Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Is the big one approaching?

Is the big one approaching?

Old Apr 29th 2009, 7:51 am
Forum Regular

Mgee has a reputation beyond reputeMgee has a reputation beyond reputeMgee has a reputation beyond reputeMgee has a reputation beyond reputeMgee has a reputation beyond reputeMgee has a reputation beyond reputeMgee has a reputation beyond reputeMgee has a reputation beyond reputeMgee has a reputation beyond reputeMgee has a reputation beyond reputeMgee has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Is the big one approaching?

Originally Posted by Jo_Paul87
And to think all I was worried about was the hours of daylight!
For me as a Finn, the risk of an earthquake is a bargain compared to 4-5months of virtually no daylight! Luckily we've got 2 rubble -trained s&r dogs that I trust to come and save me if the big one hits.. After all, Mummy first, the rest of you can wait!
Old Apr 30th 2009, 11:31 am
BE Enthusiast

julesnye is a splendid one to beholdjulesnye is a splendid one to beholdjulesnye is a splendid one to beholdjulesnye is a splendid one to beholdjulesnye is a splendid one to beholdjulesnye is a splendid one to beholdjulesnye is a splendid one to beholdjulesnye is a splendid one to beholdjulesnye is a splendid one to beholdjulesnye is a splendid one to beholdjulesnye is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by love30stm
is swine fever confined to guys!
no that's Cad fever
Old Apr 30th 2009, 11:35 am
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

Originally Posted by RobClubley
We're all dooooooomed!!

Or not.

If we choose to live on the Ring of Fire, we take that risk.
Agreed.

They're not called the Shakey Isles for nothing.

...did anyone mention the Wain recently?
Old May 1st 2009, 12:28 am
Forum Regular

MrCFD has a brilliant futureMrCFD has a brilliant futureMrCFD has a brilliant futureMrCFD has a brilliant futureMrCFD has a brilliant futureMrCFD has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by Charismatic
What always strikes me is that the public are actually quite bad at risk assessment when it comes to being killed until dead.
Are they quite good at risk assessment once dead?
Old May 1st 2009, 3:17 am
Truth is the safest lie.

Charismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: Is the big one approaching?

Originally Posted by MrCFD
Are they quite good at risk assessment once dead?
"On a long enough timeline, the survival rate for everyone drops to zero" - Fight club.
Old May 1st 2009, 5:53 am
Forum Regular

MrCFD has a brilliant futureMrCFD has a brilliant futureMrCFD has a brilliant futureMrCFD has a brilliant futureMrCFD has a brilliant futureMrCFD has a brilliant future

The original poster is a god! oh wait, that's me.

I was in Whitby (Wellington) about half an hour ago and it may not have been the big one, but it was big enough to knock things around considerably. I almost lost my footing. 4.1 on the Richter, short and sharp with a tiny aftershock.

Who knows, maybe this has relieved some of the tension, or maybe the big one is still coming?!?

Reference Number 3084351/G
Universal Time May 1 2009 at 5:16
NZ Standard Time Friday, May 1 2009 at 5:16 pm
Latitude, Longitude 41.19°S, 174.81°E
Focal Depth 30 km
Richter magnitude 4.1
Region Wellington
* 10 km south of Porirua
* 10 km west of Lower Hutt
* 10 km north of Wellington
Old May 4th 2009, 12:48 am
Truth is the safest lie.

Charismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: Is the big one approaching?

I was in Whitby (Wellington) about half an hour ago...
OMG, but was it the yuppy side (nautical names) or the poor end?
Old May 4th 2009, 1:14 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Charismatic
OMG, but was it the yuppy side (nautical names) or the poor end?
Just off Navigation (so yes, the nautical yuppy side!)
Old May 4th 2009, 4:29 am
Truth is the safest lie.

Wink Re: Is the big one approaching?

Just off Navigation (so yes, the nautical yuppy side!)
We almost lived next door, I used to live in a house at the far end of Lanyon place (the one with the stupid sign that calls it "Admiralty cove").

A warning: If you say you've bought a boat I will have to kill you.