Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Can someone please comfirm that........

Can someone please comfirm that........

Old Jun 5th 2007, 7:07 am
BE Forum Addict

kato33 has a reputation beyond reputekato33 has a reputation beyond reputekato33 has a reputation beyond reputekato33 has a reputation beyond reputekato33 has a reputation beyond reputekato33 has a reputation beyond reputekato33 has a reputation beyond reputekato33 has a reputation beyond reputekato33 has a reputation beyond reputekato33 has a reputation beyond reputekato33 has a reputation beyond repute
Question Can someone please comfirm that........

.............what we are about to do is legal and correct??

A quick run down of our ideas:-

The house is now up for sale. We are hoping to arrive in the BOP around October if not then February as we have been told the cost of renting in the NZ school/xmas holidays can be very very expensive.

We are just going to pack up the family and come over on a tourist visa, look for work, go to the ??????? (someone please enlighten me to where we go) to get work permits as OH job is on the Immediate skills shortage list.

So if all the above go ok, I need to know if:

a) This is perfectly legal and feasible to do. No job offer has come through yet, the usual reply of get over here has been received many times.

b) How do I get the children into school. This is a must or I will go crazy with them around me for too long

c) I will also want to work, can I?

d) How long roughly will permits take to get???

e) Do you know of anyone who done the same and then had to come home because they were unable to get the permit/visa??

Also, shall we do meds here before we leave along with the police checks to assist the visa process.

I need all your help and experience on this as we are getting very nervy.

kato33

Last edited by kato33; Jun 5th 2007 at 7:08 am. Reason: spelling
Old Jun 5th 2007, 7:20 am
NZ ways is best ways :0)

Wiz'n'Ton has a reputation beyond reputeWiz'n'Ton has a reputation beyond reputeWiz'n'Ton has a reputation beyond reputeWiz'n'Ton has a reputation beyond reputeWiz'n'Ton has a reputation beyond reputeWiz'n'Ton has a reputation beyond reputeWiz'n'Ton has a reputation beyond reputeWiz'n'Ton has a reputation beyond reputeWiz'n'Ton has a reputation beyond reputeWiz'n'Ton has a reputation beyond reputeWiz'n'Ton has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Can someone please comfirm that........

Will do my best! First off, I am NOT an immigration expert, but that's never stopped me before...

Secondly - completely above board and legal in all ways.

a) I regularly meet people who have done exactly this, and have progressed their status here as a result.

b) I think that you can just approach your local school to enroll them. Can anyone else enlighten Kato33 on this?

c) Once your OH is given either 1) residency, or 2) is sponsored by their employer on work to reside visa, you - as their legal OH, will also be able to apply for a work visa. Again, don't know the details of this, but it can be done.

d) Permits can take hours, days, weeks or even months depending on which route you go down

e) Nope - only seen success stories, but then I *am* in NZ, so won't see the other side of the coin.

We are pretty much doing the same as you, except on 12 month work visas, and it seems to be coming together so far (fingers crossed). We say 'go for it!'
Old Jun 5th 2007, 7:25 am
BE Enthusiast

jueinnz is a glorious beacon of lightjueinnz is a glorious beacon of lightjueinnz is a glorious beacon of lightjueinnz is a glorious beacon of lightjueinnz is a glorious beacon of lightjueinnz is a glorious beacon of lightjueinnz is a glorious beacon of lightjueinnz is a glorious beacon of lightjueinnz is a glorious beacon of lightjueinnz is a glorious beacon of lightjueinnz is a glorious beacon of light

Not sure about legal but a little bit brave springs to mind?

Have you looked into whether you have enough points to be able to stay? Even with the job offer.

Last edited by jueinnz; Jun 5th 2007 at 7:30 am. Reason: didn't read the post properly!!!!
Old Jun 5th 2007, 7:57 am
BE Forum Addict

Gill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kato33
.............what we are about to do is legal and correct??

A quick run down of our ideas:-

The house is now up for sale. We are hoping to arrive in the BOP around October if not then February as we have been told the cost of renting in the NZ school/xmas holidays can be very very expensive.

