Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

BuckBoys NZ observations - moved from - Emigrating from Kent to Auckland

BuckBoys NZ observations - moved from - Emigrating from Kent to Auckland

Old Oct 16th 2014, 2:10 am
`

BEVS has disabled reputation
Default Re: BuckBoys NZ observations - moved from - Emigrating from Kent to Auckland

Originally Posted by Polly 3
I if you do ever have a problem with an agent to report it to the REINZ and they will take action.
Had a mega dodgy one here. He had his license suspended for a while but has gone on to run a Green Door franchise.
Old Oct 16th 2014, 2:27 am
Forum Regular

Polly 3 is a splendid one to beholdPolly 3 is a splendid one to beholdPolly 3 is a splendid one to beholdPolly 3 is a splendid one to beholdPolly 3 is a splendid one to beholdPolly 3 is a splendid one to beholdPolly 3 is a splendid one to beholdPolly 3 is a splendid one to beholdPolly 3 is a splendid one to beholdPolly 3 is a splendid one to beholdPolly 3 is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: BuckBoys NZ observations - moved from - Emigrating from Kent to Auckland

Hey Bevs, whats the Green door thing, saw a place advertised with that name, emailed three times over a property and no response, so rude!
Old Oct 16th 2014, 2:42 am
Life is what YOU make it.

Stormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond repute

Company run by Frankie Vaughan...
Old Oct 16th 2014, 4:42 am
Just Joined

BucksBoy has a brilliant futureBucksBoy has a brilliant futureBucksBoy has a brilliant futureBucksBoy has a brilliant futureBucksBoy has a brilliant futureBucksBoy has a brilliant futureBucksBoy has a brilliant future

Hi all
My original posting has certainly got people talking, for that reason alone I'd call it a success.
Hopefully any prospective immigrants will have their eyes opened to the pro's AND cons of coming here and that can only be a good thing.
I'm married to a kiwi who spent 20+ years in the UK before we met and moved here. Before moving here we had 2 amazing holidays in NZ, toured the north and south islands, 'sampled the life' if you like.
Initially we moved to Nelson, a little paradise. However after 20 months we found certain aspects of life there didn't suit us so we moved about an hour north of Auckland.
we've been in NZ nearly 8 years, I've completely renovated 2 houses, started my own small business taken on an abused dog, adopted a neglected child. I've joined the Lions, and was a volunteer fire fighter for 3 years.
What I'm trying to say is that I didn't land here in 2007 decide I didn't like it and go into a big sulk. I've really tried to make a life here but after all this time I still don't understand the mentality of these people and I don't think I ever will.
Upon gaining my NZ citizenship I was told by a local that I might be a New Zealander but I'll never be a kiwi. I thank my lucky stars for that!
I stand by my earlier rant and hope to get back to 'the world' next year.
Good luck to those who stay, make sure you're staying for the right reasons.
Old Oct 16th 2014, 6:37 am
BE Enthusiast

bearskin has a reputation beyond reputebearskin has a reputation beyond reputebearskin has a reputation beyond reputebearskin has a reputation beyond reputebearskin has a reputation beyond reputebearskin has a reputation beyond reputebearskin has a reputation beyond reputebearskin has a reputation beyond reputebearskin has a reputation beyond reputebearskin has a reputation beyond reputebearskin has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BucksBoy
Upon gaining my NZ citizenship I was told by a local that I might be a New Zealander but I'll never be a kiwi. I thank my lucky stars for that!
God, that's just lovely isn't it. People can be such arses. And kiwis can be such village idiots

I stand by my earlier rant and hope to get back to 'the world' next year.
Good for you, as I said I do agree with what you said. Just that I find it overall on balance better than living in the UK
Old Oct 16th 2014, 12:42 pm
Banned

ajwbond is an unknown quantity at this point

I've really tried to make a life here but after all this time I still don't understand the mentality of these people and I don't think I ever will.
This reminds me of a story my wife told me while at Unitech University studying as a mature student and after having been in New Zealand for 4 years. She had previously told one of the tutors that she now felt at home in New Zealand and after a couple of weeks an historical piece regarding Maori history and the coming of the pakeha was shown at which point the tutor singled her out and asked her, with a sarcastic smirk, if she still felt like it was home?

This was not the reason we left New Zealand but this is the mentality of a lot of kiwis.
Old Oct 16th 2014, 6:03 pm

Stormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ajwbond
This reminds me of a story my wife told me while at Unitech University studying as a mature student and after having been in New Zealand for 4 years. She had previously told one of the tutors that she now felt at home in New Zealand and after a couple of weeks an historical piece regarding Maori history and the coming of the pakeha was shown at which point the tutor singled her out and asked her, with a sarcastic smirk, if she still felt like it was home?

