Caravan

Old Apr 19th 2011, 11:42 pm
Forum Regular

Ex Aucklander is a name known to allEx Aucklander is a name known to allEx Aucklander is a name known to allEx Aucklander is a name known to allEx Aucklander is a name known to allEx Aucklander is a name known to allEx Aucklander is a name known to allEx Aucklander is a name known to allEx Aucklander is a name known to allEx Aucklander is a name known to allEx Aucklander is a name known to all
Default Re: Caravan

BEVS, I think it is a bit of a minefield & they move the goal posts

http://www.customs.govt.nz/NR/rdonly...actSheet29.pdf
Old Apr 20th 2011, 12:00 am
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

Originally Posted by Aucklander
BEVS, I think it is a bit of a minefield & they move the goal posts
My head hurts now. and we've strayed from caravans. Naughty old us.

It said this on the fact sheet though

Rules on ownership and use
The actual age of a vehicle/boat is of no relevance in terms of eligibility for duty-free entry. Assuming that an importer meets the relevant residency requirements, the factor which determines whether a vehicle/boat can be imported without payment of Customs charges, is the ability to prove not less than 12 months personal ownership and personal use overseas.

I dunno.
Old Apr 20th 2011, 12:06 am
`

Here we go Jan0512. I knew there was an old thread somewhere with some posts from someone that brought in a caravan. It's a bit old but should be helpful a wee bit

Importing a Caravan
Old Apr 20th 2011, 12:17 am
Forum Regular

Ex Aucklander is a name known to allEx Aucklander is a name known to allEx Aucklander is a name known to allEx Aucklander is a name known to allEx Aucklander is a name known to allEx Aucklander is a name known to allEx Aucklander is a name known to allEx Aucklander is a name known to allEx Aucklander is a name known to allEx Aucklander is a name known to allEx Aucklander is a name known to all

Originally Posted by BEVS
Here we go Jan0512. I knew there was an old thread somewhere with some posts from someone that brought in a caravan. It's a bit old but should be helpful a wee bit

Importing a Caravan
Bevs dont want to be negative but they change the rules from time to time.

In 2001 the car we imported was LHD & we were able to register it with the afore mentioned charges. Now however the only way we could import & register our LHD is by converting it to RHD.
This rule does not apply if the vehicle is over 20 years old or of special interest & there is a quota per year.
Sorry I know it has nothing to do with caravan but I strongly suggest the original poster gets prior advice from AA & Customs before going ahead or relying on other peoples experiences.
Old Apr 20th 2011, 12:34 am
`

Thing I was reading about your vehicle Aucklander was that it was under a year old. That seems to make a difference.

Yes. It would be good to have a bit of up to date info on caravans and cars. All info is welcome.
Old Apr 20th 2011, 1:05 am
BE Forum Addict

Jan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond repute

If it,s a good one bring it they are hugely expensive here and they are not built the same I wouldn,t bother bringing a car over but a decent caravan is gonna last forever

Neil
Old Apr 20th 2011, 6:27 am
It is what it is Member

simonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond repute

9 Nth old car would attract get and not be allowed much depreciation, hope you knew that beforehand?

would hope caravan treated as a trailer as for get but you will need receipts to demonstrate length of ownership as no sep registration in UK as in NZ. When I brought a boat trailer it was just a case of wof and buying a reg for it, no compliance for a light trailer, not sure if a caravan treated diff to a trailer here???
Old Apr 20th 2011, 7:50 am
BE Enthusiast

Wessa is a splendid one to beholdWessa is a splendid one to beholdWessa is a splendid one to beholdWessa is a splendid one to beholdWessa is a splendid one to beholdWessa is a splendid one to beholdWessa is a splendid one to beholdWessa is a splendid one to beholdWessa is a splendid one to beholdWessa is a splendid one to beholdWessa is a splendid one to behold

If you can afford to bring yours then do so.. ive only seen a few to uk standard, the rest are shockingly poor quality.. If i was in your shoes id either think about bringing yours or selling it in the uk and buy a camper van when you get here, not saying they are great here too but they are better than the caravans!.. Try to look on the sites like trade me etc at the quality and judge for yourself..

I know a couple of people who have caravans and they treat them like a family member.. A funny breed eh..

Good luck.

Gary.
Old Apr 20th 2011, 9:42 am
BE Enthusiast

shirl has a reputation beyond reputeshirl has a reputation beyond reputeshirl has a reputation beyond reputeshirl has a reputation beyond reputeshirl has a reputation beyond reputeshirl has a reputation beyond reputeshirl has a reputation beyond reputeshirl has a reputation beyond reputeshirl has a reputation beyond reputeshirl has a reputation beyond reputeshirl has a reputation beyond repute

Our biggest regret was not bringing our fixed bed twin axle caravan with us. We can't afford one like that here now!
Old Apr 21st 2011, 12:53 am
It is what it is Member

simonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BEVS
Thing I was reading about your vehicle Aucklander was that it was under a year old. That seems to make a difference.
The difference is that you can't by definition, have owned a 9mth-old car for more than 12mths and it is THAT that makes the difference.
Old Apr 21st 2011, 8:17 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond repute

I reckon whatever it costs you to get it here will be well worth it, we've seen some right crappy old vans for sale of the age and state that you would pay less than five hundred quids in the UK, being sold for many thousands of dollars here.

Here' one example of a very 1975 13 foot three berth with statrting price of $6,100

http://www.trademe.co.nz/Trade-Me-Mo...-368536592.htm

Here's one to watch, current bid at $1690 for a 1972 old wreck

http://www.trademe.co.nz/Trade-Me-Mo...-369972610.htm
Old Apr 25th 2011, 8:02 am
Just Joined

wendels is an unknown quantity at this point

We brought our 2008 compass omega with us in 2009, no problems pretty straightforward thing to do. A bit of paperwork and electricwork when we got here , didn't cost a huge amount. It went into our 40ft container with household goods. Def bring it if you can we use it lots here , and would easily sell it for alot more than it cost in n. Ireland.
Old Apr 25th 2011, 8:44 am
BE Forum Addict

Jan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bo-Jangles
I reckon whatever it costs you to get it here will be well worth it, we've seen some right crappy old vans for sale of the age and state that you would pay less than five hundred quids in the UK, being sold for many thousands of dollars here.

Here' one example of a very 1975 13 foot three berth with statrting price of $6,100

http://www.trademe.co.nz/Trade-Me-Mo...-368536592.htm

Here's one to watch, current bid at $1690 for a 1972 old wreck

http://www.trademe.co.nz/Trade-Me-Mo...-369972610.htm
That second one is hilarious, nothing in it at all, and nothing works, yet they think its worth $5500

Jan
Old Apr 26th 2011, 8:26 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jan n Neil
That second one is hilarious, nothing in it at all, and nothing works, yet they think its worth $5500

Jan

You'd probably have a hard job giving it away in the UK, but bids are up here $2650 at the moment. Would be a good business opportunity there for someone to buy up all those 300 quid old dunger caravans from the UK and bring them over.