Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

brits returning to NZ

brits returning to NZ

Old Feb 4th 2010, 12:08 am

george toni is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: brits returning to NZ

yep its true the south island is like a different country as far as i can tell but then iv'e never been further the chch so how the hell do I know!

certainly seems from posts and what I read that there seems to be a heck of alot more trouble up there than here in dunedin.

there IS crime here including beatings,murders and so on but it just dosnt impact in the same way it appears to for others 'up north'

all the best

george
Old Feb 4th 2010, 8:10 am
HAPPY AS...

hazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond repute

...and the media here doesn't make every effort to keep the population living in fear.
Crime happens, but kids here, in Taupo at least, don't take knives to school.
As for not being spectacular....I used to stay with a mate in Porthtowan, and as lovely as it is, it never made me say "WOW" as often as driving here does.
Old Feb 5th 2010, 7:15 am
Forum Regular

kooga61 has much to be proud ofkooga61 has much to be proud ofkooga61 has much to be proud ofkooga61 has much to be proud ofkooga61 has much to be proud ofkooga61 has much to be proud ofkooga61 has much to be proud ofkooga61 has much to be proud ofkooga61 has much to be proud ofkooga61 has much to be proud ofkooga61 has much to be proud of

You guys should try south Auckland......a right hell hole!

I loved NZ when I first arrived, but now I'm not so sure, I've become a bit disillusioned to be honest. I'm hoping in the next couple of years to go back for a spell (2 years). if I like it I'll stay. If not I'll come back.
Old Feb 5th 2010, 7:52 am
CHC-MEL commute since 91

derab has much to be proud ofderab has much to be proud ofderab has much to be proud ofderab has much to be proud ofderab has much to be proud ofderab has much to be proud ofderab has much to be proud ofderab has much to be proud ofderab has much to be proud ofderab has much to be proud ofderab has much to be proud of

Personally, every time I have a crisis of conscience I take a trip back to the family. every time a coconut, come home brighter and renewed in my conviction that 42 south beats 52 north anyday. you only need to go through Heathrow arrivals to get that feeling "GET ME HOME" to NZ.
dont get me wrong, there is nothing better than being in the UK as a tourist. its great. but to work and live there.. mmmmmmmm NO.!!!

having lived in Teesside, Andover, Dover, Southampton, Leyton, Lewisham, East Dulwich, Melbourne, Christchurch, Inverness. I have to say Christchurch is the pick (and not the dorset variety)

p.s. Kooga..
Thats the very worst place in the country.. would you like a bedsit in brixton to go to after your stint here?
Old Feb 5th 2010, 8:24 am
Forum Regular

kooga61 has much to be proud ofkooga61 has much to be proud ofkooga61 has much to be proud ofkooga61 has much to be proud ofkooga61 has much to be proud ofkooga61 has much to be proud ofkooga61 has much to be proud ofkooga61 has much to be proud ofkooga61 has much to be proud ofkooga61 has much to be proud ofkooga61 has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by derab
Personally, every time I have a crisis of conscience I take a trip back to the family. every time a coconut, come home brighter and renewed in my conviction that 42 south beats 52 north anyday. you only need to go through Heathrow arrivals to get that feeling "GET ME HOME" to NZ.
dont get me wrong, there is nothing better than being in the UK as a tourist. its great. but to work and live there.. mmmmmmmm NO.!!!

having lived in Teesside, Andover, Dover, Southampton, Leyton, Lewisham, East Dulwich, Melbourne, Christchurch, Inverness. I have to say Christchurch is the pick (and not the dorset variety)

p.s. Kooga..
Thats the very worst place in the country.. would you like a bedsit in brixton to go to after your stint here?
Christ mate! You've lived in some sh1t holes haven't you? I can understand why you would pick Christchurch over that lot!

I have been back in the past, and yes I did feel that way the first time I went back, but it's became more of an issue after that first time. I think I need a longer time back there to be certain one way or the other. It would also coincide with my wife's research and my youngest seeing her grand parents.
Old Feb 5th 2010, 8:54 am
CHC-MEL commute since 91

derab has much to be proud ofderab has much to be proud ofderab has much to be proud ofderab has much to be proud ofderab has much to be proud ofderab has much to be proud ofderab has much to be proud ofderab has much to be proud ofderab has much to be proud ofderab has much to be proud ofderab has much to be proud of

Aye kooga , especially the Melbourne one..

Grandy's do pay a big part mate. but please taste NZ outside Otara/Manukau please. unless you are like me and have to be near an (air)port. pick a better place to base your judgements on.