We are just going to pack up the family and come over on a tourist visa, look for work, go to the ??????? (someone please enlighten me to where we go) to get work permits as OH job is on the Immediate skills shortage list.

So if all the above go ok, I need to know if:

a) This is perfectly legal and feasible to do. No job offer has come through yet, the usual reply of get over here has been received many times.

b) How do I get the children into school. This is a must or I will go crazy with them around me for too long

c) I will also want to work, can I?

d) How long roughly will permits take to get???

e) Do you know of anyone who done the same and then had to come home because they were unable to get the permit/visa??

Also, shall we do meds here before we leave along with the police checks to assist the visa process.

I need all your help and experience on this as we are getting very nervy.

kato33
A) Not sure if it's legal, but plenty of people do it. May need to have return flight tickets on you.
B)You will have to pay as an international student for each of them to go to school, UNTIL hubby has a work visa.
C) Yes, once hubby gets a work visa, you will get one too and the children will get student visas.
D)How long is a piece of string, depends of the type of visa you apply for.
E) Not sure on that one.
Do police checks before and medicals here - much cheaper.

Good luck with the whole process.

Gill
Old Jun 5th 2007, 8:07 am
BE Enthusiast

brussels_sprout is a splendid one to beholdbrussels_sprout is a splendid one to beholdbrussels_sprout is a splendid one to beholdbrussels_sprout is a splendid one to beholdbrussels_sprout is a splendid one to beholdbrussels_sprout is a splendid one to beholdbrussels_sprout is a splendid one to beholdbrussels_sprout is a splendid one to beholdbrussels_sprout is a splendid one to beholdbrussels_sprout is a splendid one to beholdbrussels_sprout is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Gill and Rob
A) Not sure if it's legal, but plenty of people do it. May need to have return flight tickets on you.
B)You will have to pay as an international student for each of them to go to school, UNTIL hubby has a work visa.
C) Yes, once hubby gets a work visa, you will get one too and the children will get student visas.
D)How long is a piece of string, depends of the type of visa you apply for.
E) Not sure on that one.
Do police checks before and medicals here - much cheaper.

Good luck with the whole process.

Gill
Yes the international student payment at the school is very expensive.

If your OH gets a job offer, there will be no problem with the work visa, as long as your police and health checks are OK, the visas only take 2-3 weeks MAX. if all the paperwork is present

I would apply for police records, arrange birth certicates, paperwork from your home country now , police takes 6 weeks in England

Your other problem is the air ticket, you will have to purchase a return ticket for everyone , this is checked at the departure airport. It is more difficult with kids due to the expense of the international students, but 1000s of emigrants have done it your way !

There is an immigration office in each large city, maybe you will have to go to Auckland

Last edited by brussels_sprout; Jun 5th 2007 at 8:13 am.
Old Jun 5th 2007, 8:16 am
BE Enthusiast

phil01 is a splendid one to beholdphil01 is a splendid one to beholdphil01 is a splendid one to beholdphil01 is a splendid one to beholdphil01 is a splendid one to beholdphil01 is a splendid one to beholdphil01 is a splendid one to beholdphil01 is a splendid one to beholdphil01 is a splendid one to beholdphil01 is a splendid one to beholdphil01 is a splendid one to behold

Hi Nici,

Yes of course you can do it that way.

Once your hubby has a job offer you can apply for his work visa, your work visa and the kids student visas...the visa time at present as you will be via Auckland according to NZIS is 3 and a half months...but may be less when you come. However, doing it this way you must bring enough dosh to last for a while if it is going to take them even 2 months hubby will not be allowed to work, neither will you and the kids will not be allowed to go to school until you have the visas.

As you know we are already here but Phil changed jobs so we had to send his visa in just to change the company name and they have told us even though he has a 3 year work visa that he cannot start with the new company until his new visa is through...which is when they told me 3 and a half months!

Once the visa's are sorted you just go along to the school enrol the kids and they can start the next day. However, be mindful that you will also need to have your medicals done over here so as long as there is nothing going to come up on that that would stop you getting the visas...what I mean is if you go for your meds in the UK and all is OK it's fine to push ahead sell up blah blah blah but if you wait until you are out here and something crops up that NZIS are not happy about then your visas will take even longer whilst it is investigated so you need to make sure you are prepared for a few months with no income.

