Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Best way to get back to NZ?

Best way to get back to NZ?

Old Aug 15th 2010, 11:07 am
Forum Regular

Kentish Lass is a name known to allKentish Lass is a name known to allKentish Lass is a name known to allKentish Lass is a name known to allKentish Lass is a name known to allKentish Lass is a name known to allKentish Lass is a name known to allKentish Lass is a name known to allKentish Lass is a name known to allKentish Lass is a name known to allKentish Lass is a name known to all
Default Best way to get back to NZ?

The House of Travel had flights to the UK for $875 but as the return flight was a lot more I thought I would be clever and buy one-way tickets for myself and my 14yr old daughter. We have PR and returning visas, so that's okay. Another reason for this is that I wanted to bring my Mum back with us for a holiday as at 82 I know she won't make the trip on her own.Now she is making a lot of exuses and I doubt that I can persuade her to come with us. I've started to look up return flights and missed out on some for 420 pound with sta travel because Mum was dithering. Now the prices are quite high. Is it best to wait until we're there? It seems that the best deals are by phone only. What about 'bucket' shops..anyone used these and where are they?
I think my OH is a bit worried that I've only got one-way...
My daughter, by the way is getting very excited about going. She was only 7yrs when we left the UK and it will be her first trip back. (I do suspect that it's the shopping she's looking forward to more than seeing the rellies with all the "ahh hasn't she grown etc.etc.")
Old Aug 15th 2010, 1:08 pm
MnB

MnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Best way to get back to NZ?

Originally Posted by Kentish Lass
The House of Travel had flights to the UK for $875 but as the return flight was a lot more I thought I would be clever and buy one-way tickets for myself and my 14yr old daughter. We have PR and returning visas, so that's okay. Another reason for this is that I wanted to bring my Mum back with us for a holiday as at 82 I know she won't make the trip on her own.Now she is making a lot of exuses and I doubt that I can persuade her to come with us. I've started to look up return flights and missed out on some for 420 pound with sta travel because Mum was dithering. Now the prices are quite high. Is it best to wait until we're there? It seems that the best deals are by phone only. What about 'bucket' shops..anyone used these and where are they?
I think my OH is a bit worried that I've only got one-way...
My daughter, by the way is getting very excited about going. She was only 7yrs when we left the UK and it will be her first trip back. (I do suspect that it's the shopping she's looking forward to more than seeing the rellies with all the "ahh hasn't she grown etc.etc.")
You could try travelsupermarket.com; skyscanner.net; kayack.co.uk; travelbag.co.uk and airlines own websites for prices, some have online booking facility.
HTH B x
Old Aug 15th 2010, 6:57 pm
BE Forum Addict

Jan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond repute

Funnily enough we were having this exact same conversation last night

So, can I get this right for our use too please: with RRV, is it OK to take a one way flight out of NZ, say to the UK, and then buy the one way ticket back to NZ from the UK (maybe online as was said) in english pounds, to get a cheaper deal - which it probably will be

Cheers
Jan
Old Aug 15th 2010, 7:05 pm
BE Forum Addict

lapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jan n Neil
Funnily enough we were having this exact same conversation last night

So, can I get this right for our use too please: with RRV, is it OK to take a one way flight out of NZ, say to the UK, and then buy the one way ticket back to NZ from the UK (maybe online as was said) in english pounds, to get a cheaper deal - which it probably will be

Cheers
Jan
No problem with that - you are a permanent resident of UK and NZ, so don't need to have onward travel arrangements from either place.

Not sure if it's any cheaper, especially as you can book flights on the expedia.co.uk website from anywhere in the world.
Old Aug 15th 2010, 8:08 pm
Forum Regular

Kentish Lass is a name known to allKentish Lass is a name known to allKentish Lass is a name known to allKentish Lass is a name known to allKentish Lass is a name known to allKentish Lass is a name known to allKentish Lass is a name known to allKentish Lass is a name known to allKentish Lass is a name known to allKentish Lass is a name known to allKentish Lass is a name known to all

I've heard of people getting returns from UK for around 500pound so I (wrongly?) assumed that a single from there would be just over half that.
sta travel have returns from just over 700 pound but a single is about the same...
Thought perhaps get a return but it seems you have to use the return by the beginning of next July. Can't afford to go back again that quick. Even with flights paid there are the other expenses.
Old Aug 15th 2010, 9:35 pm
MnB

MnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond repute

doesn't make sense does it?! single almost costs as much as a return.....have heard of people buying a return ticket then converting unused part to a trip to Aus......not sure if thats very cost effective though
Old Aug 16th 2010, 3:03 am
Forum Regular

Thanks MnB...the travelsupermarket is definiately a good one to check out.

I'm open for a return date except as I get nearer I get to Christmas then the price really starts to shoot up. Also a month is the longest I want my daughter to be out of school.
Old Aug 19th 2010, 3:14 am
Just Joined

toddm is an unknown quantity at this point

Well a little off topic.. but the 'best' way we discovered was a cruise.... we were going to fly London -> Vancouver... and then board a 40 day cruise down the west coast of the US, across to Hawaii, and then down through various Pacific Islands... before arriving in Auckland.. sigh that would have been nice.. but time conspired against us. Wasnt that expensive either as it was a 'repositioning' voyage.
Old Aug 19th 2010, 3:19 am
Forum Regular

Never heard of a 'repositioning' trip. You must regret not having done this...sounds fantastic!
Old Aug 19th 2010, 3:30 am
Forum Regular

Oh... I suppose I should have asked for the cheapest way back rather than the best..
Old Aug 20th 2010, 7:36 am
Forum Regular

PHONEJUNKY is a splendid one to beholdPHONEJUNKY is a splendid one to beholdPHONEJUNKY is a splendid one to beholdPHONEJUNKY is a splendid one to beholdPHONEJUNKY is a splendid one to beholdPHONEJUNKY is a splendid one to beholdPHONEJUNKY is a splendid one to beholdPHONEJUNKY is a splendid one to beholdPHONEJUNKY is a splendid one to beholdPHONEJUNKY is a splendid one to beholdPHONEJUNKY is a splendid one to behold

TRY
WWW.NETFLIGHTS.COM

GOOD LUCK
Old Aug 20th 2010, 1:49 pm
BE Enthusiast

londonescapee is a glorious beacon of lightlondonescapee is a glorious beacon of lightlondonescapee is a glorious beacon of lightlondonescapee is a glorious beacon of lightlondonescapee is a glorious beacon of lightlondonescapee is a glorious beacon of lightlondonescapee is a glorious beacon of lightlondonescapee is a glorious beacon of lightlondonescapee is a glorious beacon of lightlondonescapee is a glorious beacon of lightlondonescapee is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by lapsed kiwi
No problem with that - you are a permanent resident of UK and NZ, so don't need to have onward travel arrangements from either place.

Not sure if it's any cheaper, especially as you can book flights on the expedia.co.uk website from anywhere in the world.
I tried that and it kept bumping me back to the website of origin - this was in the US - I think it picks up where you are and defaults to that location?

I was wondering exactly the same about one way flights - want to come back Xmas 2011 and thought I could just buy the return then from the UK where it is so much cheaper and keep doing it that way. Have no problem coming to see my family and friends every year! But then annual leave etc gets in the way