Can I vote

Old Nov 14th 2008, 11:02 pm
Just Joined

anglwngs is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Can I vote

Can a Legal Immigrant, vote and hold a job in a county office as a clerk. I have my 10yr green card. please let me know
Old Nov 14th 2008, 11:06 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Can I vote

Originally Posted by anglwngs
Can a Legal Immigrant, vote and hold a job in a county office as a clerk. I have my 10yr green card.
Whether you are allowed to hold a county job is up to the county. If they don't require you to be a US citizen, then yes. As for voting... you should *not* register to vote, and you should *not* vote until you become a US citizen. If you do register to vote - whether you actually vote or not, it could go very badly for you when you apply for citizenship.

Ian
Old Nov 14th 2008, 11:14 pm
Account Closed

Folinskyinla is an unknown quantity at this point

Can a Legal Immigrant, vote and hold a job in a county office as a clerk. I have my 10yr green card. please let me know
Hi:

This begs a further question: do you intend to KEEP your green card?

General rule:

Do not claim to be a US citizen for any purpose
Do not register to vote in elections
Do not vote in elections.

If you have already registered to vote -- take affirmative action to cancel the registration.

So far, I have personally litigated one unlawful voting case -- and its the only one that has been published so far. The funny thing is that it really is not an immigration case -- the court was quite conservative and went to the narrowest possible resolution based upon the facts.
http://www.ca9.uscourts.gov/ca9/newo...df?openelement
Old Nov 14th 2008, 11:38 pm
Just Joined

If I am legal to be in this country and so forth, why can I not vote and why would it cause me trouble, I dont understand, I plan on becomming a citizen, but it seems that I am being discriminated on, even though I went through all the legal channels and Paid alot of money to be in this country,,, I dont get it
Old Nov 14th 2008, 11:43 pm
Just Joined

If I am legal to be in this country and so forth, why can I not vote and why would it cause me trouble, I dont understand, I plan on becomming a citizen, but it seems that I am being discriminated on, even though I went through all the legal channels and Paid alot of money to be in this country,,, I dont get it
plus I have a job, pay taxes like everyone else,, I just do not understand that I could get into alot of trouble if I vote, Please explain
Old Nov 14th 2008, 11:45 pm
L2, GC, Surrey, OH, TX!

MsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond repute

because it breaks the law of the United states.
Old Nov 14th 2008, 11:46 pm
Just Joined

plus I have a job, pay taxes like everyone else,, I just do not understand that I could get into alot of trouble if I vote, Please explain
because that is the law of united states, huh,,,,,
Old Nov 14th 2008, 11:51 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

If I am legal to be in this country and so forth, why can I not vote and why would it cause me trouble.
*ONLY* a US citizen has the right to vote. End of story. Being "legal" in the country doesn't matter. It's the law. If you don't like the law, then you can vote to change it once you become a US citizen.

I plan on becomming a citizen...
Good... and when you do, you gain the right to vote.

... it seems that I am being discriminated on...
You are not being discriminated against.

Paid alot of money to be in this country...
You whine a lot! That's the way it is... get over it.

I just do not understand that I could get into alot of trouble if I vote...
Voting is reserved for US citizens. By voting, you are claiming to *be* a US citizen... and that is against the law. End of story.

Ian
Old Nov 14th 2008, 11:53 pm
Junior Showtime

Kate2112 has a reputation beyond reputeKate2112 has a reputation beyond reputeKate2112 has a reputation beyond reputeKate2112 has a reputation beyond reputeKate2112 has a reputation beyond reputeKate2112 has a reputation beyond reputeKate2112 has a reputation beyond reputeKate2112 has a reputation beyond reputeKate2112 has a reputation beyond reputeKate2112 has a reputation beyond reputeKate2112 has a reputation beyond repute

Short answer - no

Longer answer - When you become a United States Citizen you can.

Next question?
Old Nov 15th 2008, 1:27 am
Arrogant ****

dbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond repute

Have you registered to vote, or voted here in the US then?
Old Nov 15th 2008, 3:10 am
Luvin Californ'i'a

Reddwarfusa is an unknown quantity at this point

It doesn't matter. You choose to live here and abide by the laws. They state you cannot vote UNLESS you are a citizen. Stop bitching and accept it. Remember you can still vote in UK elections if you feel the need, would you let an american vote in UK election? Especially when they do such a *cough* good job here
Old Nov 15th 2008, 5:09 am
I'm off to find a spanner

sime303 has a reputation beyond reputesime303 has a reputation beyond reputesime303 has a reputation beyond reputesime303 has a reputation beyond reputesime303 has a reputation beyond reputesime303 has a reputation beyond reputesime303 has a reputation beyond reputesime303 has a reputation beyond reputesime303 has a reputation beyond reputesime303 has a reputation beyond reputesime303 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Reddwarfusa
It doesn't matter. You choose to live here and abide by the laws. They state you cannot vote UNLESS you are a citizen. Stop bitching and accept it. Remember you can still vote in UK elections if you feel the need, would you let an american vote in UK election? Especially when they do such a *cough* good job here
Stop sitting on the fence like the rest of the posters in this thread and tell it straight

lol
Old Nov 15th 2008, 5:54 am
Account Closed

Folinskyinla is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi:

You ARE being discriminated against.
Old Nov 15th 2008, 6:26 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Ozzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Folinskyinla
Hi:

You ARE being discriminated against.
Agree. Discrimination is the correct word and is right and proper.