Bonjour

Old Jul 16th 2007, 3:41 pm
Just Joined

arthursmith is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Bonjour

hello from us,

we are Arthur and Elaine Smith, and we have just discovered this site. Originally from the north of England, we currently live in France, hence the bonjour, and have been renovating an old farmhouse for 2 years.

we had intended to stay here for a while, in fact we have set up a business, but we've started looking again !

the language here is a problem, at 47 & 49 we're maybe getting on a bit to study as hard as we should, but the people here have been really friendly.

as we talked about a move, we decided that it would be easier if English was the main language of whatever place we end up. also, we live in the 'french lake district', which is very similar to where we lived in the UK, so maybe a move to NZ would not be too dis-similar.

now, loads of questions, sorry.

i am a wall and floor tiler ( c&g ) who fits kitchens and bathrooms, and Elaine is an Interior designer / seamstress. are these professions of any value in NZ ?

we've filled in the online work permit questionnaire, and are awaiting a call back !

i know we shouldn't be too phased by a move as we've done it before, but the more you can learn, the easier it is.

if there are any websites etc that have been of use to any of you who made the move, we would love to know about them ( it saves having to google everything ).

anyway, rambled on enough, thanks for reading.

arthur
Old Jul 16th 2007, 6:16 pm

happynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nice
Default Re: Bonjour

Bonjour Arthur,

The sewing factory where my wife works is always short of workers. It must be because of the appalling low wage. However, they are able to get their workers a work permit, in this case your wife would be the principle applicant and you'd get the open work permit to work for whomever you choose. With both of you working you'd have more points on your EOI and stand a better chance of selection. The other advantage of coming in on a temporary work permit is that if New Zealand doesn't fit the bill, you wouldn't be put out that much.

Good luck with your decisions.
Old Jul 16th 2007, 8:37 pm
P2L
BE Forum Addict

P2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond repute

Morning Arthur.

I notice you say that you're a tiler. Have you looked on here yet??

www.seek.co.nz
www.trademe.co.nz

They are both great places for finding work.

This will help with house prices

www.realestate.co.nz
www.allrealestate.co.nz

Have you looked at immigration??

www.nzis.govt.nz

A few others, for a variety of reasons are
www.wises.co.nz
www.metservice.co.nz
www.nzherald.co.nz

And of course, we are awash with info of all kinds here

Also, if you can, ( need to have 5 postings) PM BEVShere. She's in Nelson, top of South Island & I know she's helping someone who is a tiler with their residency application at the moment.

To be honest, I don't think you'll have too many problems finding work here.

HTH
sarah
Old Jul 16th 2007, 10:38 pm
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

Salut ! et bienvenue

France was our first thought when we were looking to move away from the UK. It was a very easy commute from Bournemouth, my home town. We even did a couple of reccys to check property out. Thing that concerned us in the end was that my dyslexic plumber husband had absolutely no french language apart from 'une baguette' , 'un biere blanc' and the word 'plombier'.

Totally understand about the studying thing. Phils 47 and I have tipped over the 50 [ How did that one happen. I'm still late 30's in my head ]

If you are looking for similar to the UK and French lakes districts , then you should be looking to come to the South Island really.

As a wall and floor tiler , you should be able to find work without too much problem.
The experience in bathroom and kitchen fitting could be beneficial .
My first thought about your type of work experience is that you would be working on new-build houses for a builder.

Flooring tradesman is on the NZIS Immediate Shortage list. Can you fit other types of flooring?

To visit New Zealand you simply need a visitors visa. The type that is stamped into your passport when you come here on holiday.

To work here, you must have an offer of a job first and then you apply for the work visa.
One of you wil be the 'principle' applicant and will be tied to your NZ employer. The other would be granted an open work permit to work wherever and at whatever they wish.

Whether you chuck it all up in the air and simply arrive on a visitors visa , find a job, and then apply for a work permit to enable you to live and work here is up to you. It's certainly easier to find work if you are already in the country.

we've filled in the online work permit questionnaire, and are awaiting a call back !
Point me in the direction of this please. Thanks.