Can I Take Food?

Old Dec 12th 2009, 5:08 pm
If u see Sid, tell 'im...

Location: Ex of Hucknall and Mansfield, Notts and now in Manly, Whangaparaoa, just North of Auckland!
sirplug has a reputation beyond reputesirplug has a reputation beyond reputesirplug has a reputation beyond reputesirplug has a reputation beyond reputesirplug has a reputation beyond reputesirplug has a reputation beyond reputesirplug has a reputation beyond reputesirplug has a reputation beyond reputesirplug has a reputation beyond reputesirplug has a reputation beyond reputesirplug has a reputation beyond repute
Default Can I Take Food?

Hi, quick question. I have just been given a very nice, chrome 20 jar spice rack as an early Christmas present, as the container is being packed on Monday.

Only thing is, can I take spices with me?
Old Dec 12th 2009, 7:38 pm
BE Enthusiast

teebrown has a reputation beyond reputeteebrown has a reputation beyond reputeteebrown has a reputation beyond reputeteebrown has a reputation beyond reputeteebrown has a reputation beyond reputeteebrown has a reputation beyond reputeteebrown has a reputation beyond reputeteebrown has a reputation beyond reputeteebrown has a reputation beyond reputeteebrown has a reputation beyond reputeteebrown has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Can I Take Food?

No we weren't allowed to take spices with us, I emptied mine out and had to re-buy once here.
Old Dec 12th 2009, 8:31 pm

Location: Ex of Hucknall and Mansfield, Notts and now in Manly, Whangaparaoa, just North of Auckland!
sirplug has a reputation beyond reputesirplug has a reputation beyond reputesirplug has a reputation beyond reputesirplug has a reputation beyond reputesirplug has a reputation beyond reputesirplug has a reputation beyond reputesirplug has a reputation beyond reputesirplug has a reputation beyond reputesirplug has a reputation beyond reputesirplug has a reputation beyond reputesirplug has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by teebrown
No we weren't allowed to take spices with us, I emptied mine out and had to re-buy once here.
Was this on the advice of the Removal Firm or MAF?
Old Dec 12th 2009, 8:31 pm
BE Forum Addict

Justcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond repute

If its going in the container pack it anyway.
As long as the jars are still sealed and its packed in
its original packaging you should be ok.
The worst that can happen is that MAF will investigate it
at this end and either empty the jars,which can be re stocked
here, allow it in.

People get to hung up about what they can bring, we were the same.
Its not as if you are going to be sent home for having some dirty tent pegs
in your stuff.
Maf will simply make a small charge for checking and cleaning.
Lots of people we know just packed their whole house contents and have
not had a problem.
Its really not a big deal.
Old Dec 13th 2009, 2:21 am
BE Enthusiast

teebrown has a reputation beyond reputeteebrown has a reputation beyond reputeteebrown has a reputation beyond reputeteebrown has a reputation beyond reputeteebrown has a reputation beyond reputeteebrown has a reputation beyond reputeteebrown has a reputation beyond reputeteebrown has a reputation beyond reputeteebrown has a reputation beyond reputeteebrown has a reputation beyond reputeteebrown has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sirplug
Was this on the advice of the Removal Firm or MAF?
This was on thea advice of our packers.
Old Dec 13th 2009, 5:51 am
BE Forum Addict

Justcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond repute

our packers told us i couldnt bring my motorcycle
They were wrong.
They also advised against anything wood, animal products (err leather suite),
camping equipment (they were wrong), anything that had been in the garden (wrong),
the filters from our hoover (wrong), TV's (they said they wouldnt work. they were wrong),
mountain bikes as they may have soil on them, (Wrong again).
I have not heard of maf stopping anything coming in. they may charge to
clean something (a few hundred bucks) but thats yer lot.
Old Dec 13th 2009, 6:04 am
BE Forum Addict

Just to drive my point home further my mother regularly sends us parcels of our favourite
foods from the uk (i makes her feel better). She always declares whats in the parcels on the
customs labels and every one has reached us. a couple have been checked by bio security
but they have allowed the contents through.
Things she has sent include
walkers crisps
bisto gravey
Jaffa cakes
Mcvities biscuits
knorr stew and pasta sauces
OXO cubes
jabobs crackers
CHEESE (yes.... cheese)
stilton
brie
red leicester
wenslydale
Galaxy chocolate
those little sachets of flavoured drinking chocolate.
Every one of these items got through maf without incident.
Old Dec 13th 2009, 6:30 am
BE Enthusiast

People have bought things over the the packers have said no too, us included, we bought loads that other people said we shouldn't or couldn't. I think to be on the safe side and to have it in black and white, why don't you drop MAF a quick email, and that way if the packers say NO you can prove them wrong. We only took the 'NO' from our packers about the spices, because they had been around a long time and probably weren't that fresh anyway, so it gave me good excuse to buy new when I got here.

Have a good trip.
Old Dec 13th 2009, 8:32 am
BE Forum Addict

lapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond repute

Processed food like herbs, cans, bottles is no problem at all. The only thing MAF is worried about is fresh stuff or seeds that could be viable (ie grow). The packers will lie through their teeth to avoid any chance of a MAF inspection, because you will have paid them a fixed rate for MAF check and they would rather just pocket this if there is nothing MAF want to look at. So, bring your herbs, whisky, wood, etc etc
Things MAF don't like are wicker (can contain bugs); unclean camping gear or anything else that is dirty or grassy; seeds; pinecones.
I was told by my removal company that animal hides are a no-no; I emailed MAF and had a very helpful email back saying that provided a hide has been properly tanned, there is no problem.
Old Dec 13th 2009, 1:20 pm

Thanks for all the replies.

The container will now be very full!!