So yes it can be done but it can be time consuming and costly whereas if you get the job offer whilst in the UK you can get it all sorted over there know you have no probs and can start work/school as soon as you get here.
Debbie
Old Jun 5th 2007, 8:17 am
BE Forum Addict

kato33 has a reputation beyond reputekato33 has a reputation beyond reputekato33 has a reputation beyond reputekato33 has a reputation beyond reputekato33 has a reputation beyond reputekato33 has a reputation beyond reputekato33 has a reputation beyond reputekato33 has a reputation beyond reputekato33 has a reputation beyond reputekato33 has a reputation beyond reputekato33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Wiz'n'Ton
Will do my best! First off, I am NOT an immigration expert, but that's never stopped me before...

Secondly - completely above board and legal in all ways.

a) I regularly meet people who have done exactly this, and have progressed their status here as a result.

b) I think that you can just approach your local school to enroll them. Can anyone else enlighten Kato33 on this?

c) Once your OH is given either 1) residency, or 2) is sponsored by their employer on work to reside visa, you - as their legal OH, will also be able to apply for a work visa. Again, don't know the details of this, but it can be done.

d) Permits can take hours, days, weeks or even months depending on which route you go down

e) Nope - only seen success stories, but then I *am* in NZ, so won't see the other side of the coin.

We are pretty much doing the same as you, except on 12 month work visas, and it seems to be coming together so far (fingers crossed). We say 'go for it!'
You lot are great. Cheers for the comments.

Regarding the points thingee, we are 35 and OH is a truck driver and we speak very good english its just the job offer needed to gain the extra points. Plus we dont want auckland which gives us the extra needed.

I would of loved to have gone with an agent, one that Phil01 mentioned would be bloody fantastic but with a family of 6, all our money is teid up either in the house or paying of debts so we have as much as possible to come over with when the house sells.

Am I correct in thinking that you have to meds dated within 6 months when applying for visa/permit??

NZ house said we should do it this way so I am presuming that it must be legal.

Re the return tickets........can't we buy open ones and then re-sell the return part if not used??? I am sure I have heard that this is possible.

kato33
Old Jun 5th 2007, 8:17 am
BE Enthusiast

phil01 is a splendid one to beholdphil01 is a splendid one to beholdphil01 is a splendid one to beholdphil01 is a splendid one to beholdphil01 is a splendid one to beholdphil01 is a splendid one to beholdphil01 is a splendid one to beholdphil01 is a splendid one to beholdphil01 is a splendid one to beholdphil01 is a splendid one to beholdphil01 is a splendid one to behold

Work visa's are taking 3 and a half months via Auckland and 2 via Christchurch as per NZIS last week!
Old Jun 5th 2007, 8:19 am
BE Enthusiast

Hi again,
Truck Driving is not classed as skilled so you cannot go via the points system...we have tried and tried and tried!
Old Jun 5th 2007, 8:21 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by phil01
Hi Nici,

Yes of course you can do it that way.

Once your hubby has a job offer you can apply for his work visa, your work visa and the kids student visas...the visa time at present as you will be via Auckland according to NZIS is 3 and a half months...but may be less when you come. However, doing it this way you must bring enough dosh to last for a while if it is going to take them even 2 months hubby will not be allowed to work, neither will you and the kids will not be allowed to go to school until you have the visas.

As you know we are already here but Phil changed jobs so we had to send his visa in just to change the company name and they have told us even though he has a 3 year work visa that he cannot start with the new company until his new visa is through...which is when they told me 3 and a half months!

Once the visa's are sorted you just go along to the school enrol the kids and they can start the next day. However, be mindful that you will also need to have your medicals done over here so as long as there is nothing going to come up on that that would stop you getting the visas...what I mean is if you go for your meds in the UK and all is OK it's fine to push ahead sell up blah blah blah but if you wait until you are out here and something crops up that NZIS are not happy about then your visas will take even longer whilst it is investigated so you need to make sure you are prepared for a few months with no income.

So yes it can be done but it can be time consuming and costly whereas if you get the job offer whilst in the UK you can get it all sorted over there know you have no probs and can start work/school as soon as you get here.
Debbie
As ever Debbie, your always a help.

