Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Belly dance in NZ?

Belly dance in NZ?

Old Sep 3rd 2006, 3:00 am
Maz

Maz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond repute
Default Belly dance in NZ?

Hee hee weird topic huh?

I feel I need to ask if belly dance has become as popular in NZ as it has in the US. It appears to be sweeping the globe...

I am a student of Egyptian belly dance and am in a professional troupe. Translation: the troupe gets paid, but we don't. The money goes to a related not-for-profit organisation. It actually costs us a couple of hundred US$ per dancer to be in the troupe. But I really love it, and if (no... WHEN! ) we move to NZ, I really want to be able to continue dancing.

I've googled "belly dance New Zealand" and it is apparent that you definitely have your fair share of teachers there. Just wondering if it seems as prevalent as it does here (US, sorry!).

Like I said, a weird topic!
Old Sep 3rd 2006, 3:45 am
Inverted Firkin Inventor

Watt Dabney is a splendid one to beholdWatt Dabney is a splendid one to beholdWatt Dabney is a splendid one to beholdWatt Dabney is a splendid one to beholdWatt Dabney is a splendid one to beholdWatt Dabney is a splendid one to beholdWatt Dabney is a splendid one to beholdWatt Dabney is a splendid one to beholdWatt Dabney is a splendid one to beholdWatt Dabney is a splendid one to beholdWatt Dabney is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Belly dance in NZ?

Originally Posted by Maz
Hee hee weird topic huh?

I feel I need to ask if belly dance has become as popular in NZ as it has in the US. It appears to be sweeping the globe...

I am a student of Egyptian belly dance and am in a professional troupe. Translation: the troupe gets paid, but we don't. The money goes to a related not-for-profit organisation. It actually costs us a couple of hundred US$ per dancer to be in the troupe. But I really love it, and if (no... WHEN! ) we move to NZ, I really want to be able to continue dancing.

I've googled "belly dance New Zealand" and it is apparent that you definitely have your fair share of teachers there. Just wondering if it seems as prevalent as it does here (US, sorry!).

My friend belly dances here and there are a few schools here in Christchurch I think. I have been to see her a few times and really enjoy watching it.

When thse girls perform
http://kiwiiwi.co.nz/

it really is an amazing spectacle. I would recommend trying to catch one of their performances.
Old Sep 3rd 2006, 3:53 am
Maz

Maz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond repute

Sweet! Thanks for that site! I would go and see them, but I am doubting we'll get to ChCh for a while. Good to know it's alive and well,and flourishing. Thanks Watt!
Old Sep 3rd 2006, 9:22 pm
BE Enthusiast

cottageinthesky is a name known to allcottageinthesky is a name known to allcottageinthesky is a name known to allcottageinthesky is a name known to allcottageinthesky is a name known to allcottageinthesky is a name known to allcottageinthesky is a name known to allcottageinthesky is a name known to allcottageinthesky is a name known to allcottageinthesky is a name known to allcottageinthesky is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Maz
Hee hee weird topic huh?

I played badminton with a young woman who went to belly dancing classes in Wellington - somewhere off Courtney Place, I think - I've just looked up belly dancing in the phone book and someone has listed an email address and phone number! I'll PM you the email address.
Old Sep 4th 2006, 1:04 am
Maz

Originally Posted by cottageinthesky
I played badminton with a young woman who went to belly dancing classes in Wellington - somewhere off Courtney Place, I think - I've just looked up belly dancing in the phone book and someone has listed an email address and phone number! I'll PM you the email address.
Super, thank you! I look forward to your PM.