Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Auckland - North Shore - good realtor ?

Auckland - North Shore - good realtor ?

Old Aug 17th 2010, 7:30 pm

daisycutter is an unknown quantity at this point
Thumbs up Auckland - North Shore - good realtor ?

Hi,looking for a good realtor to help source property,mainly from Devonport up to Torbay along the east coast .... anybody got any good recommendations... many thanks.
Old Aug 17th 2010, 9:56 pm
Forum Regular

Lee Lee has much to be proud ofLee Lee has much to be proud ofLee Lee has much to be proud ofLee Lee has much to be proud ofLee Lee has much to be proud ofLee Lee has much to be proud ofLee Lee has much to be proud ofLee Lee has much to be proud ofLee Lee has much to be proud ofLee Lee has much to be proud ofLee Lee has much to be proud of
Default Re: Auckland - North Shore - good realtor ?

Good question daisycutter we're heading to north shore too so I hope you get some good feedback
Old Aug 17th 2010, 10:06 pm
Forum Regular

forshy is a name known to allforshy is a name known to allforshy is a name known to allforshy is a name known to allforshy is a name known to allforshy is a name known to allforshy is a name known to allforshy is a name known to allforshy is a name known to allforshy is a name known to allforshy is a name known to all

Hi we have just bought a house in browns bay, been here 4 months in NZ and currently rent in Torbay
Feel free to PM me and i can give you the details of a really good guy who helped us
Old Aug 17th 2010, 10:09 pm
It is what it is Member

simonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond repute

Harcourts get my vote (for rentals so far), very professional. Not so good with Barfoot & Thompson.

No experience with purchasing yet.
Old Aug 18th 2010, 2:23 am
Forum Regular

forshy is a name known to allforshy is a name known to allforshy is a name known to allforshy is a name known to allforshy is a name known to allforshy is a name known to allforshy is a name known to allforshy is a name known to allforshy is a name known to allforshy is a name known to allforshy is a name known to all

we purchased off Harcourts - and despite my institutional sceptacism of all estate agents they were actually really helpful in negotiating a new purchasing process which is very different from the UK.
Old Aug 18th 2010, 10:06 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by forshy
we purchased off Harcourts - and despite my institutional sceptacism of all estate agents they were actually really helpful in negotiating a new purchasing process which is very different from the UK.
I think first off you need to get away from the mindset of they as representatives of one big happy family working for the same company. It doesn't work like that here, they are all individuals working for themselves.

I can thoroughly recommend this chap:

http://barfoot.co.nz/s.hinton

I will clearly state that I have no personal interest in the fella, other than him being the realtor for the vendor that we bought from. However, we do stop to say 'How's it going?' if ever we bump into him doing his shopping.
Old Aug 19th 2010, 12:44 am
Banned

Expat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bo-Jangles
I think first off you need to get away from the mindset of they as representatives of one big happy family working for the same company. It doesn't work like that here, they are all individuals working for themselves.
Very much so.

When looking for a good salesperson ask him or her to give you a list of the properties they've sold in the last 18 months, did they achieve/exceed the asking price and how that relates to your house, or the type of property you're interested in.

If you're selling don't be afraid of asking the agent for references from their previous clients and how they plan to market your property in the current market. There's no harm in asking for some free advertising either and remember if they're prepared to haggle on their fee they may also be prepared to haggle on the price of your house.

If buying don't accept their recommendation for third party services - conveyancing, building inspection etc.

Last edited by Expat Kiwi; Aug 19th 2010 at 12:49 am.
Old Aug 19th 2010, 1:02 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Expat Kiwi
Very much so.

When looking for a good salesperson ask him or her to give you a list of the properties they've sold in the last 18 months, did they achieve/exceed the asking price and how that relates to your house, or the type of property you're interested in.

If you're selling don't be afraid of asking the agent for references from their previous clients and how they plan to market your property in the current market. There's no harm in asking for some free advertising either and remember if they're prepared to haggle on their fee they may also be prepared to haggle on the price of your house.

If buying don't accept their recommendation for third party services - conveyancing, building inspection etc.

I agree
Old Aug 19th 2010, 4:16 am
BE Forum Addict

Jan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond repute

I think they should all be shot, probably not very helpfull info for you but i detest estate agents they have done more to make houses unaffordable by charging stupid fees for not a lot of work, I hope they all die in poverty

Neil
Old Aug 19th 2010, 11:11 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Jan n Neil
I think they should all be shot, probably not very helpfull info for you but i detest estate agents they have done more to make houses unaffordable by charging stupid fees for not a lot of work, I hope they all die in poverty

Neil
I may agree when i come to sell
Old Aug 20th 2010, 9:39 pm
Forum Regular

smudge1 has a reputation beyond reputesmudge1 has a reputation beyond reputesmudge1 has a reputation beyond reputesmudge1 has a reputation beyond reputesmudge1 has a reputation beyond reputesmudge1 has a reputation beyond reputesmudge1 has a reputation beyond reputesmudge1 has a reputation beyond reputesmudge1 has a reputation beyond reputesmudge1 has a reputation beyond reputesmudge1 has a reputation beyond repute

When we first came over six years ago we met Martin Earnshaw (ex Brit) who at that time worked for Barfoots. He and his wife Sueanne worked their socks off finding us a suitable property (no easy task at that time...)...even to the point of leafleting streets and knocking on doors.

At that time we were surrounded by many unscrupulous estate agent sharks who smelt the fresh blood of UK Pounds and we were very nearly stripped of our life savings on one leaky building by one vulturous (is that a word?)agent.

Martin was the only agent who was honest and up front about everything we saw...pointing out disadvantages to some properties that we had not seen or thought of and might otherwise have bought.

He has recently started up his own agency charging only 1% commission and we have gone back to him as we are thinking of selling our current house. I have no hesitation in recommending Martin and believe you would be hard pushed to find a more honest and hard working estate agent.

http://www.realestate.co.nz/offices/26143/agents