Personally I would take Sydney before Auckland, and Sydney is just below the Bronx as my preferred places to live. I went to Melbourne because the regional manager wanted to promote me and the choices were AKL/SYD/MEL, so I picked the least painfull. I still left the company within 2 years as I dont seem to fit into the Australian work psyche. but Auckland is my personal model of Hades.

Maybe the local Cantabrians have poisoned me, but thats my 2c
Old Feb 5th 2010, 10:12 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by derab
Aye kooga , especially the Melbourne one..

Grandy's do pay a big part mate. but please taste NZ outside Otara/Manukau please. unless you are like me and have to be near an (air)port. pick a better place to base your judgements on.

Personally I would take Sydney before Auckland, and Sydney is just below the Bronx as my preferred places to live. I went to Melbourne because the regional manager wanted to promote me and the choices were AKL/SYD/MEL, so I picked the least painfull. I still left the company within 2 years as I dont seem to fit into the Australian work psyche. but Auckland is my personal model of Hades.

Maybe the local Cantabrians have poisoned me, but thats my 2c
Sorry mate, I may have miss led you. I did used to live in south Auckland (hellhole), but now live on the shore....much much better

My job, and wifeys studies don't enable us to try anywhere else (at present). I would love to try "down south" (but not christchurch), but it's not a viable option at the moment.

Funny enough, I nearly ended up in Melbourne....was it really that bad?
Old Feb 5th 2010, 6:29 pm
CHC-MEL commute since 91

Kooga

Nah, not THAT bad
Melbourne is one of the better places over there.
I worked with a Brit in Melbourne who went to Oz via NZ, he was on the North Shore and Commuted to Mangere every day. he hates NZ and couldnt understand my returning to NZ.
(as I am writing this I have a feeling it should be on a different thread)
But the main point is neither of us even contemplates going back to the old dart, a bad day downunder beats a good day in the UK once you take family out of the picture.
Old Feb 6th 2010, 9:59 pm
BE Enthusiast

janeyk has a reputation beyond reputejaneyk has a reputation beyond reputejaneyk has a reputation beyond reputejaneyk has a reputation beyond reputejaneyk has a reputation beyond reputejaneyk has a reputation beyond reputejaneyk has a reputation beyond reputejaneyk has a reputation beyond reputejaneyk has a reputation beyond reputejaneyk has a reputation beyond reputejaneyk has a reputation beyond repute

Hey Kooch
I find your post intresting we have just returned to cornwall from NZ having speant 18 months in Wellington which were to be frank awful, one of the reasons we returned to cornwall is it is beautiful, crime rates are low, children are not materlistic that they are in other areas of the UK, NZ can be materlistic & racist, the suburb we lived in was classed as an executive areas, Children did not play out as parents spent all their time shipping them one from paid activity to another to compete with their neghbour down the road as well as what car they drove. The Kiwi neighbours were rude arrogrant and were very anti 'foriengners' Brits were ok but trying to keep up with their neighbours and remaining people seemed to scurry into their house never to be seen in daylight. Now we have only been back a short while but the welcome, love and genuine friendship from people we know is over whelming
The sun has spent more hours out here in the last 10 days than we saw for the last 3 months in wellington all I can say is I am glad to be home!

incidently I like you user name its one extra letter to my surname which i find bizarre condiering where we both currently live.
Old Feb 6th 2010, 10:48 pm
Forum Regular

Hey janeyk,

Where abouts in Cornwall do you live? The reason I ask is, when my wife finishes her masters she wants to go back to the UK to do some research work, before she embarks on her doctorate (marine micro biology). One of the area's we could end up in is cornwall. What areas would you suggest are the best?
Old Feb 7th 2010, 3:26 am
BE Enthusiast

mcuddy1 is a splendid one to beholdmcuddy1 is a splendid one to beholdmcuddy1 is a splendid one to beholdmcuddy1 is a splendid one to beholdmcuddy1 is a splendid one to beholdmcuddy1 is a splendid one to beholdmcuddy1 is a splendid one to beholdmcuddy1 is a splendid one to beholdmcuddy1 is a splendid one to beholdmcuddy1 is a splendid one to beholdmcuddy1 is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by janeyk
Hey Kooch
I find your post intresting we have just returned to cornwall from NZ having speant 18 months in Wellington which were to be frank awful, one of the reasons we returned to cornwall is it is beautiful, crime rates are low, children are not materlistic that they are in other areas of the UK, NZ can be materlistic & racist, the suburb we lived in was classed as an executive areas, Children did not play out as parents spent all their time shipping them one from paid activity to another to compete with their neghbour down the road as well as what car they drove. The Kiwi neighbours were rude arrogrant and were very anti 'foriengners' Brits were ok but trying to keep up with their neighbours and remaining people seemed to scurry into their house never to be seen in daylight. Now we have only been back a short while but the welcome, love and genuine friendship from people we know is over whelming
The sun has spent more hours out here in the last 10 days than we saw for the last 3 months in wellington all I can say is I am glad to be home!