Can you tell me if the recruitment agency needed the fees in one go?
Old Jun 5th 2007, 8:22 am
BE Enthusiast

As ever Debbie, your always a help.

Can you tell me if the recruitment agency needed the fees in one go?
We paid in one go but some others have paid by installments...I can tell you of a company in Whangarei that is taking on but it's a crap company to work for...get you your visa's though!
Old Jun 5th 2007, 8:23 am
you dewty owld maan!

lardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jueinnz
Not sure about legal but a little bit brave springs to mind? Have you looked into whether you have enough points to be able to stay? Even with the job offer.
this makes sense, with kids then most people would want to be reasonably sure they weren't going to get any nasty suprises as far as the medicals go - others on the NZ forum have had problems detected during the process and it has taken months for some to sort out in the UK - in NZ that process would very expensive as you will have to pay for routine (non-emergency)medical work if you do not have PR and I'd doubt that travel insurance will cover exploratory liver surgery or whatever is required were the blood test results to come up bad.
IMHO that is the biggest gamble - you could get a short term work visa without a medical certificate but that would only be valid for twelve or eighteen months as far as I recall.
Others have come back with no job and no visa/permit.
Personally with 2 kids of 18 months and 5 yrs as we arrived I wouldn't risk it unless I was desperate to leave the UK (not a good reason to come BTW!) and pretty sure of our health. Best to get your ducks in a row as its all pretty stressful to move a family en masse to another continent!!
But good luck in whatever you decide!
As far as the tickets go I dont think Air NZ do any open returns on economy - business maybe but they are an arm and a leg!! - you cant transfer elements of the tickets to other names either, we asked them about that and they said no, in January anyway!
Old Jun 5th 2007, 8:24 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by phil01
Hi again,
Truck Driving is not classed as skilled so you cannot go via the points system...we have tried and tried and tried!

I thought that because he was on the Immediate skill list then we would be able to get the visa's.

Does this mean we cannot/can stay? I know that it is not enough to get us residency which is why I am going to have to find work in the qualifying sectors.

Now I am nervous, have I misread things??
Old Jun 5th 2007, 8:26 am
BE Enthusiast

I thought that because he was on the Immediate skill list then we would be able to get the visa's.

Does this mean we cannot/can stay? I know that it is not enough to get us residency which is why I am going to have to find work in the qualifying sectors.

Now I am nervous, have I misread things??
Right...as hubby is on the immediate skills shortage list you can both get work permits...but only temporary ones... 3 years max.

You cannot go via the skilled migrant route as it is only short term skills list not long term and trucking is not classed as skilled for immigration purposes, however, when you are here you can do work to residence.
Old Jun 5th 2007, 8:28 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by lardyl
this makes sense, with kids then most people would want to be reasonably sure they weren't going to get any nasty suprises as far as the medicals go - others on the NZ forum have had problems detected during the process and it has taken months for some to sort out in the UK - in NZ that process would very expensive as you will have to pay for routine (non-emergency)medical work if you do not have PR and I'd doubt that travel insurance will cover exploratory liver surgery or whatever is required were the blood test results to come up bad.
IMHO that is the biggest gamble - you could get a short term work visa without a medical certificate but that would only be valid for twelve or eighteen months as far as I recall.
Others have come back with no job and no visa/permit.
Personally with 2 kids of 18 months and 5 yrs as we arrived I wouldn't risk it unless I was desperate to leave the UK (not a good reason to come BTW!) and pretty sure of our health. Best to get your ducks in a row as its all pretty stressful to move a family en masse to another continent!!
But good luck in whatever you decide!
As far as the tickets go I dont think Air NZ do any open returns on economy - business maybe but they are an arm and a leg!! - you cant transfer elements of the tickets to other names either, we asked them about that and they said no, in January anyway!
As far as we are aware, no-one has any medical problems.

Although..........this is where I am going to be totally honest with this forum and DO NOT expect to get ridiculled for it.........I do suffer with depression and have been prescribed Prozac twice a day which I have been told I will take for life YIKES.

Will this affect me??

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.