Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Been back a week....

Been back a week....

Old Aug 2nd 2008, 11:32 am
BE Forum Addict

Woodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond repute
Default Been back a week....

Came to NZ in Sept 2006, took the kids back for two weeks 'holiday', and now been back in NZ for a week.
First impressions?
UK is old, dirty, tired and shabby.
NZ is young, clean, and backward.
Would I go back? Well yes - at a pinch, if the kids really wanted to. We've got PR now so NZ will always be there for us. On the other hand UK will always be there for us with a UK passport.
Was blessed with warm weather in England and managed to hit Scotland on the hottest days of the year, 24°!
Returned to grey skies and rain.
Amazed at the deals in the UK, £35 a month will get you a free phone and a free laptop, nothing like that in NZ.
Have come to realise that NZ is a second world country. Now, that does have its benefits as well as its downside.
Don't come to NZ expecting UK in the South Pacific cos it ain't gonna happen. To all those in NZ thinking it was better at 'home' - it ain't, just the money is better.
I guess I'm saying I miss Central Heating! And I'm also saying that I'm using this forum to express my feelings for the OLD place and the NEW place.......
Old Aug 2nd 2008, 6:17 pm

Lenmil is a splendid one to beholdLenmil is a splendid one to beholdLenmil is a splendid one to beholdLenmil is a splendid one to beholdLenmil is a splendid one to beholdLenmil is a splendid one to beholdLenmil is a splendid one to beholdLenmil is a splendid one to beholdLenmil is a splendid one to beholdLenmil is a splendid one to beholdLenmil is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Been back a week....

Good honest post and all true. Things are in general seem cheaper in the UK than NZ/OZ with petrol being the exception. The UK is just over crowded as are many places now.
Old Aug 2nd 2008, 8:03 pm
BE Forum Addict

lapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond repute

I agree - to me the overcrowding is the big thing that's never going to get better in UK, just worse and worse. I'll forgo the cheap stuff to escape those crowds.
Old Aug 2nd 2008, 9:18 pm
Dorset to Dunedin

Fooferfish has a reputation beyond reputeFooferfish has a reputation beyond reputeFooferfish has a reputation beyond reputeFooferfish has a reputation beyond reputeFooferfish has a reputation beyond reputeFooferfish has a reputation beyond reputeFooferfish has a reputation beyond reputeFooferfish has a reputation beyond reputeFooferfish has a reputation beyond reputeFooferfish has a reputation beyond reputeFooferfish has a reputation beyond repute

Agree with the state of the houses and thats what will make people go back, especially if you live down south like we do, we have done all we can to make ours warm, but the best free thing is get one that faces the sun and gets winter sun, if you cant afford to build or buy a newish house, i would not want to live in some houses that Kiwis do.

And yeh the population is lower, more space more freedom, and thats where the UK has better prices because of the population and competition, just look at the mobile phone providers, 2.not many cheap supermarkets, what 1 Pak&save,

But TBH we have been here over 3 years now and will see the difference at Christmas as we go back to Poole Dorset for 3 weeks, and will look at the difference and the ammount of people, i'm sure after living in Dunedin all this time we will notice a big change in UK, not looking forward to landing at heathrow with all those planes and people.

I know NZ is bacwards in time, but not in other areas of technology, so its swings and roundabouts i think.
Old Aug 2nd 2008, 10:00 pm

love30stm is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Woodlea
Came to NZ in Sept 2006, took the kids back for two weeks 'holiday', and now been back in NZ for a week.
First impressions?
Would I go back? Well yes - at a pinch, if the kids really wanted to. We've got PR now so NZ will always be there for us. On the other hand UK will always be there for us with a UK passport.
Was blessed with warm weather in England and managed to hit Scotland on the hottest days of the year, 24°!
Amazed at the deals in the UK, £35 a month will get you a free phone and a free laptop, nothing like that in NZ.
Have come to realise that NZ is a second world country. Now, that does have its benefits as well as its downside.
Don't come to NZ expecting UK in the South Pacific cos it ain't gonna happen. To all those in NZ thinking it was better at 'home' - it ain't, just the money is better.
I guess I'm saying I miss Central Heating! And I'm also saying that I'm using this forum to express my feelings for the OLD place and the NEW place.......
correct me if im wrong, but dont you need Citizenship to think NZ will always be here for you???? nor PR
Old Aug 2nd 2008, 10:45 pm
BE Forum Addict

Woodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond repute

Yes I forgot to say about the overcrowding and the traffic, narrow roads and cars going too fast on them! Traffic lights...so many, and on roundabouts!
I think I just need to change my Returning Residents Visa to an indefinite RRV and then I can come and go as I please? But it's not gonna happen, I think it was just the Saturday night booze and a week of waking up at 4.00am that led to the original post!!!
Old Aug 3rd 2008, 5:50 am
Forum Regular

NZBee is a glorious beacon of lightNZBee is a glorious beacon of lightNZBee is a glorious beacon of lightNZBee is a glorious beacon of lightNZBee is a glorious beacon of lightNZBee is a glorious beacon of lightNZBee is a glorious beacon of lightNZBee is a glorious beacon of lightNZBee is a glorious beacon of lightNZBee is a glorious beacon of lightNZBee is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by love30stm
correct me if im wrong, but dont you need Citizenship to think NZ will always be here for you???? nor PR
Once you have your indefinite returning residents visa (you get this after 2 years of PR and proved that you are serious about staying) you can come and go as much as you please. Friends have been back in the UK for 10 years, decided to come back to NZ this year, still on PR granted back in the late 80s.
Old Aug 3rd 2008, 10:37 am

love30stm is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by NZBee
Once you have your indefinite returning residents visa (you get this after 2 years of PR and proved that you are serious about staying) you can come and go as much as you please. Friends have been back in the UK for 10 years, decided to come back to NZ this year, still on PR granted back in the late 80s.
Thanks I did not know that...we have PR and have been here just over one year....
Old Aug 3rd 2008, 10:02 pm
Forum Regular

eddie_nz is a name known to alleddie_nz is a name known to alleddie_nz is a name known to alleddie_nz is a name known to alleddie_nz is a name known to alleddie_nz is a name known to alleddie_nz is a name known to alleddie_nz is a name known to alleddie_nz is a name known to alleddie_nz is a name known to alleddie_nz is a name known to all

Yes I forgot to say about the overcrowding and the traffic, narrow roads and cars going too fast on them! Traffic lights...so many, and on roundabouts!
it that nz or uk???

the traffic in auckland is a mare
Old Aug 4th 2008, 5:03 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by eddie_nz
it that nz or uk???

the traffic in auckland is a mare
The UK, Christchurch traffic is a dream, check it out

http://www.metservice.co.nz/default/...tr_chch_belfst
Old Aug 4th 2008, 9:34 am

Lenmil is a splendid one to beholdLenmil is a splendid one to beholdLenmil is a splendid one to beholdLenmil is a splendid one to beholdLenmil is a splendid one to beholdLenmil is a splendid one to beholdLenmil is a splendid one to beholdLenmil is a splendid one to beholdLenmil is a splendid one to beholdLenmil is a splendid one to beholdLenmil is a splendid one to behold

[QUOTE=Fooferfish;6639774]Agree with the state of the houses and thats what will make people go back, especially if you live down south like we do, we have done all we can to make ours warm, but the best free thing is get one that faces the sun and gets winter sun, if you cant afford to build or buy a newish house, i would not want to live in some houses that Kiwis do.QUOTE]

After suffering a winter in an uninsulated rental house i know where you are coming from. I awoke one morning with my ears hurting. Thought i had fallen asleep with my specs on. Oh no i hadn't. They where frozen. Later on just before i left i sold my car to a guy from the Ukraine. He could not believe the state of houses in NZ. Why don't they have double glazing and central heating etc. I used to get leaflets through the door from the Government stating how it's a health risk sleeping in cold damp conditions. No, never, honestly!
Old Aug 4th 2008, 9:38 am
Account Closed

Nu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really nice

First impressions?

Old, dirty, tired and shabby UK. Yes it is because it's old. But at least you see it for what it's worth.