incidently I like you user name its one extra letter to my surname which i find bizarre condiering where we both currently live.
Hey Janeyk

I can't wait to get out of CHCH NZ, what will 300GBP buy me in Cornwall? It and Devon are our area of choice.

You can't sit out in our garden here without the distant sound car exhausts, burnouts etc, all driven by the local nob heads.
Old Feb 7th 2010, 9:49 pm
Just Joined

kooch is a name known to allkooch is a name known to allkooch is a name known to allkooch is a name known to allkooch is a name known to allkooch is a name known to allkooch is a name known to allkooch is a name known to allkooch is a name known to allkooch is a name known to allkooch is a name known to all

Originally Posted by janeyk
Hey Kooch

hey there janeyk
unfortunately the brits all over the world are materialistic but you dont have to follow them, i never have. I live in sourh east cornwall and is very friendly, i live in a very quiet sreet with stunning views but with nowhere really for thekids to play. however we lived in the bay of plenty and the freedom for the kids was emense. and we were all very relaxed sitting outside almost every night in the spa pool as a family talking and looking at the stars. i can underatand your feelings regarding the 'anti brit' attitude as the 'pome' have a wingeing rep and we are stereotyped for this, also the sun in cornwall does not shine as much as you think it may where we were used to too much sun............. Kooch is my nic name since i was a child we will be returning to nz within the next 2 years but as i have mentioned previously we are now nz citizens so the return is a case of hopping on the plane without the stress of visa's etc
Old Feb 8th 2010, 9:03 am
BE Forum Addict

lapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mcuddy1
Hey Janeyk

I can't wait to get out of CHCH NZ, what will 300GBP buy me in Cornwall? It and Devon are our area of choice..
Probably a tank of diesel for your car and a week's worth or ready meals from Tesco
Old Feb 8th 2010, 12:28 pm
BE Enthusiast

janeyk has a reputation beyond reputejaneyk has a reputation beyond reputejaneyk has a reputation beyond reputejaneyk has a reputation beyond reputejaneyk has a reputation beyond reputejaneyk has a reputation beyond reputejaneyk has a reputation beyond reputejaneyk has a reputation beyond reputejaneyk has a reputation beyond reputejaneyk has a reputation beyond reputejaneyk has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: brits returning to NZ

£300k will buy a lovely cottage, modern house 3-4 beds easily, I also live in SE cornwall and orginally came from that area before emigrating, I did not originally want to live in cornwall when I had a job offer 7 years ago my heart was set on Tavistock but I am so gald we did it is just stunning, our old house was facing Bodmin moor view fantastic our new rental is in the tamar valley and is wow wow wow, I do not need constant sunshine to adore outside life but even when its cold you have nice clear sunny days a far cry from Wellington windy weather.
We have been back a week we did not return for family however we thought we would have a frosty response from friends and aquantances but far from it we have been overwhelmed with the love and support we recieved and it will certainly take alot to move us again from here even if I take a massive pay cut I am staying put
Old Feb 9th 2010, 12:07 am
BE Enthusiast

mcuddy1 is a splendid one to beholdmcuddy1 is a splendid one to beholdmcuddy1 is a splendid one to beholdmcuddy1 is a splendid one to beholdmcuddy1 is a splendid one to beholdmcuddy1 is a splendid one to beholdmcuddy1 is a splendid one to beholdmcuddy1 is a splendid one to beholdmcuddy1 is a splendid one to beholdmcuddy1 is a splendid one to beholdmcuddy1 is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by lapsed kiwi
Probably a tank of diesel for your car and a week's worth or ready meals from Tesco
Ah yes I could purchase a nice diesel car for a decent price and drive down to Tesco to enjoy the variety of goods on sale there.

But alas I am in NZ, will have to stop dreaming and pay over inflated prices for substandard goods with limited a choice. Well I do suppose they have a captive audience.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.