British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   New Zealand (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/)
-   -   CAT – astrophe, Un, deux, trois, CAT, SANK - SURVEY (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/cat-%E2%80%93-astrophe-un-deux-trois-cat-sank-survey-519912/)

Gill and Rob Mar 9th 2008 1:32 am

Re: CAT – astrophe, Un, deux, trois, CAT, SANK - SURVEY

Friends of ours in NZ spent the last 2 years house sitting and looking after this guys 2 cats while he has been working in Europe. Two weeks before he returned one of the cats was run over right outside the house !!!! The remaining cat then promptly MOVED in with the neighbour and her cat, refusing to return even to be fed !!!

Gill

hazeandsteve Mar 9th 2008 5:10 am

Originally Posted by pangor (Post 6036031)
Very roughly - a couple of thousand pounds.

Absolute rubbish. We paid just over a grand, and that included a month in a cattery and all the necessary veterinary tests. Do the checks yourself and transportation inc paperwork is about £500-£600.

If you don't like the cat, then give it to a rescue shelter. If the wife makes so much of a fuss, she obviously loves the cat more than you, so leave her there as well.

owen Mar 9th 2008 6:08 am

ONE SACK

TWO BRICKS

ONE CANAL

JOB DONE

CHEAP AS CHIPS:cool:

hjmilligan Mar 9th 2008 6:42 am

We had a cat back in the UK,brought our dog over as he was much younger than our cat,luckily for us the woman who brought our house took the cat as well,maybe this is an option for you?
The woman who took on our cat is in regular contact with my sister that lives near by as she goes round to feed her when she goes away on holiday so we get regular updates on how shes doing,but my dog misses having his ears cleaned by her :D

Helen

Kerrygold Mar 9th 2008 7:42 am

We're taking two of our cats and the total cost, £1,600.00, not including vets fees. - Horrific but we feel it's worth it as they will help us to settle once we get there.

As for rehoming them here - just ask EVERYONE you know. We have two cats who wouldn't pass the medical and I quite literally told everyone i knew, friends, relatives, work colleagues. I've found a fantastic home for them with a family who love animals and have children who are used to them. It has taken a huge worry off my mind.

pangor Mar 9th 2008 8:05 am

Originally Posted by hazeandsteve (Post 6036945)
Absolute rubbish. We paid just over a grand, and that included a month in a cattery and all the necessary veterinary tests. Do the checks yourself and transportation inc paperwork is about £500-£600.

If you don't like the cat, then give it to a rescue shelter. If the wife makes so much of a fuss, she obviously loves the cat more than you, so leave her there as well.

You are right ( if a little pedantic ) - have just asked Nicola and our two cats were about that much as well.

And we are all glad we did - as soon as the cats arrived it suddenly felt much more like home.

and I would say that this comment is quite perceptive -

Originally Posted by Bo-Jangles (Post 6033158)
If after having cashed up, it's really going to hurt your budget so much to bring the little darling puss, you have my sympathies for the tough times ahead for you in NZ. :eek:

peter

Sam Greenfield Mar 9th 2008 8:38 am

Originally Posted by Steve and the Dragon (Post 6031780)
Looks like we have sold our house, but had to knock price down a bit! Anyway, because of that - budget slightly changed…..

For the last six years or so we have enjoyed the disdainful company of our Feline Friend, a Cat Protection League rescuee who now somewhat aloofly chooses to honour us with her presence. Originally I thought nothing of agreeing to the cost of transporting Feline to NZ. As our goal posts have changed, I can now think of a huge number of alternative uses for that cost.

However, my pondering of the financial considerations involved is overshadowed by the “alleged” emotional requirement to keep this beloved animal close to us. Apparently, we cannot re-home because there is not another single person in the UK who would not murder her or allow her to come to some other unmentionable harm the very instant our plane has taken off. Therefore I have become, to this cat, the equivalent of Adolph Eichmann.

The cat in question is a pain in the A*%*. She contributes nothing, somehow manages to nag in a way that makes one imagine painful things happening to her, and in general makes it clear that our presence around her is barely tolerated. I am personally at peace with the emotional void that would follow her absence from my day to day life.

She has not been a complete negative influence however. Should employment opportunities be scarce, the experience I have gained, opening and closing the front door, should qualify me for a Bellboy position at Noah’s Hotel.

My reasoned financial arguments are met with counter-arguments such as “but she’s like our child” (the Dragon is a Pom by the way and anthropomorphizing like crazy). How can I fight against the profundity of my wife’s logic, or her influence on the popular opinion of my two gullible daughters?

