Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Can you fast-track your NZ citizenship?

Can you fast-track your NZ citizenship?

Old Jan 13th 2011, 1:55 am
Milana

Milana_Rosemont has a brilliant futureMilana_Rosemont has a brilliant futureMilana_Rosemont has a brilliant futureMilana_Rosemont has a brilliant futureMilana_Rosemont has a brilliant futureMilana_Rosemont has a brilliant futureMilana_Rosemont has a brilliant future
Default Re: Can you fast-track your NZ citizenship?

I agree that's a good idea. A concern that I have in keeping NZ citizenship is that because it's by descent I won't pass it on to my children, but I guess it doesn't really matter. I think it would be good to naturalise in Canada - I love Canada, can possible see myself there in the future and it would also mean I'm covered as far as able to live with relative ease in most of North America, Australasia or Europe.
Old Jan 13th 2011, 2:03 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Milana_Rosemont
I agree that's a good idea. A concern that I have in keeping NZ citizenship is that because it's by descent I won't pass it on to my children, but I guess it doesn't really matter.
The reason for that rule is to avoid an endless series of NZ citizens who have more and more distant connections to New Zealand. Britain and Canada have a similar principle in the law.

http://britishexpats.com/wiki/New_Ze...hip_by_Descent

If you have children born in NZ, they will be New Zealanders. If your children are born elsewhere, then you could still bring them to live in NZ and get NZ citizenship that way.

I think it would be good to naturalise in Canada - I love Canada, can possible see myself there in the future and it would also mean I'm covered as far as able to live with relative ease in most of North America, Australasia or Europe.
If you want to be a Canadian, you need to qualify to migrate, move there, and then become a naturalised Canadian (currently 3 years) - start at http://www.cic.gc.ca
Old Jan 14th 2011, 5:50 am
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

Originally Posted by BEVS
Going back to this.
FYI
If one is currently an NZ apprentice it takes around 4 years to gain the NZ National Certificate and then you sit the PGDB plumbing registration exam.
To be self-employed you would then need to sit the Craftsman exams. That will take at least another 2 years. Many registered plumbers have huge difficulty passing the craftsman exams and it can take several years to gain this if at all. One of the exams is an accounting and business exam.

Is this about sponsoring your family to join you in NZ ?
Or is this about eventually gaining the NZ passport so you can go live and work in Australia , knowing you can return to NZ. Plenty of young Kiwi tradies do this.
Right then. I want to go back to this. ChrisBower has done a brave thing in coming here without his family. They would have come too but they couldn't , for various reasons, activate their PR. He chose to come anyway, which was a tough decision for this younf man, but it activated his PR . He also took up a learning course along with that. At 20+ yrs or so, I say that is first rate.

So. What can we do to help.

ChrisBower. Do you know that to be a drainlayer is a two year apprenticeship only?

Some links for you ( I do understand that funding aint all that good now)

ITO

ATT

Modern apprenticeships NZ
Old Jan 21st 2011, 9:50 pm
Forum Regular

Chrisbower will become famous soon enough

Hi Bevs, thanks for the all the help, but i have since decided after chatting with my parents that I was choosing Plumbing for the wrong reasons. I was doing it more for the money and not the passion/interest in the job which to me seems silly.

Iv also found out that my mum and sister are hoping to move out in April/May time so I am going to do the sensible thing and find a job somewhere whilst i have a think about what i really want to do and when i can also get funding off Studylink.