British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   New Zealand (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/)
-   -   Childish remarks and poor driving! (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/childish-remarks-poor-driving-525562/)

Genesis Mar 30th 2008 6:28 pm

Childish remarks and poor driving!

A recent poster who was not happy in NZ and moved the OZ, recently (and unprovoked) came out with the comment they would not go back and live in NZ for a very, very large amount of money. By the way it was not a joke of any sort it was purely a derogatory remark.

May I suggest that comments like this are nothing but acidic and of no help to anyone thinking of moving to NZ. Can you imagine the furore if I posted said sentiment on the 'returning to UK section'?!!!!!

It is a free world and someone who now lives happily in Oz is free to spend as much time as they want to the NZ forum, its a public forum.

We all realise coming to NZ is going to be a very, very mixed bag. NZ is very far from perfect but it has ticked all our boxes after 3 years. Most of us welcome constructive comments about life in NZ. To say the driving standards are shitty is not much good unless you put some meat on the bone.

Like they are allowed to drive too young, without insurance in high powered cars, they are speed freaks and tail gaters and drive down SH1 like its an autobahn. They will not give way and are very unforgiving if you make a mistake. There is an apparently unstoppable boy racer culture and a drink drive one to boot.....I believe that is a reasonable, negative comment. Of course there are exceptions..even areas where NZ driving may be good..this is just what I have seen in my 3 years in NZ.

It may not be true in everyones eyes but from MY frame of reference having been a drive in the UK for almost 30 years its my observation.

So lets not get personal aye? Keep it real?

Have a nice day.

this charming man Mar 30th 2008 6:32 pm

Re: Childish remarks and poor driving!

Genesis "turn it on again"?

Genesis Mar 30th 2008 6:34 pm

Originally Posted by this charming man (Post 6133185)
Genesis "turn it on again"?

Sorry? Bit too criptic for me.

this charming man Mar 30th 2008 6:49 pm

google?

Genesis Mar 30th 2008 6:56 pm

Originally Posted by this charming man (Post 6133267)
google?

Was it a good album?

this charming man Mar 30th 2008 7:38 pm

just a play on words,your name,your thread! I enjoyed your rant!

Genesis Mar 30th 2008 7:49 pm

Originally Posted by this charming man (Post 6133483)
just a play on words,your name,your thread! I enjoyed your rant!

Why thank you!! Karma sent for supportive words!

garryhg Mar 30th 2008 8:09 pm

why is it ok to say you would never return to UK,buts its not ok to say you woulkd never return to NZ...

If thats the posters opinion surely they are entitled to give it.

everyone is entitled to there opinion GOOD OR BAD....jacky

Genesis Mar 30th 2008 8:38 pm

Originally Posted by garryhg (Post 6133631)
why is it ok to say you would never return to UK,buts its not ok to say you woulkd never return to NZ...

If thats the posters opinion surely they are entitled to give it.

everyone is entitled to there opinion GOOD OR BAD....jacky

Jacky the point isn't if you would or would not return to NZ...its the way it was broached in such a childish manner..'I would not go back to live in NZ if you gave me ten million dollars' why not add ner ner de ner ner? Simply saying '£4million would not get me back in NZ' what does that tell any one? It is not informative it is being acidic in my opinion.

There are other ways of saying things in a more adult manner.

An no, posters are not entitled to give their opinion (apparently). I went on the 'returning to UK' many moons ago and said words to the effect that NZ was really good by comparison to what I had recently left in the UK and I was very happy here. I was told to bugger off and that my comments were not welcome.

I was politely trying to bring to the fore some of the harsh realities about living in the UK that were based on fact. People post about the harsh realities of life in NZ...good on them, because there are lots of them. I was not allowed to post such facts.

I felt qualified to make such comments having very recently left the Uk after 45 years.

garryhg Mar 30th 2008 8:47 pm

Originally Posted by Genesis (Post 6133753)
Jacky the point isn't if you would or would not return to NZ...its the way it was broached in such a childish manner..'I would not go back to live in NZ if you gave me ten million dollars' why not add ner ner de ner ner? Simply saying '£4million would not get me back in NZ' what does that tell any one? It is not informative it is being acidic in my opinion.

There are other ways of saying things in a more adult manner.

fair enough point taken,never actualy read the origonal post..Just started posting again after few weeks break...jacky

karonious Mar 30th 2008 8:56 pm

Like Genesis stated, we are all entitled to out opinions, be they good, bad or indifferent. It is the manner in which we choose to post that causes disagreement. Personal or derogatory remarks are never helpful, they just muddy the waters and lead to conflict. To my mind, the aim of this forum is to provide information for those contemplating the move here or to offer ongoing support to those who already live here. If you have found it to be brilliant: tell us; if you have found it to be the worst thing you have ever done in your life; people need to know that too.
I have found this forum to be really helpful and have made a lot of friends, both 'real' and 'virtual' from it. Take what you need from the forum and use it to make a rational, informed decision. If you want an argument, do it in real life as I'm sure it would bring more satisfaction than a cyber argument :cool:.
Karen

Persephone Mar 30th 2008 9:27 pm

As someone who is in the process of moving to NZ I do welcome all comments whether positive or negative. In fact I am more interested in the negatives as I do wish to know what I'll be letting myself in for!

Any postitives that become apparent on arrival will come as a pleasant surprise whereas I prefer to be forewarned as far as the bad side of life in NZ is concerned. I wouldn't be emigrating if I wasn't already aware of the many positives. And there is no place on Earth that can be called perfect.

However, I do agree with Genesis in that sometimes this forum degenerates into insults and namecalling which is of no help to anyone, least of all someone looking for a balanced view of life there. Constructive criticism good, petty comments a waste of everyone's time.
We all look for different things in life, one person's ideal is anothers hellhole. If someone found NZ so intolerable that they couldn't stay then I would appreciate a balanced criticism of what was so bad rather than petty abuse. Alternatively just refrain from posting perhaps?

Sue :D

P18PPS Mar 30th 2008 9:34 pm

I'm with Jacky on this one - if someone feels so strongly that $10million wouldn't get them back into a country then they should feel free to say this - I'm sure those looking to move out here would rather this information and opinion rather than them not being heard at all.

Personally, I lived in Kuwait a good few years ago, I'm telling you now all the tea in china wouldn't get me back there.... is that derogatory to the country??

For Genesis - sorry I don't know what the original post you are making reference contained so it's difficult to be objective as to whether that was really a personal rant or other. But the forum needs to maintain it's freedom of speach ethic.

lardyl Mar 30th 2008 9:34 pm

/adusts helmet and orders pizza/ :unsure:

Genesis Mar 30th 2008 10:12 pm

Originally Posted by lardyl (Post 6134007)
/adusts helmet and orders pizza/ :unsure:

Hope you got my karma.....very, very funny comment.

Alas I will not arm my salvo as if others do not feel the 4 million comment is childish that's their perrogative.

Peace love and harmony to you all. Even the 4 million person in Oz...life is way too short for all this personal stuff what??

Live and let live..but we should all try to be supportive to those coming and helpful in our time of criticsm rather than maybe just caustic.

Love is in the air.....................