Best Schools

Old May 17th 2007, 5:02 am
Forum Regular

dubstar is just really nicedubstar is just really nicedubstar is just really nicedubstar is just really nicedubstar is just really nicedubstar is just really nicedubstar is just really nicedubstar is just really nicedubstar is just really nicedubstar is just really nicedubstar is just really nice
Default Re: Best Schools

Hi,

Most schools in Christchurch, especially primary/intermeadiate schools are ok. The highschool thing is a bit more difficult. You could go private about $12k per year.

I have heard from various sources, Burnside, Cashmere, Shirley boys, Boys High, Girls High are all Ok.

There are rougher areas and rougher schools.

My kids boys 11 and 12 go to St. Thomas of Canterbury college (Upper Riccarton) which has 450 boys from year 7 to 13. I am happy with that so far, however, its the kids own effort and attitude in school thats makes or breaks it.
Old May 17th 2007, 7:02 am
BE Enthusiast

CAN2NZ is a glorious beacon of lightCAN2NZ is a glorious beacon of lightCAN2NZ is a glorious beacon of lightCAN2NZ is a glorious beacon of lightCAN2NZ is a glorious beacon of lightCAN2NZ is a glorious beacon of lightCAN2NZ is a glorious beacon of lightCAN2NZ is a glorious beacon of lightCAN2NZ is a glorious beacon of lightCAN2NZ is a glorious beacon of lightCAN2NZ is a glorious beacon of light

Well, let me clarify, I have read a number of posts on this thread and one or two by the other poster on another thread and the emphasis that is placed on the racial make up of a neighbourhood creates the impression that the neigbourhood is nearly all Asian and made up of people with particular last names. Taking the posts all together I was left with the impression, over all, that the reference to Asians was meant to create a negative impression of a particular area of the city. I was also thinking, what if my name was Kim, how woud I feel about reading the post. I don't mind saying that my preference is to live in an area with very limited visible minorites regardless if it makes sense to. One thing I don't like about NZ is that politics is geared towards division based on race and exploitation of race as a political advantage. I find the word used to refer whites a little offensive myself. Anyway, perhaps you might understand my post a little more.
Old May 17th 2007, 9:58 am
If u see Sid, tell 'im...

Location: Ex of Hucknall and Mansfield, Notts and now in Manly, Whangaparaoa, just North of Auckland!
sirplug has a reputation beyond reputesirplug has a reputation beyond reputesirplug has a reputation beyond reputesirplug has a reputation beyond reputesirplug has a reputation beyond reputesirplug has a reputation beyond reputesirplug has a reputation beyond reputesirplug has a reputation beyond reputesirplug has a reputation beyond reputesirplug has a reputation beyond reputesirplug has a reputation beyond repute

I only wanted to know about schools!!?!
Old May 17th 2007, 12:37 pm
BE Forum Addict

mickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sirplug
Where can I obtain a listing of the best schools and about the areas where they are ?
Mrs Sirplug
Our kids go to Takapuna Grammer & Belmont Intermediate Schools, between Takapuna & Devonport.
Both are Decile 10, but I wouldn't say the standards were any better than the "average" schools they attended in the UK.
Also, both of them find they are doing a lot of things in school that they were doing 2 years ago in the UK, probably not a bad thing though, as they are both doing really well
Old May 17th 2007, 1:17 pm

happynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nice

Originally Posted by CAN2NZ
Well, let me clarify, I have read a number of posts on this thread and one or two by the other poster
oh quit beating around the bush and go ahead and name me -- it's happynz
...on another thread and the emphasis that is placed on the racial make up of a neighbourhood creates the impression that the neigbourhood is nearly all Asian and made up of people with particular last names. Taking the posts all together I was left with the impression, over all, that the reference to Asians was meant to create a negative impression of a particular area of the city.
FFS...Where was I being negative? You're making some odd claims here.
I was also thinking, what if my name was Kim, how would I feel about reading the post.
I dunno. ask someone named Kim. I would think that if you asked Kim why he/she chose to live in a particular neighbourhood the reason why might because he/she wanted to get his/her child into a certain school. Is that negative?
I don't mind saying that my preference is to live in an area with very limited visible minorities regardless if it makes sense to.
This statement is quite revealing.
One thing I don't like about NZ is that politics is geared towards division based on race and exploitation of race as a political advantage. I find the word used to refer whites a little offensive myself. Anyway, perhaps you might understand my post a little more.
Yes, thanks for writing. I think I understand your position. It stinks of racism.
Old May 17th 2007, 2:33 pm
Forum Regular