A basic law of the universe seems to be that wives don’t in general believe a word their husbands tell them until the same facts are presented by a third party. With this in mind, I think our feline quandary could be helped along by a survey of opinion.

Apart from anything else, there is apparently an overpopulation of cats in NZ, and I am keen to remain environmentally responsible.

Steve

Hi Steve
The love between human and animal is so strong - glad your feeling it too man :rofl: that is one of the funniest posts i have read in a long time - dont often venture into the NZ forum but people like you keep dragging me back - :rofl:

Steve and the Dragon Mar 9th 2008 6:27 pm

What an excellent survey outcome, clearly and irrefutably suggesting that the sensible course of action is to depart sans chat. Thank you all. Naturally this weight of public opinion matters little in the face of the Dragon’s pro-pussycat regime, and so in hindsight the general effort to sway her opinion was doomed to failure from the start.

Faced with little choice but to comply, I have found that costs vary from the equivalent of Feline Business Class through to the Beijing stopover special. What ever the cost though, large or small: it’s a cat! Perhaps we could get away with heavily sedating it for the duration of the flight and the Dragon can wear it on her head, Davy Crockett Style?

However we live in hope, and, in a universe of infinite possibilities. The many worthy ideas submitted here will be taken into grateful consideration, and you may want to keep your eyes peeled for my next post - Useful Alibis in the Event of a Missing Pet.

Peter, further to your comment on Moonlighting, it’s true that I’ve kept my feelings for this cat a secret for so long now. This might amuse you if you haven’t already seen it:

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/section/1/...ectid=10495111

The worrying thing is that this took place in the town next to my home town!

How do you make a cat flap?
Answers on a postcard please…..

Steve

scrubbedexpat094 Mar 9th 2008 9:47 pm

Originally Posted by Steve and the Dragon (Post 6038830)

Steve

A drop from 20m might just do it ;)

hazeandsteve Mar 11th 2008 8:20 am

How do you make a cat bark?

Petrol.....match......."woof!"

kamburu pat Mar 11th 2008 3:28 pm

Originally Posted by Steve and the Dragon (Post 6031780)
Looks like we have sold our house, but had to knock price down a bit! Anyway, because of that - budget slightly changed…..

For the last six years or so we have enjoyed the disdainful company of our Feline Friend, a Cat Protection League rescuee who now somewhat aloofly chooses to honour us with her presence. Originally I thought nothing of agreeing to the cost of transporting Feline to NZ. As our goal posts have changed, I can now think of a huge number of alternative uses for that cost.

However, my pondering of the financial considerations involved is overshadowed by the “alleged” emotional requirement to keep this beloved animal close to us. Apparently, we cannot re-home because there is not another single person in the UK who would not murder her or allow her to come to some other unmentionable harm the very instant our plane has taken off. Therefore I have become, to this cat, the equivalent of Adolph Eichmann.

The cat in question is a pain in the A*%*. She contributes nothing, somehow manages to nag in a way that makes one imagine painful things happening to her, and in general makes it clear that our presence around her is barely tolerated. I am personally at peace with the emotional void that would follow her absence from my day to day life.

She has not been a complete negative influence however. Should employment opportunities be scarce, the experience I have gained, opening and closing the front door, should qualify me for a Bellboy position at Noah’s Hotel.

My reasoned financial arguments are met with counter-arguments such as “but she’s like our child” (the Dragon is a Pom by the way and anthropomorphizing like crazy). How can I fight against the profundity of my wife’s logic, or her influence on the popular opinion of my two gullible daughters?

A basic law of the universe seems to be that wives don’t in general believe a word their husbands tell them until the same facts are presented by a third party. With this in mind, I think our feline quandary could be helped along by a survey of opinion.

Apart from anything else, there is apparently an overpopulation of cats in NZ, and I am keen to remain environmentally responsible.

Steve

Steve,
When our son and his partner moved to Wellington from Britain twelve years ago he told me the cat was going too, at a cost of £500, when I asked him why he was taking the cat all that way his reply was, "would you have left me behind when I was a child when you went to live in Africa!?" I should point out that Im not a cat lover!
Pat.

hazeandsteve Mar 12th 2008 5:50 am

I must point out this is how we felt.
Our cat is eleven, and I've had her since she was five weeks old. She used to fit in the palm of my hand, and still sleeps at the foot of our bed....:wub:

truditjh Mar 15th 2008 11:01 am

Originally Posted by Steve and the Dragon (Post 6038830)
What an excellent survey outcome, clearly and irrefutably suggesting that the sensible course of action is to depart sans chat. Thank you all. Naturally this weight of public opinion matters little in the face of the Dragon’s pro-pussycat regime, and so in hindsight the general effort to sway her opinion was doomed to failure from the start.

