British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   New Zealand (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/)
-   -   CAT – astrophe, Un, deux, trois, CAT, SANK - SURVEY (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/cat-%E2%80%93-astrophe-un-deux-trois-cat-sank-survey-519912/)

Steve and the Dragon Mar 7th 2008 6:42 pm

CAT – astrophe, Un, deux, trois, CAT, SANK - SURVEY

Looks like we have sold our house, but had to knock price down a bit! Anyway, because of that - budget slightly changed…..

For the last six years or so we have enjoyed the disdainful company of our Feline Friend, a Cat Protection League rescuee who now somewhat aloofly chooses to honour us with her presence. Originally I thought nothing of agreeing to the cost of transporting Feline to NZ. As our goal posts have changed, I can now think of a huge number of alternative uses for that cost.

However, my pondering of the financial considerations involved is overshadowed by the “alleged” emotional requirement to keep this beloved animal close to us. Apparently, we cannot re-home because there is not another single person in the UK who would not murder her or allow her to come to some other unmentionable harm the very instant our plane has taken off. Therefore I have become, to this cat, the equivalent of Adolph Eichmann.

The cat in question is a pain in the A*%*. She contributes nothing, somehow manages to nag in a way that makes one imagine painful things happening to her, and in general makes it clear that our presence around her is barely tolerated. I am personally at peace with the emotional void that would follow her absence from my day to day life.

She has not been a complete negative influence however. Should employment opportunities be scarce, the experience I have gained, opening and closing the front door, should qualify me for a Bellboy position at Noah’s Hotel.

My reasoned financial arguments are met with counter-arguments such as “but she’s like our child” (the Dragon is a Pom by the way and anthropomorphizing like crazy). How can I fight against the profundity of my wife’s logic, or her influence on the popular opinion of my two gullible daughters?

A basic law of the universe seems to be that wives don’t in general believe a word their husbands tell them until the same facts are presented by a third party. With this in mind, I think our feline quandary could be helped along by a survey of opinion.

Apart from anything else, there is apparently an overpopulation of cats in NZ, and I am keen to remain environmentally responsible.

Steve

dreamfish Mar 7th 2008 7:22 pm

Re: CAT – astrophe, Un, deux, trois, CAT, SANK - SURVEY

LMAO bloody brilliant :rofl:

do what my hubby did - waited till i was away visiting family, came back and he had sent my two cats to the cats protection league :)

Of course i miss them dearly but I dont believe it would have been fair to bring them over.

Anyway I am here, can laugh about it, am not damaged for life, and the kitties are still alive.:thumbsup:

dribble Mar 7th 2008 7:39 pm

Being a previously named party on all this, I share your pain.

My advice is to send the family out and spend the time wisely, have your heart to heart with the furry beast, stick it in a box/cat transporter and GET RID.... (of course we are not talking little concrete boots and a murky dike, more along the lines of where it came from originally.)

Your immediate satisfaction is released until the tears appear on your loved ones faces. Tears dont cost as much as a vet bill, insurance, cat food/litter so all be it harsh, it makes sence to the male of the species. Being the bread winner I thought I held the purse strings, however there still has to be compensation for your actions to help sooth the heart of those that are missing the unloyal 4 legged whinging previous family member.

Good luck buddy, bear in mind the love and joy you will have once you land , this will help all parties and soon defer their attention to the scenary and great culture.
:thumbsup:

Steve and the Dragon Mar 7th 2008 7:54 pm

How wonderful to get such a quick response. Thank you. The notion of carrying out a “surprise” pussycat relocation while the family is out has been anticipated and addressed already by my clairvoyant wife. Not only am I under the pain of death if I even think about considering this course of action, but in the interests of my own self-preservation I must now protect said Feline against any third-party danger in case the blame falls on me. This has increased the levels of endearment I feel towards the Feline.

In order for her to have an “accident” I need witnesses and absolute proof that it wasn’t my fault. Does anyone have the number for a pussycat hitman?

nelsonpom Mar 7th 2008 8:19 pm

Originally Posted by Steve and the Dragon (Post 6031995)
How wonderful to get such a quick response. Thank you. The notion of carrying out a “surprise” pussycat relocation while the family is out has been anticipated and addressed already by my clairvoyant wife. Not only am I under the pain of death if I even think about considering this course of action, but in the interests of my own self-preservation I must now protect said Feline against any third-party danger in case the blame falls on me. This has increased the levels of endearment I feel towards the Feline.

In order for her to have an “accident” I need witnesses and absolute proof that it wasn’t my fault. Does anyone have the number for a pussycat hitman?

Sorry mate I disagree, flew both our cats over here 2.5 years ago and despite the cost it has def been worth it. Helped us to settle in having our 'family' around us, and both cats have flourished in NZ.

dribble Mar 7th 2008 8:30 pm

Well, we are enjoying the country and the new life, so we havent had time to look after a cat. Lightening the load on the wallet means that your reduced income can be placed in a more beneficial pot, like enjoying life.
Heartless approach, but in reality dedicating funds gets more emphasis once your 12k miles from your family and need the comform of the little extra income that may have previously been missed due to the running cost of said beast. ;)

Nerine Mar 7th 2008 9:44 pm

leave it with a relative or friend.

dreamfish Mar 7th 2008 10:20 pm

Originally Posted by Steve and the Dragon (Post 6031995)
How wonderful to get such a quick response. Thank you. The notion of carrying out a “surprise” pussycat relocation while the family is out has been anticipated and addressed already by my clairvoyant wife.

interesting you say that....i kinda thought he might but wasnt sure. However somewhere between the A14 and A10 I suddenly got this feeling of being in a box peering through a cage. It was around this time that dribble was 'cohersing' my beloveds into their transport. So glad I wasnt there to witness his persuasion tactics!

