Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Can someone please comfirm that........

Can someone please comfirm that........

Old Jun 5th 2007, 8:28 am
you dewty owld maan!

lardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Can someone please comfirm that........

Originally Posted by phil01
Right...as hubby is on the immediate skills shortage list you can both get work permits...but only temporary ones... 3 years max.

You cannot go via the skilled migrant route as it is only short term skills list not long term and trucking is not classed as skilled for immigration purposes, however, when you are here you can do work to residence.
we needed med certs for our temporary work visas plus the form from the registered employer to say they had been unable to recruit for the post - is that going to be possible in this case??
Old Jun 5th 2007, 8:31 am
you dewty owld maan!

lardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kato33
As far as we are aware, no-one has any medical problems.

Although..........this is where I am going to be totally honest with this forum and DO NOT expect to get ridiculled for it.........I do suffer with depression and have been prescribed Prozac twice a day which I have been told I will take for life YIKES.

Will this affect me??
well I told the certifing GP about a historical problem with anxiety and all of my other aches, pains and hiccups and we got the certificate. Not sure about stuff that is recent and where you are still "under the doctor" - I'd wait for others to comment.
The problems I have read about here were to do with liver/kidneys and came out of the blood tests. You could search for the threads within the NZ forum.
Old Jun 5th 2007, 8:34 am
BE Forum Addict

kato33 has a reputation beyond reputekato33 has a reputation beyond reputekato33 has a reputation beyond reputekato33 has a reputation beyond reputekato33 has a reputation beyond reputekato33 has a reputation beyond reputekato33 has a reputation beyond reputekato33 has a reputation beyond reputekato33 has a reputation beyond reputekato33 has a reputation beyond reputekato33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lardyl
well I told the certifing GP about a historical problem with anxiety and all of my other aches, pains and hiccups and we got the certificate. Not sure about stuff that is recent and where you are still "under the doctor" - I'd wait for others to comment.
The problems I have read about here were to do with liver/kidneys and came out of the blood tests. You could search for the threads within the NZ forum.
Cheers for that. I fully expected a barrage of abuse for being a nut case.

LOL
Old Jun 5th 2007, 8:38 am
you dewty owld maan!

Cheers for that. I fully expected a barrage of abuse for being a nut case.

LOL
you'd b amazed how many people had had the odd problem in life ...... mine was post traunmatic related and was controlled with drugs and some therapy. Doesn't stop me being mad though
Old Jun 5th 2007, 8:49 am
BE Forum Addict

kato33 has a reputation beyond reputekato33 has a reputation beyond reputekato33 has a reputation beyond reputekato33 has a reputation beyond reputekato33 has a reputation beyond reputekato33 has a reputation beyond reputekato33 has a reputation beyond reputekato33 has a reputation beyond reputekato33 has a reputation beyond reputekato33 has a reputation beyond reputekato33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lardyl
you'd b amazed how many people had had the odd problem in life ...... mine was post traunmatic related and was controlled with drugs and some therapy. Doesn't stop me being mad though
The 6 month thing comes into play then??? If so I will make sure we get them done when we have a buyer for the house.
Old Jun 5th 2007, 11:02 am
BE Forum Addict

simonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond repute

.............what we are about to do is legal and correct??

A quick run down of our ideas:-

The house is now up for sale. We are hoping to arrive in the BOP around October if not then February as we have been told the cost of renting in the NZ school/xmas holidays can be very very expensive.

We are just going to pack up the family and come over on a tourist visa, look for work, go to the ??????? (someone please enlighten me to where we go) to get work permits as OH job is on the Immediate skills shortage list.

So if all the above go ok, I need to know if:

a) This is perfectly legal and feasible to do. No job offer has come through yet, the usual reply of get over here has been received many times.

b) How do I get the children into school. This is a must or I will go crazy with them around me for too long

c) I will also want to work, can I?

d) How long roughly will permits take to get???

e) Do you know of anyone who done the same and then had to come home because they were unable to get the permit/visa??

Also, shall we do meds here before we leave along with the police checks to assist the visa process.

I need all your help and experience on this as we are getting very nervy.

kato33
We're doing exactly this ourselves. Our house is on the market, have a somebody coming for a 2nd viewing this afternoon. Fingers crossed. Our research shows:

[a] perfectly legal, even the NZIS website makes reference to it, even going so far as to telling you, you can extend by upto a further 6 months if you have the funds to support yourself.

[b] Yep, you'll have to pay international student fees, however we're going in August (School holidays) here and hope to have a job offer by september(ish), so he won't be out of school for long.

[c] Yep, once your OH has a permit to work.

[d] Depends on where you are and what line of work and your employer.

[e] Nope

The only other thing we have found is that you have to have onward travel arrangements from NZ. That doesn't mean you have to have a return ticket to the UK, but you can get a ticket to Oz. So our plan is one way ticket to NZ and onward to OZ - cheaper than a return to the UK.
Old Jun 5th 2007, 12:58 pm

happynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nice

Wouldn't it be a lot less stressful and cheaper if one person went out, got a work permit, found a place and got things set up and then send for the rest of the family? It would be less disruption for the kids, less stress on the marriage and less drain on the finances.

That's my two cents worth anyway.

Best of luck.
Old Jun 5th 2007, 1:13 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by happynz
Wouldn't it be a lot less stressful and cheaper if one person went out, got a work permit, found a place and got things set up and then send for the rest of the family? It would be less disruption for the kids, less stress on the marriage and less drain on the finances.

That's my two cents worth anyway.

