British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   New Zealand (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/)
-   -   Christchurch - moving to (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/christchurch-moving-714960/)

daisycutter Apr 28th 2011 6:19 pm

Christchurch - moving to

Hi out there .... my wife is still keen to return to CHCH even with all the earthquake issues,but i am hesitant and feel Auckland would be better for all ... so just wondering how many people out there that were to migrate to CHCH are still heading there or now maybe somewhere else ? cheers .

alanmacc Apr 28th 2011 8:19 pm

Re: Christchurch - moving to

Originally Posted by daisycutter (Post 9332165)
Hi out there .... my wife is still keen to return to CHCH even with all the earthquake issues,but i am hesitant and feel Auckland would be better for all ... so just wondering how many people out there that were to migrate to CHCH are still heading there or now maybe somewhere else ? cheers .

Hi

To be honest we still love Chch, having been through 2 very serious quakes and numerous aftershocks we still love this place and can see no reason that would make us move, whether it be back to the UK or to other parts of NZ.

Yes the quakes were scary and devastating, but the people have shown real resolve here and are working to get the place back up and running, the face of Chch has changed for ever as we knew it but it will rebuild and it is still a fantastic place to live.

Bear in mind there are plenty of places within close proximity of Chch that were totally undamaged in any quake so there is always options

Cheers
Alan

PS

BC is also a stunning part of the world, went to BC many years ago (summerland)

Charismatic Apr 28th 2011 8:41 pm

One of my favorite films has a great scene where one peasant turns to his wife and says "Well I'm off to fight the 30 year war", of course it's funny because you just couldn't know how long a war lasts before it's over. Thats the risk with Christchurch, the city could be a revitalised place in a few years or it could just gloss over the oppertunity to do something great. There just isn't any way you can tell.

Jan n Neil Apr 29th 2011 12:36 am

TBH i,m over them and given the chance i would leave, the way i see it (and i could be wrong) it,s going to take years to rebuild tourists/students/business is going to stay away for years and theres always a chance we are going to get another one. If you have another option i would take it

Neil

rossojo Apr 29th 2011 4:33 am

I agree with Jan n Neil - we had little damage, but cannot see the point in being here - nowhere to go and nothing to see and for how long??
Every time you go anywhere you're faced with devastation. We were very lucky twice so we're wondering if our luck will hold a third time - every big aftershock causes a stomach tightening, wondering if this is it.
Don't get me wrong, we love NZ and we have made some good friends in Chch. We are generally happy in spite of it all.

Charismatic Apr 29th 2011 6:37 am

To be fair we wouldn't have mentioned christchurch in the same breath as paris or vancouver before the earthquake either. I'd downplay the physical damage to buildings, much more depends on the visions of a city rebuilt. Will it's new architecture, public services and parks reflect the artistic viberance of the city for future generations? Can it be a city that attracts tallented people to live and work? When those questions are answered we can be sure about what type of city it will be.

Expat Kiwi Apr 30th 2011 12:51 pm

Originally Posted by Charismatic (Post 9332393)
One of my favorite films has a great scene where one peasant turns to his wife and says "Well I'm off to fight the 30 year war", of course it's funny because you just couldn't know how long a war lasts before it's over. Thats the risk with Christchurch, the city could be a revitalised place in a few years or it could just gloss over the oppertunity to do something great. There just isn't any way you can tell.

Which is the cheaper? because that's what's going to happen.

Joshlin May 1st 2011 5:27 am

we're here in chch and the earthquakes were the scariest things we have ever lived through - but i have no intention of going anywhere. One of the most positive times I have ever experienced has been post quakes - the resilience and sense of community shown here has been second to none. I would say, do your research - and not just quake impact, work out what you are wanting and if chch still fits your bill then come - we need people to continue to show faith in this city, otherwise repairs will be brushed over - if the city feels like people want to be here, then the effort will be made to make it great again - and a city is much more about its people then its material substance anyway.:)

Expat Kiwi May 1st 2011 6:27 am

Fair point, but I wouldn't want to spend every day worrying if my partner or kids were safe in the buildings they are studying or working in and whether we could get to them if something should go wrong.

It's a tricky one to call daisycutter, if it's a sense of community you're looking for plenty of places in New Zealand have that, you don't need a major disaster to make people feel closer to each other, look at the public spirit in Britain during the royal wedding to see how people can feel camaraderie in good as well as bad situations.

Charismatic has a good point about the 30 years war. Whilst the public good spirit is there now will it still be existence in a year or two from now when people are well fed up with the privations and tired of the whole thing?

I'd say head for Auckland and then look at Christchurch again when things are back to normal down there.

chippy64 May 1st 2011 8:38 am

The whole of New Zealand is at some risk from a natural disaster - Auckland is full of volcanoes (one has recently been discovered under the Uni) and who's to say another one wont suddenly spring up from the earth's depths?
Until September, the North Island seemed to have far more earthquakes, with any occurring in the South Island hardly felt.
NZ is basically on a fault line. ChCh could have another earthquake today, or it could be another 150,000 years before it has another. Or you could walk out your front door anywhere in the world and be mown down by a driver high on drink or drugs.
My first question to my husband (after waiting over 15 hours to hear from him after the Feb quake) was 'when are you leaving ChCh?'. He was adamant that he wasn't going to turn his back on the people there after everything they had done for him. I have decided to take the approach of 'when your time's up...'
But, that is only my opinion and I think you have to feel comfortable with your decision, whatever it may be. :thumbup:

chippy64 May 1st 2011 8:39 am

ps I may feel completely differently once out there and experiencing any rumbles! :unsure:

Persephone May 2nd 2011 12:19 am

Well I live in Chch and have no intention of leaving but I appreciate that those not already here would be wary of moving to the city. I personally do not think that risk of another big earthquake occurring should put anyone off coming here specifically - you shouldn't move anywhere within NZ if that were the case. As things stand the quakes are continuing to reduce in magnitude as would be expected from previous quakes. You learn to live with them [now they're smaller!], it feels strange if I haven't felt one for a few days:D
The main problem with the city at the moment is the obvious: the damage and the amount of work that needs doing, there are fewer things to do and see.

No one knows what the future Christchurch will be like-I am hoping for a consistent approach to bringing together what is left of the Red Zone and a new modern centre that retains enough links to the past so it is still recognisable as the city we used to know. In other words use this opportunity wisely and not just go for a mish mash of styles and rebuilds.

You can only make up your own minds as to what to do. Those of us already here have too much invested to be able to move away anyway so are coming at your question from a different angle. I do think I would be hesitant of coming here if I was in your position, not because of the quakes but because of the idea of moving to a 'disaster zone' rather than a fully built up city with everything functioning as normal.

Jan n Neil May 2nd 2011 12:24 am

On the topics of earthquakes, there was a sizable 5.2 north west of Oxford, widely felt around Rangiora and some parts of Christchurch, on Saturday morning. This is probably not an aftershock of the other recent big ones, but a brand new event.

Nowhere (almost) in New Zealand is exempt from earthquakes. Buy wisely and get geotechnical reports on the ground too.

Jan

Charismatic May 2nd 2011 12:24 am

Originally Posted by Persephone (Post 9337031)
...a new modern centre that retains enough links to the past so it is still recognisable as the city we used to know.

So new but also old? :huh: You must give architects a real headache.

Charismatic May 2nd 2011 2:07 am

Does anyone know what is happening regarding the centre of the city? The leaning tower of Christchurch is still standing and others that will need to come down. Have they set the dates yet? I hope all at once as a tourist attraction.