British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   New Zealand (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/)
-   -   Can't resist a reference to the Manchester Derby (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/cant-resist-reference-manchester-derby-632179/)

lardyl Sep 26th 2009 2:21 am

Re: Can't resist a reference to the Manchester Derby

Originally Posted by zoglet (Post 7965704)
Nah, Agrington Stanley more like! :)

far too flash for me.........guess again.....

there are some clues there - Harry me grandad's little brother was a pro with the Bantams (even if you don't know who they are/were then you could look it up)....he also played as the pro/captain of the town's cricket team in the Birmingham league (in the town where one of the manure's greatest ever players was born) .....and he scored against scotland at the most local ground to that player's birthplace that belongs to a currnent premiership club......

me dad was with another "blue" team quite local to those two and grandad was with another local team but none of the above.....which is the team I support and found out about after he had died.....and he played for......

have a guess.....I've almost given it to ya........

also for a bonus point who was the famous footballing personality that got the Bantams "re-named"? and which other club are still the Bantams.....??

oh yeah and what was the most important thing that the aforementioned personality did for English football ?

if you fail on this then you are clearly not a football fan.......:rolleyes:

Enjoy, Lardy "Stato" L.

zoglet Sep 28th 2009 1:21 am

Originally Posted by lardyl (Post 7966220)
far too flash for me.........guess again.....

there are some clues there - Harry me grandad's little brother was a pro with the Bantams (even if you don't know who they are/were then you could look it up)....he also played as the pro/captain of the town's cricket team in the Birmingham league (in the town where one of the manure's greatest ever players was born) .....and he scored against scotland at the most local ground to that player's birthplace that belongs to a currnent premiership club......

me dad was with another "blue" team quite local to those two and grandad was with another local team but none of the above.....which is the team I support and found out about after he had died.....and he played for......

have a guess.....I've almost given it to ya........

also for a bonus point who was the famous footballing personality that got the Bantams "re-named"? and which other club are still the Bantams.....??

oh yeah and what was the most important thing that the aforementioned personality did for English football ?

if you fail on this then you are clearly not a football fan.......:rolleyes:

Enjoy, Lardy "Stato" L.

Typical small town mentality - "if you don't know my family -you dont know football!" :p

Anyhow, I'v lost interest in your team - if you had pride in them you wouldnt care what anyone else says-least thats how I feel about Man U; mind you, at least they are a proper team!

But on a brighter note -the reds go marching on,on on!

Hope this helps! :thumbsup:

this charming man Sep 28th 2009 1:28 am

that Lard arse is dull............

lardyl Sep 28th 2009 2:09 am

mmm.....and Mancs are such a beacon of footballing light.......:rofl:

zoglet Sep 28th 2009 4:12 am

Originally Posted by lardyl (Post 7970118)
mmm.....and Mancs are such a beacon of footballing light.......:rofl:

^^^ has 'proper football team' envy! ;)

scrubbedexpat094 Sep 28th 2009 4:15 am

Boys, boys, it's only a game!

Ducks & runs for cover :rofl:

lardyl Sep 28th 2009 4:54 am

Originally Posted by zoglet (Post 7970316)
^^^ has 'proper football team' envy! ;)

better than the type of envy some people "salve" by supporting the "big club".....

or even worse those parents who think their little Johnny is the next Becks......and want to abuse you every time you get it wrong as a coach or ref.

......never mind the kids that spend too long watching a certain Christiano falling over when someone breathes on him........but then where would we be without the big clubs?

Back in the good old days of salary caps and manageable egos. But then that is another debate. :)

zoglet Sep 28th 2009 10:39 am

Originally Posted by Vitalstatistix (Post 7970323)
Boys, boys, it's only a game!

So says the City fan!:)

Ducks & runs for cover :rofl:

^^^ wasn't that City's strategy in the derby? :D

lardyl Sep 28th 2009 8:33 pm

Originally Posted by zoglet (Post 7971113)
^^^ wasn't that City's strategy in the derby? :D

here ya go Mr Short Memory.......

nice goals by Greenhoff and Cantello

with some great "under rated" players, such as Cyrille - never mind the late great Laurie Cunningham - RIP

before some Judas-Manager stole the jewels.....might explain a little of my "love" of the manure.............;)

zoglet Sep 28th 2009 11:36 pm

Originally Posted by lardyl (Post 7972755)

http://youtube.com/watch?v=XTAMsgAdsII

with some great "under rated" players, such as Cyrille - never mind the late great Laurie Cunningham - RIP

before some Judas-Manager stole the jewels.....might explain a little of my "love" of the manure.............;)

You just could'nt let it rest could you? :frown:

I would return the compliment- but as you are to ashamed to even name your team - I shan't bother! By the way, who is top of the Premiership? ;)

lardyl Sep 28th 2009 11:56 pm

Originally Posted by zoglet (Post 7973088)

I would return the compliment- but as you are to ashamed to even name your team - I shan't bother! By the way, who is top of the Premiership? ;)

let what rest ? - I make a comment about "armchair" and "glory hunter" supporters and you seem to be so insecure in your "team" that you feel it is directed at you.....then get all dispraging about other people's clubs....then you can't take a bit of banter over "manure".......

My team is Walsall, I've supported them from age 14 (1981), which was when I could choose which games to go to. They were fourth division then and apart from some good times with Sir Ray in Div 2 its been lots of ups and downs since.

I was dragged along to the Hawthorns for first and second team games pretty much every week before that (standing on a milk crate til I was about 10) although I had supported Liverpool from the 74 FA cup final (aged 7) up until that time.

Still have a soft spot for the pool and have enjoyed every visit to the Kop, along with my brother who is a regular there.

The great baggies side of the 70s and early 80s was broken up by big Ron who took Remi and Bryan off to Old Trafford - at the time I was rather peeved....hence the comment about Judas......

Childish remarks about how great the manure are and how crap anyone else's team might be are just that. They invite people to have a go and if you can't see that then that is pretty sad really......:thumbdown:

lardyl Sep 28th 2009 11:59 pm

Originally Posted by zoglet (Post 7973088)

what precisely is the "compliment" in this post.....

before some Judas-Manager stole the jewels.....might explain a little of my "love" of the manure.............
Is it "Mr Short Memory" ? That's not much of a jibe and the rest is just commentry on a great cup tie between to excellent footballing teams - look I even say that the goal from your full-back was a nice one..... sheesh......

zoglet Sep 29th 2009 12:16 am

Originally Posted by lardyl (Post 7973126)
what precisely is the "compliment" in this post..... Is it "Mr Short Memory" ? That's not much of a jibe and the rest is just commentry on a great cup tie between to excellent footballing teams - look I even say that the goal from your full-back was a nice one..... sheesh......

Blooming heck Lardy- you don't think you might just be taking it a bit too seriously do you? :)

Its over, just like the Baggies glory days- let it go! :rofl:

lardyl Sep 29th 2009 12:18 am

Originally Posted by zoglet (Post 7973149)
Blooming heck Lardy- you don't think you might just be taking it a bit too seriously do you? :)

Its over, just like the Baggies glory days- let it go! :rofl:

yep - they sure are and yes I do take some things far too seriously.......:rofl:

lardyl Sep 29th 2009 12:19 am

Come on the All Whites - get to the World Cup so we can have some decent coverage of England reliving the glory days of Ron Greenwood..........:thumbup: