British Cheques

Old Jun 28th 2007, 2:15 pm
Forum Regular

Nisey has a brilliant futureNisey has a brilliant futureNisey has a brilliant futureNisey has a brilliant futureNisey has a brilliant futureNisey has a brilliant futureNisey has a brilliant future
Default British Cheques

Can anyone advise, we are going to close are accounts here, and whilst we have applied for various refunds and rebates not all will arrive in time to clear through our account before we close it.

Are you able to put these into a NZ account when you get there?
Old Jun 28th 2007, 2:38 pm
BE Enthusiast

julesnye is a splendid one to beholdjulesnye is a splendid one to beholdjulesnye is a splendid one to beholdjulesnye is a splendid one to beholdjulesnye is a splendid one to beholdjulesnye is a splendid one to beholdjulesnye is a splendid one to beholdjulesnye is a splendid one to beholdjulesnye is a splendid one to beholdjulesnye is a splendid one to beholdjulesnye is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: British Cheques

could you not open a nationwide account and get someone in the family to put them into it and then you can withdraw the cash at $800 per day at no charge when your there?
Old Jun 28th 2007, 3:16 pm
Forum Regular

Nisey has a brilliant futureNisey has a brilliant futureNisey has a brilliant futureNisey has a brilliant futureNisey has a brilliant futureNisey has a brilliant futureNisey has a brilliant future

Do they have nationwide in NZ??
Old Jun 28th 2007, 8:25 pm
BE Forum Addict

Woodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Nisey
Can anyone advise, we are going to close are accounts here, and whilst we have applied for various refunds and rebates not all will arrive in time to clear through our account before we close it.

Are you able to put these into a NZ account when you get there?
YES you can
Old Jun 28th 2007, 10:45 pm
Forum Regular

dicknlyn is just really nicedicknlyn is just really nicedicknlyn is just really nicedicknlyn is just really nicedicknlyn is just really nicedicknlyn is just really nicedicknlyn is just really nicedicknlyn is just really nicedicknlyn is just really nice

Originally Posted by Nisey
Do they have nationwide in NZ??
No, but any hole in the wall accepting Cirrus transactions will give you access to your Nationwide account and you can withdraw dosh! Furthermore the $800 a day limit can be by-passed by using two different ATM's

It may sound daft (especially as I'm charged for paying in) but I use the ATM outside my bank to draw out cash from the Nationwide in the UK, and then walk in to the bank and pay it straight in to my cheque account.

Roll on the day that internet banking allows you to transfer from foreign (UK) accounts to NZ ones.

Last edited by dicknlyn; Jun 28th 2007 at 10:48 pm.
Old Jun 29th 2007, 1:47 am
NZ ways is best ways :0)

Wiz'n'Ton has a reputation beyond reputeWiz'n'Ton has a reputation beyond reputeWiz'n'Ton has a reputation beyond reputeWiz'n'Ton has a reputation beyond reputeWiz'n'Ton has a reputation beyond reputeWiz'n'Ton has a reputation beyond reputeWiz'n'Ton has a reputation beyond reputeWiz'n'Ton has a reputation beyond reputeWiz'n'Ton has a reputation beyond reputeWiz'n'Ton has a reputation beyond reputeWiz'n'Ton has a reputation beyond repute

We didn't closed our UK accounts - and a good job too as we've since had loads of unforseen bits and pieces to sort out that would have been really tricky to do if we'd have not had a UK acct. Plus it has internet banking access so that we can monitor it all from here.

I'd advise keeping just one to help out with this type of thing.
Old Jun 29th 2007, 4:16 am
Forum Regular

Liz & Co has much to be proud ofLiz & Co has much to be proud ofLiz & Co has much to be proud ofLiz & Co has much to be proud ofLiz & Co has much to be proud ofLiz & Co has much to be proud ofLiz & Co has much to be proud ofLiz & Co has much to be proud ofLiz & Co has much to be proud ofLiz & Co has much to be proud ofLiz & Co has much to be proud of

We have a foreign currency account at Band of New Zealand to pay in UK cheques. We just transfer to our NZ$ account when needed.

Liz & Co
Old Jun 29th 2007, 5:32 am
BE Enthusiast

planty has a reputation beyond reputeplanty has a reputation beyond reputeplanty has a reputation beyond reputeplanty has a reputation beyond reputeplanty has a reputation beyond reputeplanty has a reputation beyond reputeplanty has a reputation beyond reputeplanty has a reputation beyond reputeplanty has a reputation beyond reputeplanty has a reputation beyond reputeplanty has a reputation beyond repute

Definatley with Wiz on that one, I don't know your circumstances, but if you have children, the child benifit and tax credits people will probably want some money back.
We told them all and told them when we were leaving and they still asked for money back. It was a good job we left some money in our account and brought our cheque book.
There where other things that insisted we still owed the odd 10 to 20 quid even though we had informed them.
On the plus side we had over paid on the council tax and the car insurance so they just paid it straight back into our account.
At the moment we're still paying our monthly life insurance from the UK bank, and we have internet access so we can see over things.

Last edited by planty; Jun 29th 2007 at 5:33 am. Reason: typo
Old Jun 29th 2007, 10:55 am
you dewty owld maan!

lardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dicknlyn
No, but any hole in the wall accepting Cirrus transactions will give you access to your Nationwide account and you can withdraw dosh! Furthermore the $800 a day limit can be by-passed by using two different ATM's

It may sound daft (especially as I'm charged for paying in) but I use the ATM outside my bank to draw out cash from the Nationwide in the UK, and then walk in to the bank and pay it straight in to my cheque account.

Roll on the day that internet banking allows you to transfer from foreign (UK) accounts to NZ ones.
just make sure you get the Nationwide internet access up before you leave as they paperwork they send to you in order to complete the set-up does not get redirected even if you have Royal Mail service in place - I thought it would be OK to set up internet banking and get the password off our UK office after we got here - it was not to be. Good Luck! LL