Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Medicals are back: Blood test concern

Medicals are back: Blood test concern

Old May 3rd 2008, 12:29 pm
Forum Regular

donnynz is a jewel in the roughdonnynz is a jewel in the roughdonnynz is a jewel in the roughdonnynz is a jewel in the rough
Default Medicals are back: Blood test concern

Hi,

Just got our medicals back. Mine had a couple of raised values, which appear to be liver related:

Aspartate Transferase 40 (normal is 0 - 37)
Alanine Transferase 65 (normal is 10 - 50 )

I do drink, but only lager and only at the weekend.

I read that one of these can be caused by strenuous exercise and I have been exercising 4 days a week over the past 3 months in an effort to lose a couple of stone prior to the medical. I'm going to show the results to my GP for advice.

Anyone think that this will stop us getting a residency visa?

Also, we have a set of sealed envelopes which we have to send on to the NZ High Commission. Can we open these or not?

Any advice/help appreciated.

Cheers

D
Old May 3rd 2008, 8:27 pm
Forum Regular

dash1965 has much to be proud ofdash1965 has much to be proud ofdash1965 has much to be proud ofdash1965 has much to be proud ofdash1965 has much to be proud ofdash1965 has much to be proud ofdash1965 has much to be proud ofdash1965 has much to be proud ofdash1965 has much to be proud ofdash1965 has much to be proud ofdash1965 has much to be proud of
Default Re: Medicals are back: Blood test concern

Originally Posted by donnynz
Hi,

Just got our medicals back. Mine had a couple of raised values, which appear to be liver related:

I read that one of these can be caused by strenuous exercise and I have been exercising 4 days a week over the past 3 months in an effort to lose a couple of stone prior to the medical. I'm going to show the results to my GP for advice.

Also, we have a set of sealed envelopes which we have to send on to the NZ High Commission. Can we open these or not?

Cheers

D
Hi DonnyNZ,

Don't worry about your liver results, mine were much worse. My ALT was 116 and they asked to get another done which I did and it was right down although still higher than yours and they accepted that. My reasons for elevated levels were put down to the fact that I had been taking malaria tablets a year earlier and they can effect the liver for quite some time.

That was 18 months ago and I've just had more done for a job contract overseas and they are better still although one is still higher than yours!!

Just in case they ask for a re-test just drink water and take milk thistle tablets once a day as they help to retore liver function.

And then have a shed full of beer when they give you the all clear

Good Luck

Dave
Old May 4th 2008, 3:27 pm
Forum Regular

dollyhill is a jewel in the roughdollyhill is a jewel in the roughdollyhill is a jewel in the roughdollyhill is a jewel in the rough

Sorry I can't be of any use, but just wondering where you find out how to compare your results to normal results? We got them back for OH the other day but they mean nothing to us!
Old May 4th 2008, 3:43 pm
Forum Regular

donnynz is a jewel in the roughdonnynz is a jewel in the roughdonnynz is a jewel in the roughdonnynz is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by dash1965
Hi DonnyNZ,

Don't worry about your liver results, mine were much worse. My ALT was 116 and they asked to get another done which I did and it was right down although still higher than yours and they accepted that. My reasons for elevated levels were put down to the fact that I had been taking malaria tablets a year earlier and they can effect the liver for quite some time.

That was 18 months ago and I've just had more done for a job contract overseas and they are better still although one is still higher than yours!!

Just in case they ask for a re-test just drink water and take milk thistle tablets once a day as they help to retore liver function.

And then have a shed full of beer when they give you the all clear

Good Luck

Dave
Hi,

Thanks for putting my mind at rest, I really appreciate it! Right, I'm off to crack open that bottle of meths I've been saving for a rainy day...

D
Old May 4th 2008, 3:44 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by dollyhill
Sorry I can't be of any use, but just wondering where you find out how to compare your results to normal results? We got them back for OH the other day but they mean nothing to us!
Hi,

When we got them back, anything that was out of range was highlighted in red. Also, on the same line, it indicates the normal range.

