Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Pound's at it again

Pound's at it again

Old Nov 13th 2008, 7:42 pm
BE Forum Addict

Genesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond repute
Default Pound's at it again

Bloody hell!! The £/$ had dipped below $2.60:curse:

Will it EVER return to the late $2.80s one wonders?

The £ is very weak by all accounts and the kiwi being weak too does not seem to matter atall. Its still a very bad time to be changing £s to kiwis.

Any thoughts anyone. I understand the UK economy is really stuffed from what I have gleaned.
Old Nov 13th 2008, 9:10 pm
BE Enthusiast

Kimi-Deacon is a splendid one to beholdKimi-Deacon is a splendid one to beholdKimi-Deacon is a splendid one to beholdKimi-Deacon is a splendid one to beholdKimi-Deacon is a splendid one to beholdKimi-Deacon is a splendid one to beholdKimi-Deacon is a splendid one to beholdKimi-Deacon is a splendid one to beholdKimi-Deacon is a splendid one to beholdKimi-Deacon is a splendid one to beholdKimi-Deacon is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Pound's at it again

Just been talking to Big Sis on skype about this as they are thinking of making the move, i didn't realize it was $2.58 to £ at the moment. Then she informed me that its on the news that BT are going to lay off 10,000 workers in the UK, things are not looking good. Me thinks we moved at the right time. OH works in telecoms.
Old Nov 13th 2008, 9:23 pm
Forum Regular

bjddavies is just really nicebjddavies is just really nicebjddavies is just really nicebjddavies is just really nicebjddavies is just really nicebjddavies is just really nicebjddavies is just really nicebjddavies is just really nicebjddavies is just really nice

Originally Posted by Genesis

The £ is very weak by all accounts and the kiwi being weak too does not seem to matter atall. Its still a very bad time to be changing £s to kiwis.

Any thoughts anyone. I understand the UK economy is really stuffed from what I have gleaned.
I am surprised that the pound has ever been "strong" in the last 10 years. The UK has not had a manufacturing trade surplus since I was 3 years old and I am rapidly approaching middle age. The current account has not had a surplus since the '80s I think. Probably the only thing that keeps it anything near strong is the selling off of assets to wealthy foreigners.
Old Nov 13th 2008, 10:53 pm
BE Forum Addict

Genesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bjddavies
I am surprised that the pound has ever been "strong" in the last 10 years. The UK has not had a manufacturing trade surplus since I was 3 years old and I am rapidly approaching middle age. The current account has not had a surplus since the '80s I think. Probably the only thing that keeps it anything near strong is the selling off of assets to wealthy foreigners.
Sounds like I won't be changing £s anytime soon..or within the next decade perchance!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I have a forward contract with Hifx at $3......yeah right..when hell freezes over!!!
Old Nov 14th 2008, 1:09 pm
Galaxy 1: Cadbury's 0

uk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond repute

Sounds like I won't be changing £s anytime soon..or within the next decade perchance!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I have a forward contract with Hifx at $3......yeah right..when hell freezes over!!!

It'll get there. Be (stay) positive!

If I'm not mistaken, NZ has officially been in a recession for longer than the UK's economic woes.
Old Nov 14th 2008, 1:22 pm
Forum Regular

hosebergine has much to be proud ofhosebergine has much to be proud ofhosebergine has much to be proud ofhosebergine has much to be proud ofhosebergine has much to be proud ofhosebergine has much to be proud ofhosebergine has much to be proud ofhosebergine has much to be proud ofhosebergine has much to be proud ofhosebergine has much to be proud ofhosebergine has much to be proud of

chin up everyone, it was very low in March when we came for our recce.

Say with me: the NZ dollar is one of the most volatile currencies in the world

Did it work? Did I cheer you up...?

Thought not
Old Nov 15th 2008, 12:02 am
BE Enthusiast

owen is a splendid one to beholdowen is a splendid one to beholdowen is a splendid one to beholdowen is a splendid one to beholdowen is a splendid one to beholdowen is a splendid one to beholdowen is a splendid one to beholdowen is a splendid one to beholdowen is a splendid one to beholdowen is a splendid one to beholdowen is a splendid one to behold

Hurrah is all I can say, not all of us move currency from £ to $!!!!!
Old Nov 16th 2008, 4:44 am
---

bourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond repute

Quite! I need to repay a (small from family) loan and will end up paying heaps more if it doesn't get down soon. I'd like 1:2
Old Nov 16th 2008, 2:39 pm
BE Enthusiast

jennifer45 has a reputation beyond reputejennifer45 has a reputation beyond reputejennifer45 has a reputation beyond reputejennifer45 has a reputation beyond reputejennifer45 has a reputation beyond reputejennifer45 has a reputation beyond reputejennifer45 has a reputation beyond reputejennifer45 has a reputation beyond reputejennifer45 has a reputation beyond reputejennifer45 has a reputation beyond reputejennifer45 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by owen
Hurrah is all I can say, not all of us move currency from £ to $!!!!!
We were intending buying property last year but it dipped so low we would have lost thousands on the purchase. (NZ$ 26532) Maybe it was an omen because houses everywhere are dropping in value.Despite it being a beautiful one it was OTT on price, so we'd have shelled out our savings and been stuck with a house well below what we'd paid for it. See- there's a good side to most things!
It's not really a case of moving currency around in all instances.
You probably will get your pension from NZ- won't be wanting anything from UK- that's fine- but when your only income are pensions from the UK a difference of .3 (ie 2.8 to 2.5) in the NZ$ rate can result in an annual deficit of over NZ$ 13,000. I guess that's why some of us have to keep an eye on it. I know you can pre-book a rate through HiFX for up to 2 years but I'm wary- especially after HBoS et al.
Now this here strong NZ$
It's great for my son's when they come over to visit!! Saves us having to sub them quite as much Another positive side to it.
Old Nov 18th 2008, 7:40 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by bourbon-biscuit
Quite! I need to repay a (small from family) loan and will end up paying heaps more if it doesn't get down soon. I'd like 1:2
What a helter skelter ride!! Its 2.74 just now..was $2.64 24hrs ago