Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

best way to get job offer

best way to get job offer

Old Jun 25th 2009, 12:18 pm
Forum Regular

sukilou78 is just really nicesukilou78 is just really nicesukilou78 is just really nicesukilou78 is just really nicesukilou78 is just really nicesukilou78 is just really nicesukilou78 is just really nicesukilou78 is just really nice
Default best way to get job offer

my oh is looking for a job offer at the moment.

we have been using all of the websites and have spoken to a few agencies.

but can anybody on here give us some tips or hints that we might be missing.

we need the job offer to get enough points because they took points off us because of me faffing up the eoi form.

He is an engineer and we obviously have to follow the appendices and ansco so we are looking at trade jobs/ production engineer/maintenance planner.

Thanks peeps
Old Jun 25th 2009, 1:36 pm
Forum Regular

LiffyB is a glorious beacon of lightLiffyB is a glorious beacon of lightLiffyB is a glorious beacon of lightLiffyB is a glorious beacon of lightLiffyB is a glorious beacon of lightLiffyB is a glorious beacon of lightLiffyB is a glorious beacon of lightLiffyB is a glorious beacon of lightLiffyB is a glorious beacon of lightLiffyB is a glorious beacon of lightLiffyB is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: best way to get job offer

We have found that employers and agencies aren't particulalry interested unless you are 'on the ground' so to speak. I know that this hasn't been the case for some people - so you may fall in lucky with an employer who is willing to wait for you to hightail it to NZ. We have taken the plunge and will be going over for a reccie in August with options that we don't have to come back if one of us gets offered a position.

Good Luck!
Old Jun 25th 2009, 3:41 pm
BE Enthusiast

Jo-Chris is a glorious beacon of lightJo-Chris is a glorious beacon of lightJo-Chris is a glorious beacon of lightJo-Chris is a glorious beacon of lightJo-Chris is a glorious beacon of lightJo-Chris is a glorious beacon of lightJo-Chris is a glorious beacon of lightJo-Chris is a glorious beacon of lightJo-Chris is a glorious beacon of lightJo-Chris is a glorious beacon of lightJo-Chris is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by LiffyB
We have found that employers and agencies aren't particulalry interested unless you are 'on the ground' so to speak. I know that this hasn't been the case for some people - so you may fall in lucky with an employer who is willing to wait for you to hightail it to NZ. We have taken the plunge and will be going over for a reccie in August with options that we don't have to come back if one of us gets offered a position.

Good Luck!
Hi,

We are struggling to get a job offer even though we have PR! However I do think its what industry you are in. I keep hearing "your CV is great but as your not here blah blah blah....." Contact as many companies as you can and explain your situation and good luck Im sure there is a job out there!!!!
Old Jun 25th 2009, 5:47 pm
Account Closed

zetland is an unknown quantity at this point

Regarding PR visa - is that it once you have it? Can you live in NZ whenever you want or is there a minimum period you have to stay or terms and conditions to it in order for it to remain valid?
Sorry, I know I could just look it up, but all these experts here on BEP it's too easy to get answers! Thanks,
Z
Old Jun 26th 2009, 11:57 am
Forum Regular

sukilou78 is just really nicesukilou78 is just really nicesukilou78 is just really nicesukilou78 is just really nicesukilou78 is just really nicesukilou78 is just really nicesukilou78 is just really nicesukilou78 is just really nice

I'm no expert, thats for sure my hat goes off to the people onhere who are.