Best of luck.
In an ideal world then I would agree, but I am the outrageous forward one and the OH is the laid back one so he wont go and I cant go and get the work as my skills are not on the list.

Some people just prefer to do it all together. I can imagine that it would probably bring a close family even closer as we go through the pit falls and excitement together.
Well thats what I am hoping.
Old Jun 5th 2007, 1:28 pm
BE Enthusiast

jill1420 has much to be proud ofjill1420 has much to be proud ofjill1420 has much to be proud ofjill1420 has much to be proud ofjill1420 has much to be proud ofjill1420 has much to be proud ofjill1420 has much to be proud ofjill1420 has much to be proud ofjill1420 has much to be proud ofjill1420 has much to be proud ofjill1420 has much to be proud of

Hi Kato.........what age are your kids? Are they excited about the move?(mine are).............What are you hoping to work as. Im in similar position but waiting on job offer for hubby. You sound determined so Im sure it will be fine. I agree with you I would prefer to go through it together as family. I hoping to be out for start of school year 2008. Good Luck!
Old Jun 5th 2007, 1:34 pm
BE Enthusiast

jill1420 has much to be proud ofjill1420 has much to be proud ofjill1420 has much to be proud ofjill1420 has much to be proud ofjill1420 has much to be proud ofjill1420 has much to be proud ofjill1420 has much to be proud ofjill1420 has much to be proud ofjill1420 has much to be proud ofjill1420 has much to be proud ofjill1420 has much to be proud of

Kato..................I was replying to your thread as you sent me PM. Spooky! I will keep in touch.............At work but great fun reading all the posts and getting paid for it. Speak soon
Old Jun 5th 2007, 2:05 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by jill1420
Kato..................I was replying to your thread as you sent me PM. Spooky! I will keep in touch.............At work but great fun reading all the posts and getting paid for it. Speak soon
At least I know I am not the only one not doing any work
Old Jun 5th 2007, 10:09 pm
Forum Regular

Leighlou has a brilliant futureLeighlou has a brilliant futureLeighlou has a brilliant futureLeighlou has a brilliant futureLeighlou has a brilliant futureLeighlou has a brilliant futureLeighlou has a brilliant future

Hi Kato33,
Don't worry about thinking you are mad trying this route as you are in good company! We are in the same position as you guys, not enough points to get through on the PR route and can't seem to get job offers without being there on the ground (huff!). One thing that I keep going back to with us though is that OH goes ahead of the rest of the family, and once he gets that all important job offer, and we have a better idea of how long until he can start work, the rest of us can make the move over (or even perhaps we wait until the visas are through and will not then be required to buy return tickets for the rest of the family). This way lends a little more security, and hopefully a bit cheaper and a little less disruptive for the children, but the hugely obvious draw back is that we have to be prepared to be seperated for a number of months. Oh what to do hey!
Just thought that I would share this thought with you incase it would be a possible solution, or indeed to air for thoughts from anyone else as to why it was not a feasible.
Cheers and best of luck with your move, Leighlou.

Last edited by Leighlou; Jun 5th 2007 at 10:11 pm. Reason: Spelling - should learn to use that checker hey!
Old Jun 5th 2007, 10:14 pm
Forum Regular

Leighlou has a brilliant futureLeighlou has a brilliant futureLeighlou has a brilliant futureLeighlou has a brilliant futureLeighlou has a brilliant futureLeighlou has a brilliant futureLeighlou has a brilliant future

sorry Kato33 - I had not read through the whole thread when posted the above, and now realised someone else too has suggested this - just ignore me!
Old Jun 6th 2007, 12:34 am

happynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nice

Originally Posted by Leighlou
sorry Kato33 - I had not read through the whole thread when posted the above, and now realised someone else too has suggested this - just ignore me!
At least someone else shares the same notion.
And anyway, a few months is not really that long. I'm just finishing up three months here in California (tough, I know *heh heh*) before I go home to Christchurch this Thursday evening. When I first came over to New Zealand over five years ago it was about three and a half months until I got things sorted and my wife and daughter followed on. It's not like anyone's breaking up the family. Just look at it like an extended business trip.
Old Jun 6th 2007, 12:38 am
BE Forum Addict

kwprwn is a glorious beacon of lightkwprwn is a glorious beacon of lightkwprwn is a glorious beacon of lightkwprwn is a glorious beacon of lightkwprwn is a glorious beacon of lightkwprwn is a glorious beacon of lightkwprwn is a glorious beacon of lightkwprwn is a glorious beacon of lightkwprwn is a glorious beacon of lightkwprwn is a glorious beacon of lightkwprwn is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by simonmarkellis
We're doing exactly this ourselves. Our house is on the market, have a somebody coming for a 2nd viewing this afternoon. Fingers crossed. Our research shows:

[a] perfectly legal, even the NZIS website makes reference to it, even going so far as to telling you, you can extend by upto a further 6 months if you have the funds to support yourself.

[b] Yep, you'll have to pay international student fees, however we're going in August (School holidays) here and hope to have a job offer by september(ish), so he won't be out of school for long.

[c] Yep, once your OH has a permit to work.

[d] Depends on where you are and what line of work and your employer.

[e] Nope

The only other thing we have found is that you have to have onward travel arrangements from NZ. That doesn't mean you have to have a return ticket to the UK, but you can get a ticket to Oz. So our plan is one way ticket to NZ and onward to OZ - cheaper than a return to the UK.
just in response to that last bit about onward tickets

I used to work in a travel agent and although the option about onward tickets is true, the onward tickets have to be to a country that you have a right to live in (or something like that)...just thought I would add that

dawn

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.