Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

The Christchurch Earthquake

The Christchurch Earthquake

Old Feb 22nd 2011, 10:08 pm
MnB

MnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: The Christchurch Earthquake

Originally Posted by Persephone
Why post this shit?? Offensive title for a start: Haiti v Chch earthquake, it's not a football match FFS
I gave it a chance and soon realised it was just a chance to air some dubious points of view that no one wants to know about. Haiti and Chch- two very different situations and circumstances-did you even watch this before you posted it, did you really think it was appropriate or even going to be acceptable? I don't often get angry but this has really pissed me off.

I am living through what's going on in Chch and even though I have been very lucky the stress and constant fear is not lessening. People have died and may well be dying, my partner is helping out and I don't know how safe he is. Concentrate on the facts and what is really relevant and quit trying to make some disgraceful and racist issue out of what is happening here .
Well said Persephone....thankfully its been deleted so at least some other unsuspecting, concerned person won't be subjected to such insensitive, offensive c**p!....thanks Mods!
B x
Old Feb 23rd 2011, 4:29 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Persephone
Why post this shit?? Offensive title for a start: Haiti v Chch earthquake, it's not a football match FFS
I gave it a chance and soon realised it was just a chance to air some dubious points of view that no one wants to know about. Haiti and Chch- two very different situations and circumstances-did you even watch this before you posted it, did you really think it was appropriate or even going to be acceptable? I don't often get angry but this has really pissed me off.

I am living through what's going on in Chch and even though I have been very lucky the stress and constant fear is not lessening. People have died and may well be dying, my partner is helping out and I don't know how safe he is. Concentrate on the facts and what is really relevant and quit trying to make some disgraceful and racist issue out of what is happening here .
This is what I wanted to say but was being too polite . You go girl
Old Feb 23rd 2011, 5:27 am
Forum Regular

annabel1 is a name known to allannabel1 is a name known to allannabel1 is a name known to allannabel1 is a name known to allannabel1 is a name known to allannabel1 is a name known to allannabel1 is a name known to allannabel1 is a name known to allannabel1 is a name known to allannabel1 is a name known to allannabel1 is a name known to all

Originally Posted by chippy64
My men are safe!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!
Hi Chippy,

I am so so pleased that your guys are safe, I read your posts yesterday and my heart went out to you, x x

Lets hope that many more are found safe, our thoughts are with you x
Old Feb 23rd 2011, 5:07 pm
Account Closed

iamthecreaturefromuranus is an unknown quantity at this point

I watched the QLD floods unfold in recent months, and parts of QLD and NSW were getting inundated for the second and third time within a couple of years. I asked myself at the time "how often do people keep coming back for more"

Now God forbid that Christchurch could get hit like this again, but this is two major quakes in a short space of time. What happens if there is another big one? How many people are thinking of relocating?
Old Feb 23rd 2011, 9:50 pm
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

but this is two major quakes in a short space of time
Actually they have been dealing with much more than that since September.

Some people are thinking of re-locating. There is your answer.
Old Feb 24th 2011, 6:27 am
BE Enthusiast

shirl has a reputation beyond reputeshirl has a reputation beyond reputeshirl has a reputation beyond reputeshirl has a reputation beyond reputeshirl has a reputation beyond reputeshirl has a reputation beyond reputeshirl has a reputation beyond reputeshirl has a reputation beyond reputeshirl has a reputation beyond reputeshirl has a reputation beyond reputeshirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by iamthecreaturefromuranus
I watched the QLD floods unfold in recent months, and parts of QLD and NSW were getting inundated for the second and third time within a couple of years. I asked myself at the time "how often do people keep coming back for more"

Now God forbid that Christchurch could get hit like this again, but this is two major quakes in a short space of time. What happens if there is another big one? How many people are thinking of relocating?
It affects people on different levels, one of our grandchildren is affected really badly, I myself feel like giving up and going home, BUT, we have lives here, who would buy our houses now, all our money is invested in our lives here and we have just started our own business as well so even if we wanted to, we couldn't just up sticks and go. For a start there are air fares, accommodation in a new country or location, then there is property to sell. It is a good job my husband is more level headed than me. I would be gone by now I can tell you that much.

Then there is the guilt feelings, the questions that come up in your own head day after day, why have I been a lucky one, why have I escaped destruction in 2 major earthquakes in such quick succession. What is God's plan for me after this? Why are so many suffering so close to where I live and yet I have food water power sanitation etc etc. Why should I need trauma councelling - why should I take up valuable appointments when others will need it more.... can you see where I am coming from people. Yes we can all do our bit and help out or offer accommodation etc but some people say thanks for the offer and prefer to sit it out and hang in there for whatever reason. The human spirit is tested to its limits. The Heart breaks for those who have lost loved ones and homes and we fear for what is coming next. It is like living your life in a movie at the moment, very surreal.

