Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Most unwelcome IMPORT to NZ

Most unwelcome IMPORT to NZ

Old Aug 19th 2012, 9:22 am
BE Enthusiast

snaps is just really nicesnaps is just really nicesnaps is just really nicesnaps is just really nicesnaps is just really nicesnaps is just really nicesnaps is just really nicesnaps is just really nicesnaps is just really nicesnaps is just really nice
Default Most unwelcome IMPORT to NZ

Please try to make as unpersonal as possible. One of the main objections appears to be caravans, maybe you have others. Just wondering what really 'gets the goat' when someone new arrives and you see what they've brought from the UK.
Old Aug 19th 2012, 10:30 am
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Most unwelcome IMPORT to NZ

Originally Posted by snaps
Please try to make as unpersonal as possible. One of the main objections appears to be caravans, maybe you have others. Just wondering what really 'gets the goat' when someone new arrives and you see what they've brought from the UK.
Maybe I'm missing something here, but why would it "get the goat" when someone brings things from UK?
Old Aug 19th 2012, 10:44 am
Forum Regular

phyns has much to be proud ofphyns has much to be proud ofphyns has much to be proud ofphyns has much to be proud ofphyns has much to be proud ofphyns has much to be proud ofphyns has much to be proud ofphyns has much to be proud ofphyns has much to be proud ofphyns has much to be proud ofphyns has much to be proud of

snaps, I know some people are anti caravans but with the price of caravans in NZ you're prob making a wise move. Just be careful towing. We are shit drivers and inpatient drivers. Especially passing things on the roads. (although I've earned my driving stripes now living in the UK for 18 years).
Old Aug 19th 2012, 11:00 am
BE Enthusiast

snaps is just really nicesnaps is just really nicesnaps is just really nicesnaps is just really nicesnaps is just really nicesnaps is just really nicesnaps is just really nicesnaps is just really nicesnaps is just really nicesnaps is just really nice

Whoops I may have got the heading a little awkward. I have no intention of bringing a caravan, towed one twice in my life and sold soon afterwards and really felt uncomfortable towing. Orginally from the home of caravans in East Yorkshire where they make just about every caravan going or they did a few years ago. I've got stuck behind caravans many times on the small country roads of Devon/Cornwall. Even been stuck behind one once broken down on a hairpin bend going up a 1 in 4, the driver ignored the MASSIVE sign stating NOT to progress. I just wondered if there were any items turning up like Union Flag, brash football tops, highheels, BBQs etc that were really perhaps unnecessary in NZ.
Old Aug 19th 2012, 11:12 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond repute

How bizarre, I never thought of any such thing nor have I ever heard anyone comment on what other people have and have not brought with them. It's actually mostly the opposite, we might have viewed some things with mild envy and wish we had the foresight to bring certain things. After a number of years it balances out and you end up replacing things more in keeping with the local environment. i.e. the same old crap that everyone else in NZ has.
Old Aug 19th 2012, 11:32 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond repute

I just wondered if there were any items turning up like Union Flag, brash football tops, highheels, BBQs etc that were really perhaps unnecessary in NZ.
I think you underestimate the value of these things.

Anything with European styling, branding etc is like gold and even if you don't want them somebody else will. Moreover, they'll likely be willing to pay good money for them.

http://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/Sear...h_suggested=13
Old Aug 19th 2012, 11:43 am
BE Enthusiast

Taken loads to the Charity Shop today including: a 60' Prestige Pressure cooker, this were th type of thing I was imagining on a list of not required in NZ.
Old Aug 19th 2012, 12:46 pm
BE Forum Addict

j19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond repute

Taken loads to the Charity Shop today including: a 60' Prestige Pressure cooker, this were th type of thing I was imagining on a list of not required in NZ.
If you used it in the UK why would you suddenly not use it in NZ?
Old Aug 19th 2012, 4:51 pm
BE Enthusiast

To tell the truth, only just re-found after a fair number of years hidden in the cupboard and tending to use the Microwave now just about all the time. Sad to see it go though, the lady in the charity shop was keen before the box was down on the floor!!!
Old Aug 19th 2012, 5:58 pm
BE Forum Addict

Justcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond repute

I just wondered if there were any items turning up like Union Flag, brash football tops, highheels, BBQs etc that were really perhaps unnecessary in NZ.
Because you move to NZ doesn't mean you deny everything about the country you come from.
flags, no need to bring one, there are plenty of shops here that sell all the British national flags and most are flown with pride.
There are lots of houses with English, Scottish, welsh or Irish flags fluttering atop a flagpole in the garden. There are also many
flags flying from other country's. National pride isn't something to be ashamed of in NZ.
I hope your not going to judge people who wear sports tops all the time, if so you wont like NZ, everybody has a Allblacks
shirt and they wear them with pride, they are the equivelent of the "brash foot tops" you see in the uk
Do you think kiwi woman all run around the bars and clubs in jandals, there might not be the same level of fashion here
but high heels are not just something worn in the uk, if your not keen on them dont buy them but the shops here are full of them.
If you've got a BBQ bring it with you, there's no point ion throwing it out only to spend more money on another when you get here.
I'm not really sure what your getting at with this thread, the worst thing people bring with them is a pretentious attitude
Old Aug 19th 2012, 11:19 pm
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

Originally Posted by j19fmm
If you used it in the UK why would you suddenly not use it in NZ?
Perhaps because it is 60' ( 60 foot) and won't fit in a container.

Folks here use/wear all the stuff that Snaps has mentioned ,so I'm not sure what Snaps is trying to get at either TBH.
Old Aug 19th 2012, 11:53 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BEVS
Perhaps because it is 60' ( 60 foot) and won't fit in a container.

Folks here use/wear all the stuff that Snaps has mentioned ,so I'm not sure what Snaps is trying to get at either TBH.
I thought it was just me that was confused. Give us a clue Snaps, what sort of thing?

You could make a huge pot of Lob Scouse in that pressure cooker. I've got a Prestige pressure cooker that we got as an engagement present back in 1985. Great for making soups & stews in really quickly.

Caravans are just wrong.
Old Aug 20th 2012, 12:14 am
`

Originally Posted by Vitalstatistix
Caravans are just wrong.
That's all about perception as I keep on telling a caravan-phobic Mr BEVS. These days, I see a caravan - I see a potential affordable bach.

They loves their caravans here.
Old Aug 20th 2012, 12:18 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BEVS
That's all about perception as I keep on telling a caravan-phobic Mr BEVS. These days, I see a caravan - I see a potential affordable bach.

They loves their caravans here.
I see your point.

A friend of mine went on holiday to France last month & stayed in a caravan. I was telling her about our house windows being like caravan windows BUT the caravan they stayed in was double-glazed. So even caravans in France are better made than NZ homes
Old Aug 20th 2012, 12:26 am
`

The OP could have sold the pressure cooker on Trade Me

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.