Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

British Army to NZ Army

British Army to NZ Army

Old Oct 18th 2015, 9:38 am
Just Joined

wtgp is an unknown quantity at this point
Default British Army to NZ Army

Hi guys, is there anyone out there who's made the switch between the British Army and the NZ Army. I've known a few chaps that made the move to Oz but after research NZ seems more my thing. I'm 28, married and we have 2 young kids. Currently a Sargent in Royal Corps of Signals after 9 years and am looking into making the move. Started the application a few months ago and have been to a careers briefing from the NZ recruiters but they never paint the full picture with things.
I'm aware that costs for the move are self funded and pricey.

Any info on anything regarding a move like this would be hoofing. Cheers
Old Oct 18th 2015, 9:44 pm
Forum Regular

Pigdog has much to be proud ofPigdog has much to be proud ofPigdog has much to be proud ofPigdog has much to be proud ofPigdog has much to be proud ofPigdog has much to be proud ofPigdog has much to be proud ofPigdog has much to be proud ofPigdog has much to be proud ofPigdog has much to be proud ofPigdog has much to be proud of
Default Re: British Army to NZ Army

Hello, not Army but found this website, it could help

defencecareers.mil.nz

There is an overseas section, I can't do the link as I'm crap with computers !!!! Can help with cost of moving.

Good luck.
Old Oct 18th 2015, 9:52 pm

Location: Wellington - I miss Castles, the NHS & English school system
MrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond repute

you need to be looking here: Overseas Applicants | Defence Careers

and check out the "roles: section on the left to if you have the skills for any of the current requirements to make the move.

HTH
Old Oct 19th 2015, 12:31 am

Snap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond repute

You will have to cease your employment with the British Army and start your employment with the NZ Army, it's not a transfer or a redeployment or a secondment. It is usual, if my understanding is correct, that you will have to drop a rank and therefore put up with the drop in pay. This is a tri-service thing.

You can be promoted to a better pay scale or rank after a period of time and/or certain criteria are met.

I had a conversation with a military man in Auckland albeit he worked in the Royal Navy. He now works for the RNZN at a lower rank than he had in Britain but he remarked that after he has done a bit more work i.e. training course and time served he will get back to his old rank and old pay scale.

There was a working boats show in Auckland harbour last year, I had boarded a RNZN boat as we were visiting Auckland and had our nieces with us.

Last edited by Snap Shot; Oct 19th 2015 at 12:36 am. Reason: Frigate/Destroyer um, dunno
Old Oct 19th 2015, 5:37 am
Forum Regular

nikkijane88 has a reputation beyond reputenikkijane88 has a reputation beyond reputenikkijane88 has a reputation beyond reputenikkijane88 has a reputation beyond reputenikkijane88 has a reputation beyond reputenikkijane88 has a reputation beyond reputenikkijane88 has a reputation beyond reputenikkijane88 has a reputation beyond reputenikkijane88 has a reputation beyond reputenikkijane88 has a reputation beyond reputenikkijane88 has a reputation beyond repute

Hi wtgp

As you have stated you have already applied, the above links are irrelevant as you will have already done this.

My husband went from RAF to the RNZAF. Happy to give you any information that could be of help. Obviously I'm not too sure exactly where in the process you are, but once you have an interview you hopefully get an offer of service. This is what you need to apply for your residency visa. Not as daunting as it seems, just a lot of paperwork!

Our move had to be funded by ourselves but it can be looked at by them, as I said we are Air Force so there could be some differences, we did get all our medical costs back!
Old Oct 19th 2015, 2:25 pm
BE Enthusiast

Hazelnut has a reputation beyond reputeHazelnut has a reputation beyond reputeHazelnut has a reputation beyond reputeHazelnut has a reputation beyond reputeHazelnut has a reputation beyond reputeHazelnut has a reputation beyond reputeHazelnut has a reputation beyond reputeHazelnut has a reputation beyond reputeHazelnut has a reputation beyond reputeHazelnut has a reputation beyond reputeHazelnut has a reputation beyond repute

If you've used military housing in the UK you might want to check what the availability of that is with the NZ army.
Old Oct 19th 2015, 5:02 pm
Forum Regular

JaneRiley has a reputation beyond reputeJaneRiley has a reputation beyond reputeJaneRiley has a reputation beyond reputeJaneRiley has a reputation beyond reputeJaneRiley has a reputation beyond reputeJaneRiley has a reputation beyond reputeJaneRiley has a reputation beyond reputeJaneRiley has a reputation beyond reputeJaneRiley has a reputation beyond reputeJaneRiley has a reputation beyond reputeJaneRiley has a reputation beyond repute

Didn't you ask all this a couple of months ago? I remember replying. NZ staff at New Zealand House in London (where interviews are held) should be able to answer your queries. Good luck.
Old Jan 20th 2016, 10:17 pm
Just Joined

chriskillick is an unknown quantity at this point

I have just started this process, you will have to let me know how it progresses, or if you could offer advice along the way, that would be appreciated.
Old Jan 24th 2016, 8:51 pm
Forum Regular

john_hepburn is a splendid one to beholdjohn_hepburn is a splendid one to beholdjohn_hepburn is a splendid one to beholdjohn_hepburn is a splendid one to beholdjohn_hepburn is a splendid one to beholdjohn_hepburn is a splendid one to beholdjohn_hepburn is a splendid one to beholdjohn_hepburn is a splendid one to beholdjohn_hepburn is a splendid one to beholdjohn_hepburn is a splendid one to beholdjohn_hepburn is a splendid one to behold

But the big questions are, will the NZ horror bags contain frozen D shapes and Panda Pop? Will there be much getting on/off buses?