Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Childish remarks and poor driving!

Childish remarks and poor driving!

Old Mar 30th 2008, 10:57 pm
BE Forum Addict

garryhg is a glorious beacon of lightgarryhg is a glorious beacon of lightgarryhg is a glorious beacon of lightgarryhg is a glorious beacon of lightgarryhg is a glorious beacon of lightgarryhg is a glorious beacon of lightgarryhg is a glorious beacon of lightgarryhg is a glorious beacon of lightgarryhg is a glorious beacon of lightgarryhg is a glorious beacon of lightgarryhg is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Childish remarks and poor driving!

what increasingly annoys me about this forum is posters critisism about other posters critisism(ironic isn't it).

Live and let live is what I say.If people post on here with negative comments then that is how they feel.Who are we to sit in judgment.The lack of visual contact when a discussion is taken place often leads to conversations being taken in the wrong context.I for one have backed of in the last few weeks of this forum due to some posters just going all out to wind people up.

Take what you want from discussions on this forum and ignore what you don't like.

This thread is a classic example as it will cause nothing but arguments,if you want positive comments start a positive thread..jacky
Old Mar 30th 2008, 10:58 pm
Queen of the Underworld

Persephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for the karma Genesis

Might see you in PN when I finally get there!
Old Mar 30th 2008, 11:03 pm
BE Forum Addict

Genesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sue R
Thanks for the karma Genesis

Might see you in PN when I finally get there!
Where are you from in London? Where are you going in NZ? When are you coming??? Question, questions, questions.
Old Mar 30th 2008, 11:07 pm
BE Forum Addict

Genesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by garryhg
what increasingly annoys me about this forum is posters critisism about other posters critisism(ironic isn't it).

Live and let live is what I say.If people post on here with negative comments then that is how they feel.Who are we to sit in judgment.The lack of visual contact when a discussion is taken place often leads to conversations being taken in the wrong context.I for one have backed of in the last few weeks of this forum due to some posters just going all out to wind people up.

Take what you want from discussions on this forum and ignore what you don't like.

This thread is a classic example as it will cause nothing but arguments,if you want positive comments start a positive thread..jacky

Surely we have a right to reply to something we find onerous??
I totally believe in free speech (not derogatory comments..there is a difference).

This thread hasn't caused any rows yet has it?
Old Mar 30th 2008, 11:30 pm
BE Forum Addict

garryhg is a glorious beacon of lightgarryhg is a glorious beacon of lightgarryhg is a glorious beacon of lightgarryhg is a glorious beacon of lightgarryhg is a glorious beacon of lightgarryhg is a glorious beacon of lightgarryhg is a glorious beacon of lightgarryhg is a glorious beacon of lightgarryhg is a glorious beacon of lightgarryhg is a glorious beacon of lightgarryhg is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Genesis
Surely we have a right to reply to something we find onerous??
I totally believe in free speech (not derogatory comments..there is a difference).

This thread hasn't caused any rows yet has it?
sit back and watch,it will,

again how things are perceived on these threads are not always the way they were meant..I'm speaking in general here,not on about the post in question as i have said never read that one..

No one ever jumps in and defends old blighty when its getting slated.But people for some reason feel the constant need to slate anyone who criticizes NZ.

Granted there is a way to say things that could make it sound better(constantly tell my 14 year old this) but hey when emotions are involved things aren't that straight forward..NZ aint Walton Mountain,some posters have hit a lot of problems which have left a real bad taste in their mouths..We have friends who are going back home after about 8 months,the problems they have come up against has left them with a bad opinion of NZ...JACKY
Old Mar 30th 2008, 11:37 pm
Here in Dunedin

southerner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond repute

It's instructive that often mods are making the same comments as posters about some people's posts. On reflection, maybe posters shouldn't need to comment on others' style of posting, and leave it to the mods to do that.

I must admit I sometimes react and point out that a post is a gross generalisation, or an unhelpful or snide comment out of place on a particular thread. And sometimes I'm less eloquent than others in how I say that, which I regret.
Old Mar 30th 2008, 11:48 pm

happynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nice

I read the title and I thought it was going to be exclamations about that crap give way law that has most immigrants bamboozled. Somewhere along the lines of shaking your fist at another motorist and yelling something childish like, 'You poo-poo head!'
Old Mar 31st 2008, 12:12 am
BE Forum Addict

luvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond repute

I've read the whole thread and surely the point no one has raised is that there is a world of difference in going on the 'Moving Back to the UK' thread where posters have already made the move and decided its not for them and/or are feeling very homesick and vulnerable i.e. it is a very insensitive thing to do hence why you were given shortshrift I should imagine and (sorry this sentence is too long) making a flippant remark on the general NZ section which I doubt is going to influence anyone very much either way since there is a balance of positives and negatives around in that section.

For the record apart from the odd boy racer, I find the drivers very polite in Central Wellington.
Old Mar 31st 2008, 2:46 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by luvwelly
I've read the whole thread and surely the point no one has raised is that there is a world of difference in going on the 'Moving Back to the UK' thread where posters have already made the move and decided its not for them and/or are feeling very homesick and vulnerable i.e. it is a very insensitive thing to do hence why you were given shortshrift I should imagine and (sorry this sentence is too long) making a flippant remark on the general NZ section which I doubt is going to influence anyone very much either way since there is a balance of positives and negatives around in that section.