Divine Comedy is just really niceDivine Comedy is just really niceDivine Comedy is just really niceDivine Comedy is just really niceDivine Comedy is just really niceDivine Comedy is just really niceDivine Comedy is just really niceDivine Comedy is just really niceDivine Comedy is just really niceDivine Comedy is just really niceDivine Comedy is just really nice

Old May 17th 2007, 4:29 pm
Account Closed

mazi is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by happynz
oh quit beating around the bush and go ahead and name me -- it's happynz
FFS...Where was I being negative? You're making some odd claims here. I dunno. ask someone named Kim. I would think that if you asked Kim why he/she chose to live in a particular neighbourhood the reason why might because he/she wanted to get his/her child into a certain school. Is that negative?
This statement is quite revealing.
Yes, thanks for writing. I think I understand your position. It stinks of racism.
happynz, can I ask you something entirely unrelated?

How do you reply to posts with all those quote things? If I have wanted to reply to different parts of someone's thread, as you just have, I always find myself having to write some replies in red and then making a statement after the quote part just so that I am actually replying. Does that make any sense whatsoever?

And there is no place for racism here, in NZ, Britain or anywhere else in the world.
Old May 17th 2007, 10:00 pm

happynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nice

Originally Posted by mazi
happynz, can I ask you something entirely unrelated?
Why, of course. This thread has already been train-wrecked.

How do you reply to posts with all those quote things? If I have wanted to reply to different parts of someone's thread, as you just have, I always find myself having to write some replies in red and then making a statement after the quote part just so that I am actually replying.
Uh-huh...I see.

Does that make any sense whatsoever?
Yes, I think I see where you are going with this.

When you reply you want to put these [] around the word quote. When you want to break the quote and reply you end the quote with [/] with the word quote after the slash mark inside the brackets.

And there is no place for racism here, in NZ, Britain or anywhere else in the world.
De acuerdo.
Old May 17th 2007, 10:24 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by happynz
Why, of course. This thread has already been train-wrecked.

Uh-huh...I see.

Yes, I think I see where you are going with this.

When you reply you want to put these [] around the word quote. When you want to break the quote and reply you end the quote with [/] with the word quote after the slash mark inside the brackets.

De acuerdo.
Muchas gracias - but this is a very complicated way of doing things, no? I'll have to hope I don't need to reply to many different parts of someone's post!

Sorry, thread starter - for the train wreck.
Old May 18th 2007, 1:40 am
Just Joined

davek is an unknown quantity at this point

private schooling here is very cheap....2 good schools....medbury for boys and selwyn house for girls..after that christ's college and rangi ruru..cost is a third of what we were paying in the UK....probably one of the only big pluses about living in NZ..........
Old May 18th 2007, 9:17 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by davek
private schooling here is very cheap....2 good schools....medbury for boys and selwyn house for girls..after that christ's college and rangi ruru..cost is a third of what we were paying in the UK....probably one of the only big pluses about living in NZ..........
And so it should cost only a third - you (one, I mean) earn only a third of what you did in the UK!
Old May 20th 2007, 9:55 am
Banned

howardk will become famous soon enoughhowardk will become famous soon enough

And so it should cost only a third - you (one, I mean) earn only a third of what you did in the UK!
not everyone only earns a third....many of us earn equal to our former uk salaries....not much point if only earning a third in the 'green and expensive land'...