To be honest, although i miss my puds dearly, you need the freedom. Not all rentals allow pets, so you might have to rely on a friend to send the cats on once you are settled, or use a cattery till you find somewhere. Or perhaps you will be lucky enough to get a leniant landlord.

And they are a 'burden' in that you can't just up and leave to go on a road trip for a few days to investigate your new home, without having to rely on a good neighbour to feed and water your pets.

I hear vet fees are quite pricey here too but I dont know for sure.

I have a goldfish now.

pangor Mar 8th 2008 1:33 am

Originally Posted by Steve and the Dragon (Post 6031780)

The cat in question is a pain in the A*%*. She contributes nothing, somehow manages to nag in a way that makes one imagine painful things happening to her, and in general makes it clear that our presence around her is barely tolerated.

Steve

Hmmmm. . . perhaps I should have left my teenagers behind :)

peter ( who insisted on bringing our two cats ! )

Bo-Jangles Mar 8th 2008 4:07 am

My advice for Mrs Steve, (I refuse to use your term of endearment) if you do decide not to bring your beloved family pet, there's plenty cute wee kitties in NZ that could use a good home. SPCA are always crying out for rehoming of rescued cats and kittens.

If after having cashed up, it's really going to hurt your budget so much to bring the little darling puss, you have my sympathies for the tough times ahead for you in NZ. :eek:

luvwelly Mar 8th 2008 5:04 am

Have no pets at all but am interested in how much does it cost roughly to bring a cat over?

pangor Mar 8th 2008 9:48 pm

Originally Posted by luvwelly (Post 6033213)
Have no pets at all but am interested in how much does it cost roughly to bring a cat over?

Very roughly - a couple of thousand pounds.

There are threads here somewhere with more exact costs if your curiosity extends that far : )

Reading the original post again I am reminded of, I think it was Moonlightling, where the two main characters spent the entire time hating each other, but deep down under the surface, they were really very much in . . . . love.

peter

luvwelly Mar 8th 2008 10:00 pm

Originally Posted by pangor (Post 6036031)
Very roughly - a couple of thousand pounds.

Reading the original post again I am reminded of, I think it was Moonlightling, where the two main characters spent the entire time hating each other, but deep down under the surface, they were really very much in . . . . love.

peter

Thanks..I can see why the OP thinks the money might be better spent elsewhere then....not so sure he is 'in love' with the cat actually. I think any vets bills will seem cheap in comparison at least.

Pinkie Pie Mar 8th 2008 10:06 pm

Looks like we have sold our house, but had to knock price down a bit! Anyway, because of that - budget slightly changed…..

For the last six years or so we have enjoyed the disdainful company of our Feline Friend, a Cat Protection League rescuee who now somewhat aloofly chooses to honour us with her presence. Originally I thought nothing of agreeing to the cost of transporting Feline to NZ. As our goal posts have changed, I can now think of a huge number of alternative uses for that cost.

However, my pondering of the financial considerations involved is overshadowed by the “alleged” emotional requirement to keep this beloved animal close to us. Apparently, we cannot re-home because there is not another single person in the UK who would not murder her or allow her to come to some other unmentionable harm the very instant our plane has taken off. Therefore I have become, to this cat, the equivalent of Adolph Eichmann.

The cat in question is a pain in the A*%*. She contributes nothing, somehow manages to nag in a way that makes one imagine painful things happening to her, and in general makes it clear that our presence around her is barely tolerated. I am personally at peace with the emotional void that would follow her absence from my day to day life.

She has not been a complete negative influence however. Should employment opportunities be scarce, the experience I have gained, opening and closing the front door, should qualify me for a Bellboy position at Noah’s Hotel.

My reasoned financial arguments are met with counter-arguments such as “but she’s like our child” (the Dragon is a Pom by the way and anthropomorphizing like crazy). How can I fight against the profundity of my wife’s logic, or her influence on the popular opinion of my two gullible daughters?

A basic law of the universe seems to be that wives don’t in general believe a word their husbands tell them until the same facts are presented by a third party. With this in mind, I think our feline quandary could be helped along by a survey of opinion.

Apart from anything else, there is apparently an overpopulation of cats in NZ, and I am keen to remain environmentally responsible.

Steve

:lol: Have some karma for one of the funniest posts I've seen for a while...it helps of course that I don't like cats and could probably help you with some suggestions for plotting it's 'accidental' downfall...:lol:

Gill and Rob Mar 9th 2008 1:29 am

Steve

Cost to bring cat to NZ £2000 or Single trip to vet in UK £45

New cat (HUGE CHOICE) from SPCA in NZ ........ $45

I rest my case.
Gill (Only joking !!! I have 2 cats that we got here in NZ)