For the record apart from the odd boy racer, I find the drivers very polite in Central Wellington.

Hi, I don't think 'I would not move back to NZ if you gave me £4 million!' is a flippant remark. Posted on the 'moving to NZ' forum it is purely a dig at how poor life was perceived by this individual. While all negative comments are very, very welcome and most important for me personally this was yet another of a salvo of off hand remarks from this individual about how great life in Oz is over NZ.

I am sure it is for her. Oz is a great place. Moving to the other side of the world is an equally sensitive subject for some as indeed returning to the UK also is.

I do not doubt that my comment on the latter board was not needed but I learned from it and am just pointing out that there is not a 2 way street here. I was severely put down on the other forum (probably rightly so..however I was not being caustic or derogatory about the UK, unlike the 4 million remark which I see as rude), so lets face it there is NOT an ethos of free speech that pervades BE.
Old Mar 31st 2008, 2:57 am
Banned

pascalr is just really nicepascalr is just really nicepascalr is just really nicepascalr is just really nicepascalr is just really nicepascalr is just really nicepascalr is just really nicepascalr is just really nicepascalr is just really nicepascalr is just really nice

£5 million wouldnt bring me back.
Old Mar 31st 2008, 3:22 am
By name and by nature

Batty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by pascalr
And the fact is, it wouldn't bring some of us the other way. Nobody has to love everything about where they live but they can still feel that they wouldn't want to live anywhere else and love the life they're living. I think it's that simple and goes for everywhere and anywhere.

And I really don't care if people don't like New Zealand. Each to their own. Horses for courses. Live and let live. etc.etc.etc.
Old Mar 31st 2008, 3:34 am
Forum Regular

NZBee is a glorious beacon of lightNZBee is a glorious beacon of lightNZBee is a glorious beacon of lightNZBee is a glorious beacon of lightNZBee is a glorious beacon of lightNZBee is a glorious beacon of lightNZBee is a glorious beacon of lightNZBee is a glorious beacon of lightNZBee is a glorious beacon of lightNZBee is a glorious beacon of lightNZBee is a glorious beacon of light

I love NZ
Wouldn't go back, unless I absolutely had to!

The driving makes me really angry though :curse:
Old Mar 31st 2008, 4:06 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by pascalr
In love with life in NZ, warts and all. Very content thank you.

However, £5 million to return to the UK??

I am the one pushing my way to the 1st class check in desk. My latter years in the Uk were not that marvellous...but not that bad either...where's the £5 mill??????

I would be off in a shot, NZ is a great place...so is the UK with 5 million in the bank.

Money buys you three important things choices, choices and choices!!

It also buys you time. I need that at 50.

Call me fickle!!!!!!!!
Old Mar 31st 2008, 5:02 am
you dewty owld maan!

lardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Batty
...And I really don't care if people don't like New Zealand. Each to their own. Horses for courses. Live and let live. etc.etc.etc.
excellent post and really gets to the nub of much that goes wrong in the forum - people just personalise criticism or moaning about the country to themselves or their choices and that is,...........well nowhere near as sensible as your view.
Good on ya!
Old Mar 31st 2008, 5:33 am
Just Joined

Leigh-M is a jewel in the roughLeigh-M is a jewel in the roughLeigh-M is a jewel in the roughLeigh-M is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by Genesis
A recent poster who was not happy in NZ and moved the OZ, recently (and unprovoked) came out with the comment they would not go back and live in NZ for a very, very large amount of money. By the way it was not a joke of any sort it was purely a derogatory remark.

May I suggest that comments like this are nothing but acidic and of no help to anyone thinking of moving to NZ. Can you imagine the furore if I posted said sentiment on the 'returning to UK section'?!!!!!

It is a free world and someone who now lives happily in Oz is free to spend as much time as they want to the NZ forum, its a public forum.

We all realise coming to NZ is going to be a very, very mixed bag. NZ is very far from perfect but it has ticked all our boxes after 3 years. Most of us welcome constructive comments about life in NZ. To say the driving standards are shitty is not much good unless you put some meat on the bone.

Like they are allowed to drive too young, without insurance in high powered cars, they are speed freaks and tail gaters and drive down SH1 like its an autobahn. They will not give way and are very unforgiving if you make a mistake. There is an apparently unstoppable boy racer culture and a drink drive one to boot.....I believe that is a reasonable, negative comment. Of course there are exceptions..even areas where NZ driving may be good..this is just what I have seen in my 3 years in NZ.

It may not be true in everyones eyes but from MY frame of reference having been a drive in the UK for almost 30 years its my observation.

So lets not get personal aye? Keep it real?

Have a nice day.

I agree 100% that opinions need to be balanced and based on fact rather than gross generalisations and insults.
Its important to realise that some people come on to this forum looking for some advice so they can make an informed decision about moving to NZ. Its therefore unfair to impose emotionally fuelled insults about NZ to those people. After all is said and done, because of the nature of BE some posters do relish the chance to impose their negative emotions on other people. Sometimes, it feels like they are trying to say " I am hurting therefore everyone else has to hurt" .Its a free world but opinions need to be balanced or forever hold your peace

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.