Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Is the big one approaching?

Is the big one approaching?

Old Apr 27th 2009, 4:17 am
Forum Regular

MrCFD has a brilliant futureMrCFD has a brilliant futureMrCFD has a brilliant futureMrCFD has a brilliant futureMrCFD has a brilliant futureMrCFD has a brilliant future
Default Is the big one approaching?

Earthquake activity has quietened in the last few weeks going from 4.5-5.0 quakes regularly to 2.5-3.5 quakes with fewer being reported on Geonet (apart from near White Island). Could this be the calm before the storm or the first signs of the big one coming???

If you're interested, the geonet website is:
http://www.geonet.org.nz/index.html

Old Apr 27th 2009, 4:30 am
Just Joined

wellyaidan is just really nicewellyaidan is just really nicewellyaidan is just really nicewellyaidan is just really nicewellyaidan is just really nicewellyaidan is just really nicewellyaidan is just really nicewellyaidan is just really nice
Default Re: Is the big one approaching?

She's just having a bit of a rest. No worries! (alternately, strap on your seat belt and here we go!)
Old Apr 27th 2009, 4:40 am

love30stm is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by MrCFD
Earthquake activity has quietened in the last few weeks going from 4.5-5.0 quakes regularly to 2.5-3.5 quakes with fewer being reported on Geonet (apart from near White Island). Could this be the calm before the storm or the first signs of the big one coming???

Thanks for that but at least the earth would have moved for me lately
Old Apr 27th 2009, 5:11 am
Truth is the safest lie.

Charismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond repute
Wink Re: Is the big one approaching?

If we could predict that we'd be rich, rich beyond our wildest dreams!

Best be prepared but I wouldn't start panicking just yet. Anyone got a majic 8 ball handy to ask?
Old Apr 27th 2009, 5:44 am
Forum Regular

MrCFD has a brilliant futureMrCFD has a brilliant futureMrCFD has a brilliant futureMrCFD has a brilliant futureMrCFD has a brilliant futureMrCFD has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by Charismatic

Best be prepared but I wouldn't start panicking just yet. Anyone got a majic 8 ball handy to ask?
Done - magic eight ball says that we're all going to die!
Old Apr 27th 2009, 6:22 am
Forum Regular

Trenchfoot is a name known to allTrenchfoot is a name known to allTrenchfoot is a name known to allTrenchfoot is a name known to allTrenchfoot is a name known to allTrenchfoot is a name known to allTrenchfoot is a name known to allTrenchfoot is a name known to allTrenchfoot is a name known to allTrenchfoot is a name known to allTrenchfoot is a name known to all

Knowing my luck I'll just have recovered from the swine fever when the quake hits.
Old Apr 27th 2009, 6:27 am

love30stm is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Trenchfoot
Knowing my luck I'll just have recovered from the swine fever when the quake hits.
is swine fever confined to guys!
Old Apr 27th 2009, 6:53 am
Forum Regular

keeny has much to be proud ofkeeny has much to be proud ofkeeny has much to be proud ofkeeny has much to be proud ofkeeny has much to be proud ofkeeny has much to be proud ofkeeny has much to be proud ofkeeny has much to be proud ofkeeny has much to be proud ofkeeny has much to be proud ofkeeny has much to be proud of

please dont make me think about this! So IF we get allowed into NZ after the swine flu thingy (our flight is due to land 14th June) we then might get struck by a massive earthquake.... LOVELY! and our baby girl is due to arrive probably in the middle of all this.
Old Apr 27th 2009, 7:36 am
Forum Regular

Trenchfoot is a name known to allTrenchfoot is a name known to allTrenchfoot is a name known to allTrenchfoot is a name known to allTrenchfoot is a name known to allTrenchfoot is a name known to allTrenchfoot is a name known to allTrenchfoot is a name known to allTrenchfoot is a name known to allTrenchfoot is a name known to allTrenchfoot is a name known to all

Originally Posted by keeny
please dont make me think about this! So IF we get allowed into NZ after the swine flu thingy (our flight is due to land 14th June) we then might get struck by a massive earthquake.... LOVELY! and our baby girl is due to arrive probably in the middle of all this.

With thanks to Team-Reynolds who posted this a while back...

“Sometimes it does us a power of good to remind ourselves that we live on two volcanic rocks where two tectonic plates meet, in a somewhat lonely stretch of windswept ocean just above the roaring forties. If you want drama – you’ve come to the right place”
Old Apr 27th 2009, 7:55 am
BE Enthusiast

Browner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond repute

Actually, there was a very big earthquake off the coast of NZ yesterday (6.1) which had the potential for a tsunami, but you never even heard about it did you?

http://www.stuff.co.nz/national/2364...off-East-Coast
Old Apr 27th 2009, 8:23 am
BE Enthusiast

janek is a splendid one to beholdjanek is a splendid one to beholdjanek is a splendid one to beholdjanek is a splendid one to beholdjanek is a splendid one to beholdjanek is a splendid one to beholdjanek is a splendid one to beholdjanek is a splendid one to beholdjanek is a splendid one to beholdjanek is a splendid one to beholdjanek is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Browner_
Actually, there was a very big earthquake off the coast of NZ yesterday (6.1) which had the potential for a tsunami, but you never even heard about it did you?

no I didn't, that's why I need you to inform [and entertain] me of these ground-breaking [pun intended] stories, thanks Browner, I no longer have my head in the sand....
Old Apr 27th 2009, 9:44 am
Forum Regular

If it's not on geonet, I don't want to know about it!
Old Apr 27th 2009, 8:49 pm
Truth is the safest lie.

Charismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: Is the big one approaching?

I'm left in no doubt that all those school kids who do civil defence will save us when "the big one" hits .

What always strikes me is that the public are actually quite bad at risk assessment when it comes to being killed until dead.
Old Apr 27th 2009, 8:56 pm
Forum Regular

Jo_Paul87 is just really niceJo_Paul87 is just really niceJo_Paul87 is just really niceJo_Paul87 is just really niceJo_Paul87 is just really niceJo_Paul87 is just really niceJo_Paul87 is just really niceJo_Paul87 is just really nice

Originally Posted by MrCFD

And to think all I was worried about was the hours of daylight!
Old Apr 28th 2009, 10:26 pm
Happy in Wellington

RobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond repute

We're all dooooooomed!!

Or not.

If we choose to live on the Ring of Fire, we take that risk.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.