Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Christchurch - any advice (emploment etc)?

Christchurch - any advice (emploment etc)?

Old Aug 29th 2008, 2:47 pm
BE Enthusiast

Jay-Producer is just really niceJay-Producer is just really niceJay-Producer is just really niceJay-Producer is just really niceJay-Producer is just really niceJay-Producer is just really niceJay-Producer is just really niceJay-Producer is just really niceJay-Producer is just really nice
Default Christchurch - any advice (emploment etc)?

Hi,

I randomly discovered this forum a while back and registered, then I forgot all about it only to be reminded about the website in a book I read about immigrating to NZ. Funny world it is.

Anyway, me and my partner are traveling around the world trying to find anywhere that's better than Edinburgh (no luck so far). When I say the world I mean OZ, NZ and Canada. We are currently in Australia and have decided to relocate to New Zealand - why not its only down the road

Christchurch was the pick of the bunch. I was wondering if anyone has any advice they could give about the place. I have already done some research, but what has become evident is that the job market for our type of work is almost non existent. Any help would be appreciated.

What is Christchurch like?
What is the job market like for the Youth Work & Mental Health sector?
Know of any websites or organisations looking to hire in these job markets? Perhaps you know of what papers to look in?
Know of any good realestate agents for renting property in the city?

Anything would be helpful. I have already started looking for work but I can't find a thing, neither can my partner and this worries us. I could only find a few youth organisations (3 to be exact) and they weren't of much help when I contacted them. I had no trouble in OZ having managed to set-up interviews before I arrived, but NZ seems a lot tougher.
Old Aug 30th 2008, 2:35 am
BE Enthusiast

Joshlin has a reputation beyond reputeJoshlin has a reputation beyond reputeJoshlin has a reputation beyond reputeJoshlin has a reputation beyond reputeJoshlin has a reputation beyond reputeJoshlin has a reputation beyond reputeJoshlin has a reputation beyond reputeJoshlin has a reputation beyond reputeJoshlin has a reputation beyond reputeJoshlin has a reputation beyond reputeJoshlin has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Christchurch - any advice (emploment etc)?

hi there
we're in chch and are very happy
re: jobs - can't help too much with youth work although you could try looking up CYFS - child, youth & family services - they obviously have a range of services so it would depend on what you were looking for - they have a new secure facility just out at Rolleston and I know they were looking for staff - will try and find a link.
re: mental health work - I am an OT and worked in mental health for CDHB when we first arrived - they are desperate for staff but depends again on your backgrounds and what you are looking for - you can try the CDHB website but I would also approach the hr people cos not all vacancies are advertised.
there are also a number of NGO's (non-governmental organisations) who provide support for people with mental health needs - look up Richmond Fellowship; Stepping Stones Trust; Comcare; Pathways - they provide residential services, day care, employment services, respite services etc etc

anything else you want you know just shout
as i say i'll try and find links
Vicki

http://www.richmondnz.org/vacancy1.htm
http://www.pathways.co.nz/page/5-Home
http://www.stepstone.org.nz/
http://www.cdhb.govt.nz/
http://www.cyf.govt.nz/932.htm

Last edited by Joshlin; Aug 30th 2008 at 2:43 am.
Old Aug 30th 2008, 4:17 am
BE Enthusiast

Jay-Producer is just really niceJay-Producer is just really niceJay-Producer is just really niceJay-Producer is just really niceJay-Producer is just really niceJay-Producer is just really niceJay-Producer is just really niceJay-Producer is just really niceJay-Producer is just really nice
Default Re: Christchurch - any advice (emploment etc)?

Hey thanks for that Vicki, much appreciated.

My partner believe it or not got her very first job working in a mental health facility (rehab) in OZ. So she has little experience but does boast 3 degrees, 1 of which is in public health. Me on the other hand I have a degree in community education and have lots of experience in the youth work and homeless sectors. Problem is I cant find anything advertised in these fields and there doesn't seem to be many organisations with websites, unlike in OZ where I found my job advertised on a non-profit organisations website. I'll try CYFS, see if they can help.

Thanks for the links. Very helpful.

Last edited by Jay-Producer; Aug 30th 2008 at 4:20 am.