Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Batten down the hatches NI'ers

Batten down the hatches NI'ers

Old Jul 26th 2008, 10:01 pm
BE Forum Addict

lapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Batten down the hatches NI'ers

It hit heavily here yesterday afternoon, loads of rain, winds about 50knots I think (a few nutters out windsurfing I was pleased to see). We went for a drive to Placemakers to stock up on batteries having lost our power at about 3pm and the only damage we saw was a window of the Catholic church which had blown in, although the wind seemed to get stronger in the evening so more may have happened. Glad to say our "shed" seems to have remained standing and the lights came back on just before midnight. Needless to say the heat pumps weren't working too well but it was quite mild throughout (about 12C minimum) so not too much of a problem. Must go for a walk on the beach today and see the aftermath, I think some of the beachfront houses may have got a hammering
Old Jul 26th 2008, 10:19 pm
---

bourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond repute

Still quite full on here in Hawkes Bay. The wind is more normal now but it's still pouring. Encouraging to see the creek that surrounds our section has still got a metre to rie before we need to evacuate though ....

Hope the rain stops soon!
Old Jul 27th 2008, 12:12 am
BE Enthusiast

Ian & Sharon has a reputation beyond reputeIan & Sharon has a reputation beyond reputeIan & Sharon has a reputation beyond reputeIan & Sharon has a reputation beyond reputeIan & Sharon has a reputation beyond reputeIan & Sharon has a reputation beyond reputeIan & Sharon has a reputation beyond reputeIan & Sharon has a reputation beyond reputeIan & Sharon has a reputation beyond reputeIan & Sharon has a reputation beyond reputeIan & Sharon has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bourbon-biscuit
How insensitive!
Sorry, the barbie bit was abit ott
Old Jul 27th 2008, 12:26 am
---

bourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ian & Sharon
Sorry, the barbie bit was abit ott

Hope you had a fab birthday!

Creek water is going down, yay! We're just staying at home today- got the fire stoked up and watching The Hogfather with the kids.
Old Jul 27th 2008, 5:43 am
BE Enthusiast

Ian & Sharon has a reputation beyond reputeIan & Sharon has a reputation beyond reputeIan & Sharon has a reputation beyond reputeIan & Sharon has a reputation beyond reputeIan & Sharon has a reputation beyond reputeIan & Sharon has a reputation beyond reputeIan & Sharon has a reputation beyond reputeIan & Sharon has a reputation beyond reputeIan & Sharon has a reputation beyond reputeIan & Sharon has a reputation beyond reputeIan & Sharon has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bourbon-biscuit

Hope you had a fab birthday!
Thanks I did.

Bit of a hangover today.

The strange thing is..............I was over the road before chopping wood for one of the oldies, I never thought I'd do that again
Old Jul 27th 2008, 10:23 am

Am Loolah is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Ian & Sharon
Thanks I did.

Bit of a hangover today.

The strange thing is..............I was over the road before chopping wood for one of the oldies, I never thought I'd do that again
We had an estimated 200mm of rain yesterday and the winds started at about 4pm which were huge, couple of fences, branches and signboards down but nothing too major.

Coming home yesterday from the Mount and were faced with ambulances and police and 3 guys in wetsuits on the beachfront. Front page of the Herald today, turns out these 4 guys had set off to canoe from Maketu to the Mount, I'm guesstimating this is at least 12 km on the ocean in 6-7m swells - one still missing presumed drowned.

The thing is we were all told about the impending storm from mid-week and advised to stay home - at what point did they think taking to the ocean was a good idea? Sorry if that sounds heartless, but a bit of common sense surely?
Old Jul 27th 2008, 11:38 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Am Loolah
We had an estimated 200mm of rain yesterday and the winds started at about 4pm which were huge, couple of fences, branches and signboards down but nothing too major.

Coming home yesterday from the Mount and were faced with ambulances and police and 3 guys in wetsuits on the beachfront. Front page of the Herald today, turns out these 4 guys had set off to canoe from Maketu to the Mount, I'm guesstimating this is at least 12 km on the ocean in 6-7m swells - one still missing presumed drowned.

The thing is we were all told about the impending storm from mid-week and advised to stay home - at what point did they think taking to the ocean was a good idea? Sorry if that sounds heartless, but a bit of common sense surely?
We get them over here surfing in the most ridiculous weather. You warn them not to go in the sea and that it can and will kill in conditions like that, but they just won't listen.
What makes me maddest is the fact that the Emergency Services than have to risk their lives looking for the idiots
Old Jul 27th 2008, 7:52 pm
By name and by nature

Batty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Am Loolah
I'm sure everybody who's heard or read about it thought exactly the same AL. God love his family - they're the ones who have to deal with a young man's sense of immortality (and his stupidity).

We had a relatively easy time of it as we're very sheltered where we are. A couple of branches came down but we never lost our power and with the woodburner we were toasty all day