Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Great site for British/American "English" differences

Great site for British/American "English" differences

Old Nov 12th 2008, 10:52 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Steerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond repute
Default Great site for British/American "English" differences

I'm sure others have seen this already, but this seems to offer a good analysis of the differences between "American and British English spelling differences".

A 'good read' if you are so inclined!

Personally, I much prefer 'program' to 'programme', analog to analogue, center to centre, and so on.
Old Nov 13th 2008, 12:43 pm
BE Forum Addict

BritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Great site for British/American "English" differences

Don't be going septic on us now!
Old Nov 13th 2008, 12:49 pm

Lorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond repute

well my spell check that stops on all words with an S in them, a U and double letters in words like 'travelling' etc. drives me crazy. I think I'll turn it off.
Old Nov 13th 2008, 12:52 pm
Account Closed

TruBrit is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Steerpike
Personally, I much prefer 'program' to 'programme', analog to analogue, center to centre, and so on.
i don't and it's probably because i've not been brought up to spell that way consequently it looks wrong to me.
Old Nov 13th 2008, 12:56 pm
A lion in your lap

elfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond repute

One thing that does get on my tits in relation to US/British spelling differences is the way that the US media almost universally describes Gordon Brown as the leader of the “Labor” party. Yes I know that in general use the word labor/labour is spelled differently in the two countries, but surely this shouldn’t apply when the word is the actual name of the institution and not a general noun, adjective, or whatever, and begins with a capital letter.

A reverse equivalent would be if the British media went on about the Japanese attack on Pearl “Harbour”, which would be incorrect and would probably irritate some Americans in the same way. I’m sure we could find some examples of the British media doing just that, and they should cut it out.
Old Nov 13th 2008, 1:01 pm
BE Forum Addict

Janek66 has a reputation beyond reputeJanek66 has a reputation beyond reputeJanek66 has a reputation beyond reputeJanek66 has a reputation beyond reputeJanek66 has a reputation beyond reputeJanek66 has a reputation beyond reputeJanek66 has a reputation beyond reputeJanek66 has a reputation beyond reputeJanek66 has a reputation beyond reputeJanek66 has a reputation beyond reputeJanek66 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by elfman
One thing that does get on my tits in relation to US/British spelling differences is the way that the US media almost universally describes Gordon Brown as the leader of the “Labor” party. Yes I know that in general use the word labor/labour is spelled differently in the two countries, but surely this shouldn’t apply when the word is the actual name of the institution and not a general noun, adjective, or whatever, and begins with a capital letter.

A reverse equivalent would be if the British media went on about the Japanese attack on Pearl “Harbour”, which would be incorrect and would probably irritate some Americans in the same way. I’m sure we could find some examples of the British media doing just that, and they should cut it out.
Another great site is www.urbandictionary.com
Old Nov 13th 2008, 1:04 pm

Lorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond repute

I've recently been working on a translation from an American font and it is full of words that I know the meaning of but would never use my myself.Just a few of which are :
Closet
Sidewalk
Crosswalk
Intersection
Master bath
Yard
Tot Lot
Old Nov 13th 2008, 1:09 pm
Unmitigated Gall

another bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond repute

My parents brought us a bag of these after they took a trip up to the NE recently.

Old Nov 13th 2008, 1:12 pm
Heading for Poppyland

robin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lorna at Vicenza
well my spell check that stops on all words with an S in them, a U and double letters in words like 'travelling' etc. drives me crazy. I think I'll turn it off.
The article in Wikipedia that the OP links to has a very interesting section on the "ise" versus "ize" suffix. I always thought that "ise" was British and "ize" American, but according to Wikipedia, the OED and Fowlers Usage strongly prefer the "ize." I never knew that.
Old Nov 13th 2008, 1:14 pm
BE Forum Addict

Janek66 has a reputation beyond reputeJanek66 has a reputation beyond reputeJanek66 has a reputation beyond reputeJanek66 has a reputation beyond reputeJanek66 has a reputation beyond reputeJanek66 has a reputation beyond reputeJanek66 has a reputation beyond reputeJanek66 has a reputation beyond reputeJanek66 has a reputation beyond reputeJanek66 has a reputation beyond reputeJanek66 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by another bloody yank
My parents brought us a bag of these after they took a trip up to the NE recently.

http://www.bogbeans.com/id-803//ImgU...00_2136777.JPG
LMAO Superb ABY, are they any good?
Old Nov 13th 2008, 1:16 pm
Unmitigated Gall

another bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Janek66
LMAO Superb ABY, are they any good?
Yeah, they are!
Old Nov 13th 2008, 1:19 pm
Heading for Poppyland

robin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lorna at Vicenza
I've recently been working on a translation from an American font and it is full of words that I know the meaning of but would never use my myself.Just a few of which are :
Closet
Sidewalk
Crosswalk
Intersection
Master bath
Yard
Tot Lot
CLOSET is one of those words that are still current in America, that became archaic in England a century or more ago. Others are faucet, pitcher (i.e. jug), pail (i.e. bucket) & many others.

I use SIDEWALK because the British equivalent (pavement) has a completely different meaning her. For instance, I wouldn't recommend walking on the pavement on Main Street, even in my small town...
Old Nov 13th 2008, 3:15 pm
Septic Sprout

tonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond repute

Sometimes things just crack me up... (at a salad bar)
Attached Thumbnails Great site for British/American "English" differences-n584463059_1622472_1029.jpg  
Old Nov 13th 2008, 3:21 pm
Unmitigated Gall

Originally Posted by tonrob
Sometimes things just crack me up... (at a salad bar)
They actually have a person whose title is "Salad Tosser"?
Old Nov 13th 2008, 3:45 pm
Septic Sprout

tonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by another bloody yank
They actually have a person whose title is "Salad Tosser"?
I think I'll have my dressing on the side....

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.