Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Buy overseas - enjoy GST being slapped on any purchase

Buy overseas - enjoy GST being slapped on any purchase

Old Jul 11th 2013, 3:37 am
BE Enthusiast

Mark Smith has a reputation beyond reputeMark Smith has a reputation beyond reputeMark Smith has a reputation beyond reputeMark Smith has a reputation beyond reputeMark Smith has a reputation beyond reputeMark Smith has a reputation beyond reputeMark Smith has a reputation beyond reputeMark Smith has a reputation beyond reputeMark Smith has a reputation beyond reputeMark Smith has a reputation beyond reputeMark Smith has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Buy overseas - enjoy GST being slapped on any purchase

Sports Direct (sorry Newcastle fans)
Old Jul 11th 2013, 4:20 am
BE Forum Addict

TommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond repute

First question;

Why an earth were you buying an All Blacks jersey?

Second question;

For clarification, when ordering on this manner, just what is the process and how is the GST paid?
Old Jul 11th 2013, 4:25 am
BE Enthusiast

moonie2011 is a splendid one to beholdmoonie2011 is a splendid one to beholdmoonie2011 is a splendid one to beholdmoonie2011 is a splendid one to beholdmoonie2011 is a splendid one to beholdmoonie2011 is a splendid one to beholdmoonie2011 is a splendid one to beholdmoonie2011 is a splendid one to beholdmoonie2011 is a splendid one to beholdmoonie2011 is a splendid one to beholdmoonie2011 is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Tom1983
So I log online to Sports Direct (sorry Newcastle fans) and there it is, the NZ rugby shirt priced at 39.99 with delivery charge set at 18.99 for NZ.
OMG I am now in heaven, I can order from sports direct YIPPEE
Old Jul 11th 2013, 5:02 am
Account Closed

Tom1983 has a spectacular aura aboutTom1983 has a spectacular aura aboutTom1983 has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by TommyLuck
First question;

Why an earth were you buying an All Blacks jersey?

Second question;

For clarification, when ordering on this manner, just what is the process and how is the GST paid?
Answer to number 1 - adapting to local culture. Nothing wrong with wearing an All Black jersey to see them stuff the Irish, French and the Welsh.. In more particular watching them stuff the Aussies

To number 2

When shopping on line, you have what's called a shipping delivery method. Upon purchase, you then enter delivery address. Some companies back home ship free, some cost. Sports Direct, American Golf and Online golf charge.

Once you've entered the address and select New Zealand, the fee then gets added onto the total bill. When this is done, the retailers back home have a set limit (currently set at 190.00). If your total bill comes under this amount, you do not require to pay customs, they send this over explaining what it is, how much you've spent in NZ dollars and then tick purchase or gift.

If the value is over $400, then what will happen is the retailer back at home will note on the customs declaration form that this is the case. You will then be required to go to a NZ Post mail centre or a customs centre and will have to pay the current rate of duty that is being charged to enable the good to be bought into the country. Usually you get a telephone call for this and you arrange a suitable time with them to pay and pick the product up. Some people tend to pay over the phone and allow the product to be sent but others tend to visit the centre and pay there and then

If only Tesco delivered whisky, customs and excise would be guaranteed to have business for life from me.
Old Jul 11th 2013, 5:05 am
BE Enthusiast

Mark Smith has a reputation beyond reputeMark Smith has a reputation beyond reputeMark Smith has a reputation beyond reputeMark Smith has a reputation beyond reputeMark Smith has a reputation beyond reputeMark Smith has a reputation beyond reputeMark Smith has a reputation beyond reputeMark Smith has a reputation beyond reputeMark Smith has a reputation beyond reputeMark Smith has a reputation beyond reputeMark Smith has a reputation beyond repute

No.2 be prepared to wait on the phone for ever. Customs can hang onto items for a week or so before getting in touch.

Tom try www.whiskyandmore.co.nzup in Hamilton. Delivery is $5 for upto 6 bottles and they have some barnstorming sales.
Old Jul 11th 2013, 6:45 am
BE Forum Addict

Jan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond repute

The wife bought a skirt from marks and sparks for 28 quid last month with free delivery which took 10 days the equivalent one here was 200 bux, Its a no brainer we always look online first now

Neil
Old Jul 11th 2013, 8:25 am
BE Forum Addict

TommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond repute

Answer to number 1 - adapting to local culture. Nothing wrong with wearing an All Black jersey to see them stuff the Irish, French and the Welsh.. In more particular watching them stuff the Aussies.
Fair enough.

Can't see me doing the same. Not that I'm anti-All Black. Couldn't give a monkeys what anyone else is doing, except for England and of course the Lions. After all they're the ones with an inferiority complex of England

I do have a ticket for the Bledisloe Cup game in Wellington in August, but I'm going as a beer fan and for good times first, rugby fan second. The result matters not. I've seen the Aussies beaten first hand once already this year

To number 2

When shopping on line, you have what's called a shipping delivery method. Upon purchase, you then enter delivery address. Some companies back home ship free, some cost. Sports Direct, American Golf and Online golf charge.

Once you've entered the address and select New Zealand, the fee then gets added onto the total bill. When this is done, the retailers back home have a set limit (currently set at 190.00). If your total bill comes under this amount, you do not require to pay customs, they send this over explaining what it is, how much you've spent in NZ dollars and then tick purchase or gift.

If the value is over $400, then what will happen is the retailer back at home will note on the customs declaration form that this is the case. You will then be required to go to a NZ Post mail centre or a customs centre and will have to pay the current rate of duty that is being charged to enable the good to be bought into the country. Usually you get a telephone call for this and you arrange a suitable time with them to pay and pick the product up. Some people tend to pay over the phone and allow the product to be sent but others tend to visit the centre and pay there and then

If only Tesco delivered whisky, customs and excise would be guaranteed to have business for life from me.
Thanks for that and good work on the mention on the Whiskey, leading to Mark's tip off.

Will be shipping as much duty free back next time we leave and head back in to NZ. 3 litres per adult or thereabouts (up to 3 bottles of not more than 1125mls each), I believe?
Old Jul 11th 2013, 8:28 am
BE Enthusiast

Robbie2010 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbie2010 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbie2010 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbie2010 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbie2010 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbie2010 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbie2010 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbie2010 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbie2010 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbie2010 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbie2010 has a reputation beyond repute

I assume that Marks, Sports Direct, American Golf etc remove the VAT from the price they charge? The places I buy from do and it usually covers the postage.
Old Jul 11th 2013, 8:43 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond repute

Unusually all the comments I have read on the Herald site seem to concur with BE opinions with regards to this 'Grossly Stupid Tax' and lack of choices and availability of stuff in NZ.

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/opinion/ne...ectid=10896752
Old Jul 13th 2013, 8:59 am
BE Enthusiast

janeyk has a reputation beyond reputejaneyk has a reputation beyond reputejaneyk has a reputation beyond reputejaneyk has a reputation beyond reputejaneyk has a reputation beyond reputejaneyk has a reputation beyond reputejaneyk has a reputation beyond reputejaneyk has a reputation beyond reputejaneyk has a reputation beyond reputejaneyk has a reputation beyond reputejaneyk has a reputation beyond repute

Kindke purchases charge vat regards of credit card at 20% so if that taken off and gst added I would save another 5% on my books