Cheers.

J
Old May 4th 2008, 3:59 pm
BE Enthusiast

gina and danny is a glorious beacon of lightgina and danny is a glorious beacon of lightgina and danny is a glorious beacon of lightgina and danny is a glorious beacon of lightgina and danny is a glorious beacon of lightgina and danny is a glorious beacon of lightgina and danny is a glorious beacon of lightgina and danny is a glorious beacon of lightgina and danny is a glorious beacon of lightgina and danny is a glorious beacon of lightgina and danny is a glorious beacon of light

your panel doc would have wrote a note alongside the bloods if he was concerned, i had raised albumin and raised total protein but next to the liver bloods box he just wrote insignificant variations.

hope this helps.
Old May 4th 2008, 4:01 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Ozzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond repute

Hi,

Cheers

D
Without knowing the rest of your medical history, drug history etc etc....., I would still strongly suspect that these figures alone would not have any impact at all on your ability to immigrate.
Old Aug 1st 2008, 7:53 pm
Forum Regular

2poor4this is a jewel in the rough2poor4this is a jewel in the rough2poor4this is a jewel in the rough2poor4this is a jewel in the rough2poor4this is a jewel in the rough

Hi, How did you get on with this?
Just got our medicals back and mine were 40 and 62
Hate to think I'd have to give up beer.
Old Aug 1st 2008, 10:05 pm
Forum Regular

Hi,

I never had a problem with it. We're on our way soon.

My GP said that my readings are classed as normal in the range that they work from. I did have another one to be on the safe side (taken by my GP), just incase NZ immigration contacted them.

They came back within the NZ limits this time. I had a muscle strain just before the first one, as I had been exercising hard, which I think contributed to the original readings.

My GP also said that it could be attributed to a fatty liver, but I'm not too far over the recommended BMI for my height at the moment, so I'm not sure about that.

I have a fair few beers at the weekends only. It's needed!

I'm sure you will be fine.

Good Luck!
Old Aug 2nd 2008, 7:23 am
Forum Regular

drrobert is just really nicedrrobert is just really nicedrrobert is just really nicedrrobert is just really nicedrrobert is just really nicedrrobert is just really nicedrrobert is just really nicedrrobert is just really nicedrrobert is just really nicedrrobert is just really nice

Don't worry - results just outside the reference range occur all the time when batteries of laboratory tests are done on healthy people.

Every lab has it's own reference ranges which depend on the methods/machines used for the assay.

The reference ranges usually have an arbitrary definition e.g. the range within which the results of 95% of healthy people fall. This means that for any given test up to 5% of healthy individuals will have an 'abnormal' result. In your case, the AST and ALT are just above the upper limit of the 'normal range', so they don't warrant further investigation.
Old Aug 2nd 2008, 10:31 am
Forum Regular

2poor4this is a jewel in the rough2poor4this is a jewel in the rough2poor4this is a jewel in the rough2poor4this is a jewel in the rough2poor4this is a jewel in the rough

Thank you both for that, I'll carry on as normal then

@donnynz all the best for your future in NZ, where you heading?
Old Aug 2nd 2008, 11:37 am
Forum Regular

mkumar is an unknown quantity at this point

My alanine levels were high.

The doctor told me to get a second test from my GP, a week or so after the initial test. Alanine levels went down.

1st reading was slightly elevated
Old Aug 2nd 2008, 12:27 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by 2poor4this
Thank you both for that, I'll carry on as normal then

@donnynz all the best for your future in NZ, where you heading?
Cheers, you too. Rangiora. You?
Old Aug 4th 2008, 3:29 pm
Forum Regular

Cheers, you too. Rangiora. You?
Were not sure yet, original plan was to spend a few weeks touring, work "hot spots" for me seem to be new plymouth and whangarei, it's somewhere to start.