Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Chicken Tikka Masala???

Chicken Tikka Masala???

Old Apr 7th 2016, 8:19 pm
BE Enthusiast

paddy234 has much to be proud ofpaddy234 has much to be proud ofpaddy234 has much to be proud ofpaddy234 has much to be proud ofpaddy234 has much to be proud ofpaddy234 has much to be proud ofpaddy234 has much to be proud ofpaddy234 has much to be proud ofpaddy234 has much to be proud ofpaddy234 has much to be proud ofpaddy234 has much to be proud of
Default Chicken Tikka Masala???

Right I know to most people this is gonna seem like a a strange thread but I have looked everywhere for this and haven't really found an answer and I'm desperate at this stage lol. I was back home in Ireland recently and having got a taste of the chicken Tikka Masala recipe I grew up to love I can't stand Indian food in New Zealand. I am going to make my own recipe but I need to know how the chicken Masala back home is so rich and very sweet however here in NZ it's more spicier and bland. I believe Tikka Masala was invented in England so was hoping Indian food lovers could give me an insight, this Is my favourite dish of all time which is why I have to know this recipe hahaha
Old Apr 7th 2016, 8:42 pm
Life is what YOU make it.

Stormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Chicken Tikka Masala???

Originally Posted by paddy234
Right I know to most people this is gonna seem like a a strange thread but I have looked everywhere for this and haven't really found an answer and I'm desperate at this stage lol. I was back home in Ireland recently and having got a taste of the chicken Tikka Masala recipe I grew up to love I can't stand Indian food in New Zealand. I am going to make my own recipe but I need to know how the chicken Masala back home is so rich and very sweet however here in NZ it's more spicier and bland. I believe Tikka Masala was invented in England so was hoping Indian food lovers could give me an insight, this Is my favourite dish of all time which is why I have to know this recipe hahaha
Try this....
Buy pataks indian tikka masala paste jar 283g online at countdown.co.nz
Old Apr 7th 2016, 8:58 pm
BE Enthusiast

paddy234 has much to be proud ofpaddy234 has much to be proud ofpaddy234 has much to be proud ofpaddy234 has much to be proud ofpaddy234 has much to be proud ofpaddy234 has much to be proud ofpaddy234 has much to be proud ofpaddy234 has much to be proud ofpaddy234 has much to be proud ofpaddy234 has much to be proud ofpaddy234 has much to be proud of

Is it a rich very sweet sauce as the sauces I tried here are quite bland? Cheers :-)
Old Apr 7th 2016, 10:09 pm
Life is what YOU make it.

Stormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by paddy234
Is it a rich very sweet sauce as the sauces I tried here are quite bland? Cheers :-)
It's what I used to use in the UK as I found the curry's made back there were watered down to suit the local preference. I used Pataks Madras paste and Pataks Vindaloo paste where you can add the amount you need to suit yourself (each jar will make 4-5 curry's). If only I could buy Pataks Chilli Pickle here I would be over the moon (no I am not paying the Kiwi UK food shop prices !)
Have you tried Corrianders on St Aphs I ask the cooks to serve me genuine Indian Vindaloo and not European style, bit expensive but good.
Can't comment on the Tikka Masala paste I,m afraid I only like very hot/spicy style curry.

Last edited by Stormer999; Apr 7th 2016 at 10:12 pm.
Old Apr 7th 2016, 11:41 pm

Catchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond repute

Wish I could take this photo and slap the Thai cook in our local "indian" with it.
Old Apr 8th 2016, 6:36 am
She'll be right

Pom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond repute

Try Tikka Talk in Kaiapoi or Curry en Route in Chch - excellent Indian's, a lot of the others I've tried barely pass as curry!
Old Apr 8th 2016, 7:30 am
wish I wasn't here!

Sparkleydiva has a reputation beyond reputeSparkleydiva has a reputation beyond reputeSparkleydiva has a reputation beyond reputeSparkleydiva has a reputation beyond reputeSparkleydiva has a reputation beyond reputeSparkleydiva has a reputation beyond reputeSparkleydiva has a reputation beyond reputeSparkleydiva has a reputation beyond reputeSparkleydiva has a reputation beyond reputeSparkleydiva has a reputation beyond reputeSparkleydiva has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Catchafire
http://i.telegraph.co.uk/multimedia/...y_2710104b.jpg

Wish I could take this photo and slap the Thai cook in our local "indian" with it.
Omg! 6 weeks and that will be my first meal!!! Yum
Old Apr 8th 2016, 7:41 am
BE Enthusiast

Tom H has a reputation beyond reputeTom H has a reputation beyond reputeTom H has a reputation beyond reputeTom H has a reputation beyond reputeTom H has a reputation beyond reputeTom H has a reputation beyond reputeTom H has a reputation beyond reputeTom H has a reputation beyond reputeTom H has a reputation beyond reputeTom H has a reputation beyond reputeTom H has a reputation beyond repute

Have you been to Little India??? They're the only curry places in New Zealand that understand what spice is. There's one in Merivale which I go to, to get our Indian take away.

They do a perfect hot Jalfrezi and a lovely red tikka masala.
Old Apr 8th 2016, 3:34 pm
BE Enthusiast

LittleGreyCat has a reputation beyond reputeLittleGreyCat has a reputation beyond reputeLittleGreyCat has a reputation beyond reputeLittleGreyCat has a reputation beyond reputeLittleGreyCat has a reputation beyond reputeLittleGreyCat has a reputation beyond reputeLittleGreyCat has a reputation beyond reputeLittleGreyCat has a reputation beyond reputeLittleGreyCat has a reputation beyond reputeLittleGreyCat has a reputation beyond reputeLittleGreyCat has a reputation beyond repute

In our recent visit to Auckland we had a few curries.

The question that tickled me was over the amount of chilli.

"Do you want it Kiwi hot or Indian hot?"

The second option can do significant damage.

Little India, in Kingsland, Auckland is pretty good.
Only been there once, but it was good food and they gave you the option to request bespoke stuff.
Old Apr 8th 2016, 10:50 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by LittleGreyCat
"Do you want it Kiwi hot or Indian hot?"

The second option can do significant damage.
and the first option is usually something akin to tomato soup.

Some places do offer or will understand if you ask for 'English hot' also. LOL