I think you are right in what you are saying
once you gain PR you are then free, some people do get a clause on their visa to stay in the job for 3 months. but their is no telling if you are going to get this until you get your blue stickers

anyone please correct me if i'm wrong
Old Jun 26th 2009, 6:07 pm
BE Enthusiast

Jo-Chris is a glorious beacon of lightJo-Chris is a glorious beacon of lightJo-Chris is a glorious beacon of lightJo-Chris is a glorious beacon of lightJo-Chris is a glorious beacon of lightJo-Chris is a glorious beacon of lightJo-Chris is a glorious beacon of lightJo-Chris is a glorious beacon of lightJo-Chris is a glorious beacon of lightJo-Chris is a glorious beacon of lightJo-Chris is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by zetland
Regarding PR visa - is that it once you have it? Can you live in NZ whenever you want or is there a minimum period you have to stay or terms and conditions to it in order for it to remain valid?
Sorry, I know I could just look it up, but all these experts here on BEP it's too easy to get answers! Thanks,
Z
Yes we have permanent residency visas so we have gone through the immigration process!! We were lucky enough to get our visas without a job offer, but we are now trying to get jobs beofre the move!!
Old Jun 26th 2009, 6:19 pm
Just Joined

sam423 is an unknown quantity at this point

How did u get PR without a job offer
Old Jun 26th 2009, 6:27 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by sam423
Hi,
Well....I think our age helped both under 30 both have degrees OH has qualification in skilled shortage area, been to NZ previously on a working holiday visa, work experience and have family (aunt and uncle and cousins in NZ) out there we had 120 points for the eoi! It was a long ole wait for the desicion without a job offer though!

Hope this helps!

J x
Old Jun 27th 2009, 5:15 am
Live from CHCH...

Matewx has a reputation beyond reputeMatewx has a reputation beyond reputeMatewx has a reputation beyond reputeMatewx has a reputation beyond reputeMatewx has a reputation beyond reputeMatewx has a reputation beyond reputeMatewx has a reputation beyond reputeMatewx has a reputation beyond reputeMatewx has a reputation beyond reputeMatewx has a reputation beyond reputeMatewx has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sukilou78
my oh is looking for a job offer at the moment.

we have been using all of the websites and have spoken to a few agencies.

but can anybody on here give us some tips or hints that we might be missing.

we need the job offer to get enough points because they took points off us because of me faffing up the eoi form.

He is an engineer and we obviously have to follow the appendices and ansco so we are looking at trade jobs/ production engineer/maintenance planner.

Thanks peeps
OH is an engineer too and without my work visa (which gave him his unrestricted work visa..) he would never have been considered...
He is due to arrive mid-July and even now he has an arrival date (give or take a few days) and rights to work in the country we are finding it hard to find prospective employers.
One recruitment agent who all along kept saying your CV's great blablablalbla just said I may have a job but immediate start. Can you arrive asap?
Tough market atm i'd say...
Old Jun 27th 2009, 5:47 am
Queen of the Underworld

Persephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Sukilou,
Not sure if I can help. I came over here and sent out my CV to all the prospective employers in the area. Had a few chats/interviews [though these are usually fairly informal in my profession] and got offered one job. I had sent a covering letter stating that I couldn't start for 4m and so didn't necessarily expect any offers as that is a long time to wait in a small business! I would have been wary of accepting a job without seeing the place anyway as there is quite a variety within my job.
All the best with the job hunt. Hope something comes up

zetland
Yes if you get PR then once you are in, you are in. You have to activate the visa within 12m of it being issued ie enter NZ. You can then stay permanently, you receive a residency permit on arrival. Only thing is your permit will expire once you leave NZ so you always need a current Returning Residents Visa to be able to re enter NZ as a resident. Or never go abroad You get a 2 year RRV when you receive the residency visa which may then be turned into an Indefinite RRV after 2y [depending on circumstances]
Sukilou is right, if you apply with a job offer then there will be conditions attached to your visa. You have to work in that job for 3m to remove this clause.
sam423
I had 130points and no job offer. You need enough points. Once you have sent in your ITA then you get PR or WTR. Occupational registration is important and if you need it but don't or more usually can't get it then you will get WTR rather than PR. Other than that if everything is in order, you will have a telephone interview about your ability to settle in NZ,job hunting, preparedness for immigration etc and if NZIS are satisfied you can be granted PR