Broadband

Old Nov 17th 2008, 5:15 am
Forum Regular

Moomoo has a reputation beyond reputeMoomoo has a reputation beyond reputeMoomoo has a reputation beyond reputeMoomoo has a reputation beyond reputeMoomoo has a reputation beyond reputeMoomoo has a reputation beyond reputeMoomoo has a reputation beyond reputeMoomoo has a reputation beyond reputeMoomoo has a reputation beyond reputeMoomoo has a reputation beyond reputeMoomoo has a reputation beyond repute
Default Broadband

Advice needed- we have just been told by Telecom that it will take up to 6 months to connect our new rental property to Broadband. The telephone line is provided by Telecom. This is because in the rural area we have taken a rental in (Whitford- not the back of beyond really) there is a waiting list!! I thought they were taking the p***! Dial-up wouldn't be an issue but we really don't won't to go back to the dark ages and playing Xbox live on a dial-up wouldn't be much fun...........

Ok so does anyone know a way round this apart from a daily visit to Starbucks. Is there another service provider that can either bypass the Telecom waiting list or else can provide an alternative connection. Any advice or help would be gratefully received.

I did try having a discussion with Telecom suggesting that as there is a waiting list they were missing a business opportunity but it seemed to fall on deaf ears- perhaps a letter to John Keys may elicit a response particularly as he wants to bring broadband in NZ up to modern standards!!

Mr M (shortly to be home broadband less!)
Old Nov 17th 2008, 5:44 am
BE Enthusiast

owen is a splendid one to beholdowen is a splendid one to beholdowen is a splendid one to beholdowen is a splendid one to beholdowen is a splendid one to beholdowen is a splendid one to beholdowen is a splendid one to beholdowen is a splendid one to beholdowen is a splendid one to beholdowen is a splendid one to beholdowen is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Broadband

Hi moomoo,

The only thing I can think of is satellite stuff like farmside and wirednation or vodafone, but don't know what costs are like. I think I read somewhere that wirednation is pretty quick but I don't know anything about them or their service. Just a few pointers for your research. Good luck
Old Nov 17th 2008, 5:57 am
Forum Regular

Moomoo has a reputation beyond reputeMoomoo has a reputation beyond reputeMoomoo has a reputation beyond reputeMoomoo has a reputation beyond reputeMoomoo has a reputation beyond reputeMoomoo has a reputation beyond reputeMoomoo has a reputation beyond reputeMoomoo has a reputation beyond reputeMoomoo has a reputation beyond reputeMoomoo has a reputation beyond reputeMoomoo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by owen
Hi moomoo,

The only thing I can think of is satellite stuff like farmside and wirednation or vodafone, but don't know what costs are like. I think I read somewhere that wirednation is pretty quick but I don't know anything about them or their service. Just a few pointers for your research. Good luck
Thanks Owen
Old Nov 17th 2008, 8:19 am
VP - Rangers Support Club

theduke has a brilliant futuretheduke has a brilliant futuretheduke has a brilliant futuretheduke has a brilliant futuretheduke has a brilliant futuretheduke has a brilliant futuretheduke has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by Moomoo
Advice needed- we have just been told by Telecom that it will take up to 6 months to connect our new rental property to Broadband. The telephone line is provided by Telecom. This is because in the rural area we have taken a rental in (Whitford- not the back of beyond really) there is a waiting list!! I thought they were taking the p***! Dial-up wouldn't be an issue but we really don't won't to go back to the dark ages and playing Xbox live on a dial-up wouldn't be much fun...........

Ok so does anyone know a way round this apart from a daily visit to Starbucks. Is there another service provider that can either bypass the Telecom waiting list or else can provide an alternative connection. Any advice or help would be gratefully received.

I did try having a discussion with Telecom suggesting that as there is a waiting list they were missing a business opportunity but it seemed to fall on deaf ears- perhaps a letter to John Keys may elicit a response particularly as he wants to bring broadband in NZ up to modern standards!!

We had the same issue when we moved here about 3 yrs ago, not far from you.

Try whoosh they have broadband wireless my mate has it and swears by it!
Old Nov 17th 2008, 9:56 pm
Cow on the Beach

Wooly_Cow has a reputation beyond reputeWooly_Cow has a reputation beyond reputeWooly_Cow has a reputation beyond reputeWooly_Cow has a reputation beyond reputeWooly_Cow has a reputation beyond reputeWooly_Cow has a reputation beyond reputeWooly_Cow has a reputation beyond reputeWooly_Cow has a reputation beyond reputeWooly_Cow has a reputation beyond reputeWooly_Cow has a reputation beyond reputeWooly_Cow has a reputation beyond repute

Yup, wireless or satelite is the only way to go. Telecom are responsible for the DSL hardware at the exchanges (DSLAM, MSAN's etc.) if there aren't any or they are full, then it's up to Telecom to add to the capacity. For the moment all alternative operators take wholesale DSL capacity from Telecom (EUBA - Enhanced Unbundled Bitstream Access) or BUBA (Basic ...) I don't know if there is a legal option for them to place their own DSLAM/MSAN's in Telecoms exchanges yet and only rent the lines but as far as I know they don't. Up shot is no Telecom equipment left = long lead times no matter which DSL provider you choose....and don't think this effects only rural areas. Some new sections in Porirua (Aotea) are now FULL and haveleadtimes till mid 2010!!

The only other option is of course Telstra cable but with limtied coverage...

Not good I'm afriad.

One small positive, there has just been a brand new under sea cable commsioned between Australia and Hawaii - this added capacity in the region MAY eventually pass through to cheaper Internet and Telecoms costs....but it'll take time

:curse:
Old Nov 17th 2008, 10:01 pm
BE Enthusiast

nero has a reputation beyond reputenero has a reputation beyond reputenero has a reputation beyond reputenero has a reputation beyond reputenero has a reputation beyond reputenero has a reputation beyond reputenero has a reputation beyond reputenero has a reputation beyond reputenero has a reputation beyond reputenero has a reputation beyond reputenero has a reputation beyond repute

We use a combination of Telecom for the telephone line and Woosh Broadband for the Internet, which is a good combination. Prior to this we had Woosh Broadband wireless and this was good for both the Internet and the telephone, but our new location is surrounded by hills and consequently our reliance on Telecom now. NZ Herald had an article yesterday re good versus bad providers (sorry I do not have the link) but it may be worth checking out.
Old Nov 18th 2008, 6:00 am
Forum Regular

Thanks for all the replies, we are currently talking to Compass to see what they can do, but may look into Whoosh.

Thanks
Moomoo
Old Nov 18th 2008, 6:52 am
BE Forum Addict

Justcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Moomoo

been there got the T-shirt, welcome to NZ.
telecome are pathetic when it comes to customer service and service provision.
i would say they offer a second rate service but that would be far to complimentary.
some it would seem are quite happy to accept the crap they offer and think its
wrong to complain about the woeful state of telecomunications provision here in nz.
the phrase 3rd world springs to mind but it doesnt go down to well.
Many seem to think that we should accept nz's shortfalls and do nothing about it,
the last thing they want to be seen as is a whinging pom and they end up sucking up more shit than
any kiwi i know ever would.
maybe if they got their fingers out of their arses and spoke up things would change.
A letter of complaint to my MP, local council and chamber of comerce worked for me.