurch - moving to

Hi,thanks for the feedback ... true it is a personal thing,but good to hear different points of view ... we have lived in CHCH before in Sumner area and would want to return to the community we know,but seems that area is in a bad state,kids have school places on offer as well but Auckland would offer city all intact .... hope to make decision soon ..... again thanks for input ....
Old May 2nd 2011, 11:45 pm
Truth is the safest lie.

Charismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: Christchurch - moving to

Originally Posted by Persephone
No is the simple answer.
Oh...no hurry I suppose . I'm suprised by the number of companies that haven't bothered to update their websites, not just small shops either for example Burgerking reports it's outlet on Moorehouse ave. is still open.
Old May 14th 2011, 1:48 am
Truth is the safest lie.

Charismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: Christchurch - moving to

The Canterbury Earthquake Recovery Authority (Cera) is threatening to take over the demolition of central Christchurch buildings and send owners the bill.

Cera interim deconstruction manager Warwick Isaacs said yesterday the owners of dangerous buildings would receive a letter giving them 10 days to submit a demolition plan.

If the letters were ignored or the time frame submitted was considered too long, Cera would take over and bill the owners for the cost of demolition.

"If no-one comes back to us in 10 days, we pull it down," he said.

It is expected 900 inner-city buildings will have to be demolished, as well as 300 suburban commercial buildings.
There won't be many left!