So the answer would be yes probably in most cases but the reality is a very different thing.
Old Feb 24th 2011, 6:47 am
BE Forum Addict

chippy64 has a reputation beyond reputechippy64 has a reputation beyond reputechippy64 has a reputation beyond reputechippy64 has a reputation beyond reputechippy64 has a reputation beyond reputechippy64 has a reputation beyond reputechippy64 has a reputation beyond reputechippy64 has a reputation beyond reputechippy64 has a reputation beyond reputechippy64 has a reputation beyond reputechippy64 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by shirl
It affects people on different levels, one of our grandchildren is affected really badly, I myself feel like giving up and going home, BUT, we have lives here, who would buy our houses now, all our money is invested in our lives here and we have just started our own business as well so even if we wanted to, we couldn't just up sticks and go. For a start there are air fares, accommodation in a new country or location, then there is property to sell. It is a good job my husband is more level headed than me. I would be gone by now I can tell you that much.

Then there is the guilt feelings, the questions that come up in your own head day after day, why have I been a lucky one, why have I escaped destruction in 2 major earthquakes in such quick succession. What is God's plan for me after this? Why are so many suffering so close to where I live and yet I have food water power sanitation etc etc. Why should I need trauma councelling - why should I take up valuable appointments when others will need it more.... can you see where I am coming from people. Yes we can all do our bit and help out or offer accommodation etc but some people say thanks for the offer and prefer to sit it out and hang in there for whatever reason. The human spirit is tested to its limits. The Heart breaks for those who have lost loved ones and homes and we fear for what is coming next. It is like living your life in a movie at the moment, very surreal.

So the answer would be yes probably in most cases but the reality is a very different thing.
Shirl, what a great response! One of the first things I said to my husband, when he finally got through to me (after checking both he and Sam were alive and safe) was 'when are you moving out of ChCh?'. He had no hesitation in saying that that wasn't an option. He said that everybody needed to pull together and that there was such a fantastic effort from everyone, that it just wasn't right to walk away. I will however freely admit that right now I would prefer to live elsewhere when I make the move.

Big hugs and love to all who are suffering out there.
Old Feb 24th 2011, 8:52 am
BE Enthusiast

dannigirl has a reputation beyond reputedannigirl has a reputation beyond reputedannigirl has a reputation beyond reputedannigirl has a reputation beyond reputedannigirl has a reputation beyond reputedannigirl has a reputation beyond reputedannigirl has a reputation beyond reputedannigirl has a reputation beyond reputedannigirl has a reputation beyond reputedannigirl has a reputation beyond reputedannigirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by shirl

I don't think ANYONE would blame or judge people for wanting to leave, on the surface it seems a good option, but as you point out people have entire lives they just can't walk away from. Well done Shirl for thinking of other people in such tragic circumstances, but make sure you look after yourself too. Sounds like your grandchild is lucky to have such a strong family around him or her!
Old Feb 24th 2011, 9:18 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by dannigirl
I don't think ANYONE would blame or judge people for wanting to leave, on the surface it seems a good option, but as you point out people have entire lives they just can't walk away from.
Totally agree. Must be exceptionally hard though if you have a business and its taken apart twice in a short period. Would you come back for more? I'm not sure I would. I think I'd be taking the insurance money and looking to establish elsewhere.
Old Feb 24th 2011, 10:15 am
THR
Account Closed

THR is an unknown quantity at this point

Not all the people in Christchurch are people who have moved there from somewhere else; for some people it is their hometown and they won't leave their home because it is their home.
Old Feb 24th 2011, 10:21 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by THR
Not all the people in Christchurch are people who have moved there from somewhere else; for some people it is their hometown and they won't leave their home because it is their home.
I lived in Manchester for over 30 years.. I still left and it didn't take an earthquake to make me move. People leave their hometown all the time. This board is a testament to that.
Old Feb 25th 2011, 2:55 am
Just Joined

ray2nz is an unknown quantity at this point

My wife and I are relocating to Christchurch. Well, were. We leave London on 26 February, arriving Auckland 28 February.
Old Feb 25th 2011, 2:58 am
Just Joined

ray2nz is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Arthur Daley
Had so many texts and emails from England last night asking if I was OK and had to explain to a few that even though I felt the quake I lived a four hour drive from CHCH. The texts came thick and fast from London and it was nice to think that so many were thinking of me. Every beeping text did not wake me up though. Like so many other people on the South island last night I did not feel much like sleeping. I doubt tonight will be any easier.
There is a real sense of togetherness in NZ at the moment and that makes every emotion that bit more personal. The whole country is feeling part of this tragedy.
Christchurch is a city in grief.
Old Feb 25th 2011, 7:44 am

Am Loolah is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by ray2nz
My wife and I are relocating to Christchurch. Well, were. We leave London on 26 February, arriving Auckland 28 February.
Oh dear, what are your plans now then? Has your accommodation suffered? What about your place of work? What an upheaval, you must be very concerned and stressed.
Old Feb 25th 2011, 11:17 am
THR
Account Closed

THR is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by ray2nz
So, in other words, you had a narrow escape. Must be a similar feeling like first missing a plane and then hearing that the plane you have missed has crashed.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.