Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Can this tax be true???

Can this tax be true???

Old Nov 20th 2008, 7:42 am
Forum Regular

digbydog is a name known to alldigbydog is a name known to alldigbydog is a name known to alldigbydog is a name known to alldigbydog is a name known to alldigbydog is a name known to alldigbydog is a name known to alldigbydog is a name known to alldigbydog is a name known to alldigbydog is a name known to alldigbydog is a name known to all
Default Can this tax be true???

I have heard from a reasonably reliable source that there is a new 15% tax that has to be paid on your worldwide networth if you give up your residency in the USA and move away. This only applies if you do not have a USA passport. It also seems that this amount is set to increase dramatically in the coming Democratic term. Does anyone know of this tax?
Old Nov 20th 2008, 11:40 am
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Can this tax be true???

Originally Posted by digbydog
I have heard from a reasonably reliable source that there is a new 15% tax that has to be paid on your worldwide networth if you give up your residency in the USA and move away.
Your "reasonably reliable source" is an idiot. Think about this for a moment... how exactly will the IRS enforce this if you are no longer resident in the US? Further, if you are no longer resident in the US, why should you even care?

Ian
Old Nov 20th 2008, 12:32 pm
Forum Regular

ITsWhatIDo is a name known to allITsWhatIDo is a name known to allITsWhatIDo is a name known to allITsWhatIDo is a name known to allITsWhatIDo is a name known to allITsWhatIDo is a name known to allITsWhatIDo is a name known to allITsWhatIDo is a name known to allITsWhatIDo is a name known to allITsWhatIDo is a name known to allITsWhatIDo is a name known to all

I think you have to declare your world-wide earnings to the IRS. It might be linked to that.

There was a recent rush for USC to give up their citizenship as the cost was going up.
Old Nov 20th 2008, 12:46 pm
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ITsWhatIDo
I think you have to declare your world-wide earnings to the IRS. It might be linked to that.

There was a recent rush for USC to give up their citizenship as the cost was going up.
I heard it was 25% I think I read it in The National Enquirer ....
Old Nov 20th 2008, 12:47 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ITsWhatIDo

Really? And where did you read this? Any sources available for us to check this out?
Old Nov 20th 2008, 1:35 pm
Powder Maggot

AdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond repute

I have heard from a reasonably reliable source that there is a new 15% tax that has to be paid on your worldwide networth if you give up your residency in the USA and move away. This only applies if you do not have a USA passport. It also seems that this amount is set to increase dramatically in the coming Democratic term. Does anyone know of this tax?
You refer to the HEART Act of 2008. Yes, there is a provision for an exit tax when giving up residency or citizenship. I don't know how much the tax is.

"The Act applies to any expatriate if that individual (i) has a net worth of US$2 million or more; (ii) has an average net U.S. income tax liability of greater than US$139,000 for the five year period prior to expatriation; or (iii) fails to certify that he has complied with all U.S. federal tax obligations for the preceding five years "

You also have a "get out of jail free" card if you've been a resident for 10 years or less.

IIRC, this replaces the expatriation tax discussed in the Tax Guide for Aliens.

Last edited by AdobePinon; Nov 20th 2008 at 1:38 pm.
Old Nov 20th 2008, 2:18 pm
Queen of my house

tamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ray
I heard it was 25% I think I read it in The National Enquirer ....
I read that, too.....because my enquiring mind wanted to know.
Old Nov 21st 2008, 6:07 am
Forum Regular

digbydog is a name known to alldigbydog is a name known to alldigbydog is a name known to alldigbydog is a name known to alldigbydog is a name known to alldigbydog is a name known to alldigbydog is a name known to alldigbydog is a name known to alldigbydog is a name known to alldigbydog is a name known to alldigbydog is a name known to all

This Heart Of Act 2008 tax could really be a problem if you have a green card, any reasonable amount of assets worldwide and don't decide to go for the US passport. Appears not many people understand or even know about it.

See following link:

http://www.portfolio.com/news-market...-Workers#page1

Any thoughts please?
Old Nov 21st 2008, 12:32 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

This Heart Of Act 2008 tax could really be a problem if you have a green card, any reasonable amount of assets worldwide and don't decide to go for the US passport.
US laws are *not* binding on any other country. It's unenforceable, and if you have more than $2Million in assets you can damn well afford an attorney. It only affects the wealthy and is, IMHO, an excellent reason to become a US citizen - since it *only* affects those with a GC.

Any thoughts please?
Yes... the comment "green cards are for poor people" certainly endeared me to "their" side of the story.

Ian
Old Nov 21st 2008, 12:39 pm
BE Forum Addict

Marocco has a reputation beyond reputeMarocco has a reputation beyond reputeMarocco has a reputation beyond reputeMarocco has a reputation beyond reputeMarocco has a reputation beyond reputeMarocco has a reputation beyond reputeMarocco has a reputation beyond reputeMarocco has a reputation beyond reputeMarocco has a reputation beyond reputeMarocco has a reputation beyond reputeMarocco has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ian-mstm
Your "reasonably reliable source" is an idiot. Think about this for a moment... how exactly will the IRS enforce this if you are no longer resident in the US? Further, if you are no longer resident in the US, why should you even care?
Perhaps they stll want to be able to visit the US, even though they no longer live there?
Old Nov 21st 2008, 12:58 pm
Account Closed

For anyone who's interested in reading more... http://tinyurl.com/5v2rbv. The section starts the page before the page given in the link.

Ian
Old Nov 22nd 2008, 2:20 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ian-mstm
US laws are *not* binding on any other country. It's unenforceable, and if you have more than $2Million in assets you can damn well afford an attorney. It only affects the wealthy and is, IMHO, an excellent reason to become a US citizen - since it *only* affects those with a GC.

Yes... the comment "green cards are for poor people" certainly endeared me to "their" side of the story.

Ian
I would have thought that the majority of those who obtain a GC, especially through employment, plan to become American citizens once eligible.