This was not the reason we left New Zealand but this is the mentality of a lot of kiwis.
Yes luckily not the mentality in England...is it Paddy ?, is it Taffy ? what say you Jock ?
Old Oct 16th 2014, 6:23 pm
Banned

ajwbond is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Stormer999
Yes luckily not the mentality in England...is it Paddy ?, is it Taffy ? what say you Jock ?
I don't think that I mentioned England in my post, but if it makes you feel better yes i'm sure there is a lot of prejudice there too. The difference is that most problems in the UK will smack you in the face and not be hidden beneath people glossing over issues or pretending problems don't exist.
Old Oct 16th 2014, 7:03 pm

So are you saying that in NZ people are prejudiced towards foreigners but hide the fact?
Old Oct 16th 2014, 11:02 pm
BE Enthusiast

bearskin has a reputation beyond reputebearskin has a reputation beyond reputebearskin has a reputation beyond reputebearskin has a reputation beyond reputebearskin has a reputation beyond reputebearskin has a reputation beyond reputebearskin has a reputation beyond reputebearskin has a reputation beyond reputebearskin has a reputation beyond reputebearskin has a reputation beyond reputebearskin has a reputation beyond repute

So are you saying that in NZ people are prejudiced towards foreigners but hide the fact?
I would say that.

They will initially mask their prejudice - or even let's call it racism (what it often extends to) but if pushed it will usually be there. This extends to prejudice within their own - definitely from maori to pakeha and vice versa, but also, pathetically, to North island vs South Island and Rest of NZ vs Auckland.

Funny that all NZers are descended from immigrants (yes, even the maori). I have seen outright racism towards new UK migrants from New Zealanders whose own parents were UK immigrants. They think that having been born here makes them superior to anyone who comes to live here who wasn't.
Old Oct 16th 2014, 11:06 pm
BE Enthusiast

Sorry, forgot to add - the cracks to the mask usually start with "Oh they can't drive" or ""Why can't they speak English", starting to show the underlying prejudice and superiority complex issues. Unfortunately it is a common part of everyday NZ culture - even in a so-called 'professional' atmosphere of an office/workplace.
Old Oct 16th 2014, 11:11 pm
Happy in Wellington

RobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bearskin
I would say that.

They will initially mask their prejudice - or even let's call it racism (what it often extends to) but if pushed it will usually be there. This extends to prejudice within their own - definitely from maori to pakeha and vice versa, but also, pathetically, to North island vs South Island and Rest of NZ vs Auckland.

Funny that all NZers are descended from immigrants (yes, even the maori). I have seen outright racism towards new UK migrants from New Zealanders whose own parents were UK immigrants. They think that having been born here makes them superior to anyone who comes to live here who wasn't.
Originally Posted by bearskin
Sorry, forgot to add - the cracks to the mask usually start with "Oh they can't drive" or ""Why can't they speak English", starting to show the underlying prejudice and superiority complex issues. Unfortunately it is a common part of everyday NZ culture - even in a so-called 'professional' atmosphere of an office/workplace.
I see this all the time - usually in jest, but you have to wonder what underlies the jests.
Old Oct 16th 2014, 11:22 pm

So Bearskin you think NZ people are racist
Old Oct 17th 2014, 12:01 am
BE Enthusiast

So Bearskin you think NZ people are racist
In a sweepingly generalistic statement: Yes.

I think people in the UK are as well - the issues I've described are also part of life in the UK - people thinking themselves superior to other people who move from another country and talking about them in derogatory terms. However, I do think the UK is better overall - it has more 'history' of it and people seem to get along with each other a bit better. However, the extremes are maybe more pronounced. NZ has a more underlying racism as it were.

And, NZ even has/had an overtly racist political party that had active MPs sitting in parliament. Mr Harawira is openly prejudiced against white people - can't remember what he calls us but it's something rude. I think he would happily embrace apartheid.
Old Oct 17th 2014, 12:08 am
---

bourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond repute

I think some Kiwis are xenophobic and some are racist. I also think some Brits are - a lot of them seem to migrate to Australia and NZ, clueless about the values they hold Kiwis do make generalisations about JAFFAs and SIers, etc., but there's a lot of stereotyping about people from different areas of Britain too; for example, people all over Britain make cracks about people from Liverpool, Somerset, Essex, Yorkshire, Wales, etc., etc. Sometimes that is in jest but a lot of it reflects deeply entrenched prejudices. That's humans, I 'spose.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.