Faced with little choice but to comply, I have found that costs vary from the equivalent of Feline Business Class through to the Beijing stopover special. What ever the cost though, large or small: it’s a cat! Perhaps we could get away with heavily sedating it for the duration of the flight and the Dragon can wear it on her head, Davy Crockett Style?

However we live in hope, and, in a universe of infinite possibilities. The many worthy ideas submitted here will be taken into grateful consideration, and you may want to keep your eyes peeled for my next post - Useful Alibis in the Event of a Missing Pet.

Peter, further to your comment on Moonlighting, it’s true that I’ve kept my feelings for this cat a secret for so long now. This might amuse you if you haven’t already seen it:

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/section/1/...ectid=10495111

The worrying thing is that this took place in the town next to my home town!

Steve

I know this doesnt help one iota, but got sent this the other day and it just seemed appropriate to post it here..

Dear Dogs and Cats,

The dishes with the paw print are yours and contain your food. The other dishes are mine and contain my food. Please note, placing a paw print in the middle of my plate and food does not stake a claim for it becoming your food and dish, nor do I find that aesthetically pleasing in the slightest.

The stairway was not designed by NASCAR and is not a racetrack. Beating me to the bottom is not the object. Tripping me doesn't help because I fall faster than you can run.

I cannot buy anything bigger than a king sized bed. I am very sorry about this. Do not think I will continue sleeping on the couch to ensure your comfort. Dogs and cats can actually curl up in a ball when they sleep. It is not necessary to sleep perpendicular to each other stretched out to the fullest extent possible. I also know that sticking tails straight out and having tongues hanging out the other end to maximize space is nothing but sarcasm.

For the last time, there is not a secret exit from the bathroom. If by some miracle I beat you there and manage to get the door shut, it is not necessary to claw, whine, meow, try to turn the knob or get your paw under the edge and try to pull the door open. I must exit through the same door I entered. Also, I have been using the bathroom for years -- canine or feline attendance is not required.

The proper order is kiss me, then go smell the other dog or cat's butt. I cannot stress this enough! To pacify you, my dear pets, I have posted the following message on our front door:

To All Non-Pet Owners Who Visit & Like to Complain About Our Pets:

1. They live here. You don't.
2. If you don't want their hair on your clothes, stay off the furniture.
(That's why they call it 'fur'niture.)
3. I like my pets a lot better than I like most people.
4. To you, it's an animal. To me, he/she is an adopted son/daughter who is
short, hairy, walks on all fours and doesn't speak clearly.

Remember: In many ways, dogs and cats are better than kids because they:
1. Eat less
2. Don't ask for money all the time
3. Are easier to train
4. Normally come when called
5. Never ask to drive the car
6. Don't hang out with drug-using friends
7. Don't smoke or drink
8. Don't have to buy the latest fashions
9. Don't want to wear your clothes
10. Don't need a 'gazillion' dollars for college.

And finally,

11. If they get pregnant, you can sell their children.

Bo-Jangles Mar 15th 2008 10:01 pm

Originally Posted by truditjh (Post 6066099)

The stairway was not designed by NASCAR and is not a racetrack. Beating me to the bottom is not the object. Tripping me doesn't help because I fall faster than you can run.

I cannot buy anything bigger than a king sized bed. I am very sorry about this. Do not think I will continue sleeping on the couch to ensure your comfort. Dogs and cats can actually curl up in a ball when they sleep. It is not necessary to sleep perpendicular to each other stretched out to the fullest extent possible. I also know that sticking tails straight out and having tongues hanging out the other end to maximize space is nothing but sarcasm.

For the last time, there is not a secret exit from the bathroom. If by some miracle I beat you there and manage to get the door shut, it is not necessary to claw, whine, meow, try to turn the knob or get your paw under the edge and try to pull the door open. I must exit through the same door I entered. Also, I have been using the bathroom for years -- canine or feline attendance is not required.

:rofl:

dlmckay Mar 16th 2008 12:58 am

I think you may find that in common with other rescue organisations, the CPL may have a clause in their contract of adoption that you may not rehome the cat without their say-so and if you choose not to have the cat anymore, it should be returned to them. :)

I had 7 cats and 2 dogs when we decided to leave for NZ.

The 3 cats that I got for myself came with us. The four other freeloaders and hangers-on were rehomed privately. The flight for 3 cats was around £1,500 so can't imagine bringing one would be several grand!

I'm with Bo-Jangles - if you're worried you'll definitely need that extra $2,400 when you get here, then you may wish to rethink emigrating!