phughson is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Certificate of Conformity

Hi,

I am looking into importing my Ford Galaxy to NZ. Vehicle info:

Ford Galaxy
2004 53 plate
1.9TDi

Now, my question is..... will my beloved Galaxy comply with the NZ:

Emmisions standard? Pass the Euro 4 emission standard???
Frontal Impact standards??
Fuel Consumption?
Overall standards?

The Galaxy passes it's MOT with no problem with emissions etc...

I thought it was worth an ask on here before I pay 'Ford' £120 Certificate of Conformity and find out the Galaxy does not meet the NZ standards???

Any advise on this guys?

Thanks,
Paul
Old Aug 17th 2012, 6:08 pm
Forum Regular

higgy2 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Certificate of Conformity

Diesel cars also have to pay RUC - Road User Charge.

You do not pay any tax on Diesel at the Pumps but what happens is you buy
mileage up front. Eacn 1000km costs $48 and you have a certificate
on the windscreen showing the mileage you have paid for.
Old Aug 17th 2012, 9:46 pm

Location: Wellington - I miss Castles, the NHS & English school system
MrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond repute

we emailed the AA in NZ direct and asked them about our car. They were very helpful. This is a copy of what they sent us.

"Many thanks for your enquiry. I don’t blame you one single bit for finding the rules about importing cars very difficult. To help, I need to know a bit more about the car and about your circumstances.

Can you please tell me:

Make

Model

Type of fuel (petrol/diesel)

Date of first registration

How long you have owned it

Expected port of entry in NZ

Can you also send me a picture of the EC Type approval plate (see attachment) and perhaps a copy of the V5? We are looking for the approval number which starts with the letter “e”. This approval number tells us if your car meets some or hopefully all of the required standards. Once I know what we are dealing with, I can advise you if you need to get more information or evidence.

As an immigrant to NZ, you may meet the criteria for an immigrant exemption. This would allow the entry-certification without having o meet the frontal impact and the emission standard. All other standards have to be met.

For a petrol vehicle allow about NZ$1000 for entry-certification and first registration or about NZ$1400 for a diesel.

Other than de-registering the vehicle and making sure it arrives clean, there is nothing else you really need to do at this stage. You only need to get further evidence for the compliance standards if the car doesn’t have an “e” number.

Make sure you can prove that you own it (receipt, bill of sale) and that it was registered (V5). A V5 with your name on will do for both.

Hope this helps"

after sending the stuff to him via email he sent back

"The approval number of 98/14 tells us that your Opel meets all the required standards with the exception of frontal impact and emissions.

You can import this car but you need to apply for an immigrant exemption when the car is presented here in NZ for the entry certification inspection. You can't apply in advance, the application needs to be signed in front of the entry certifier who will witness your signature. Attached is an application for your information.
Take all the documentation with you, I would not leave it in the car. The V5 must be the original, not a fax or a copy."

We then asked about number plates and registration and they sent back

"After the car has arrived, it needs to be cleared by Customs and needs to pass a Bio-Security inspection. Now you can take possession of it. You can't drive away at this stage, it must be transported away. It can go to your house, in to storage or where ever you wish. The normal process is that the car gets delivered straight to a compliance centre. Here is where the car will be entry-certified which is a reasonably invasive inspection that makes sure the car physically meets all the required standards. The certification also enters all the data into to the Landata base.
With the completion of the inspection a form is issued (MR2A) which is needed for the first registration. Now you can bolt on the plates and drive it away, only now is it legal.

From Custom Clearance to driving it away, you need to allow about a week (depending on the work load of the compliance centre.)"

To get this help my husband just emailed them from the aa.co.nz website with his queries.
Old Aug 20th 2012, 12:18 pm
It is what it is Member

simonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by phughson
Hi,

I am looking into importing my Ford Galaxy to NZ. Vehicle info:

Ford Galaxy
2004 53 plate
1.9TDi

Now, my question is..... will my beloved Galaxy comply with the NZ:

Emmisions standard? Pass the Euro 4 emission standard???
Frontal Impact standards??
Fuel Consumption?
Overall standards?

The Galaxy passes it's MOT with no problem with emissions etc...

I thought it was worth an ask on here before I pay 'Ford' £120 Certificate of Conformity and find out the Galaxy does not meet the NZ standards???

Any advise on this guys?

Thanks,
Paul
Check your V5, that should have the Euro Std that it conforms to, then compare with the NZTA site, lots of info on there which will guide you (sorry, 2yrs since I looked up ours).

If the Euro Std is acceptable to NZ then find the sticker with the same number on the car, no sticker on the car then no cigar - no matter what the paperwork says.

Under EC law I believe the first Cert of Conformity is free?

If you have owned the vehicle 12mths before date of shipping ex-UK then you are exempt from GST on import.

If you have owned the vehicle 12mths before conpliance testing then you should be exempt from emissions.

Loads of 3.0 Toyota Estima's here that tow like a dream....