balls

Old Oct 6th 2005, 11:22 pm
Just Joined

rupert_pumpkin will become famous soon enough
Default balls

just in case anyone was contemplating it, don't try and bring juggling balls into NZ, they get quarantined as they are considered a biohazard because they contain birdseed.

i paid the $30 and picked them up, place was a 55 minute walk from airport and they'd observed them at high temperature so they lost all their shape and colour
Old Oct 6th 2005, 11:28 pm
Forum Regular

Mark & Sarah is just really niceMark & Sarah is just really niceMark & Sarah is just really niceMark & Sarah is just really niceMark & Sarah is just really niceMark & Sarah is just really niceMark & Sarah is just really niceMark & Sarah is just really niceMark & Sarah is just really niceMark & Sarah is just really nice
Smile Re: balls

Originally Posted by rupert_pumpkin
just in case anyone was contemplating it, don't try and bring juggling balls into NZ, they get quarantined as they are considered a biohazard because they contain birdseed.

i paid the $30 and picked them up, place was a 55 minute walk from airport and they'd observed them at high temperature so they lost all their shape and colour
Thats altogether put me off applying to emigrate!
Old Oct 6th 2005, 11:58 pm
Forum Regular

Location: I'm a Brit who's lived in Auckland for the last 2 years
NZ Climber has a brilliant futureNZ Climber has a brilliant futureNZ Climber has a brilliant futureNZ Climber has a brilliant futureNZ Climber has a brilliant futureNZ Climber has a brilliant futureNZ Climber has a brilliant future
Default Re: balls

Never had a problem with the 9 that I shipped into the country along with the rest of our stuff.
Old Oct 7th 2005, 12:04 am
Don't let me get me....

Pinkie Pie has a reputation beyond reputePinkie Pie has a reputation beyond reputePinkie Pie has a reputation beyond reputePinkie Pie has a reputation beyond reputePinkie Pie has a reputation beyond reputePinkie Pie has a reputation beyond reputePinkie Pie has a reputation beyond reputePinkie Pie has a reputation beyond reputePinkie Pie has a reputation beyond reputePinkie Pie has a reputation beyond reputePinkie Pie has a reputation beyond repute

I hope juggling isn't a requirement for getting into the country!!!

Never had you pegged as a juggler Rupert! It's amazing what hidden talents we all have...anyone got anything startling to reveal???...my best talent is being able to cook tea, iron, help kids with homework and read a book - all at the same time...

Hope you had a good journey and are settling ok in NZ Rupert...
Old Oct 7th 2005, 1:49 am
Just Joined

rupert_pumpkin will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by Pinkie Pie
I hope juggling isn't a requirement for getting into the country!!!

Never had you pegged as a juggler Rupert! It's amazing what hidden talents we all have...anyone got anything startling to reveal???...my best talent is being able to cook tea, iron, help kids with homework and read a book - all at the same time...

Hope you had a good journey and are settling ok in NZ Rupert...
settling in fine thanks, got a decent job pretty quickly, getting on well with the bird and generally and loving it over here

once i get used to being called "ellen" instead of alan (my real name) i will be sweet as!
Old Oct 7th 2005, 8:22 am
Susie..

Andrew Cross has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Cross has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Cross has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Cross has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Cross has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Cross has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Cross has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Cross has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Cross has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Cross has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Cross has a reputation beyond repute

settling in fine thanks, got a decent job pretty quickly, getting on well with the bird and generally and loving it over here

once i get used to being called "ellen" instead of alan (my real name) i will be sweet as!
That really made me laugh the 'ellen' for alan....
I work at Heathrow and have noticed since deciding to move to NZ (jan 06)
that quite a few words sound like something else ie 'chicken' is what it sounds like when asking about check-in...
sue
Old Oct 7th 2005, 8:37 am
Forum Regular

extrameant is just really niceextrameant is just really niceextrameant is just really niceextrameant is just really niceextrameant is just really niceextrameant is just really niceextrameant is just really niceextrameant is just really niceextrameant is just really niceextrameant is just really niceextrameant is just really nice

Originally Posted by Andrew Cross
that quite a few words sound like something else ie 'chicken' is what it sounds like when asking about check-in...
sue
When I first started looking for work here, I tried phoning companies, just anyone remotely involved im my area, to find out who was the person I need to talk to. I have always found if you get put onto HR, just back off and try again, waste of space.

Anyway, this person told me the guy I needed to speak to was Mr letch. In fact, he was able to put me through to him now, so I got to talk to the man in charge who might be intested in my particular field, rather than a bunch of numties in HR.

Problem was he was called mr Latch, and I don't think he took kindly to me calling him a letch!

There is no way kiwis understand what a cat is. You have to say Ket, seems to be the hardest word for them.
Old Oct 7th 2005, 8:44 am
BE Forum Addict

SarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond repute

Hehe... Mr Letch!!

I was at chipmunks yesterday and was sitting on the edge of a small bouncy castle just for toddlers while my little lad got used to it.... a slightly older lad bounced up and asked me if I was Pwegmamt.... ermm... I had to ask him again and just realised that he had problems saying the word. I think he was just being careful that he didnt bounce too close to me and hit me.....awww bless.
Old Oct 7th 2005, 11:39 am
Nice Tats

Pompey_Paul is a glorious beacon of lightPompey_Paul is a glorious beacon of lightPompey_Paul is a glorious beacon of lightPompey_Paul is a glorious beacon of lightPompey_Paul is a glorious beacon of lightPompey_Paul is a glorious beacon of lightPompey_Paul is a glorious beacon of lightPompey_Paul is a glorious beacon of lightPompey_Paul is a glorious beacon of lightPompey_Paul is a glorious beacon of lightPompey_Paul is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Andrew Cross
sue
Sounds like a whole new thread.....dont it?, words that sound different in Kiwi
Old Oct 7th 2005, 7:22 pm
BE Forum Addict

lapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pompey_Paul
Here are some, from when I arrived in UK after 9 years in NZ:
- unable to buy a pint of Bass in Devon, my "bass" was a "best" to Devon ears
- tried to borrow a pen in a bank to write a cheque, was given a pin
Old Oct 7th 2005, 9:55 pm
Life begins...

80s Chick has a reputation beyond repute80s Chick has a reputation beyond repute80s Chick has a reputation beyond repute80s Chick has a reputation beyond repute80s Chick has a reputation beyond repute80s Chick has a reputation beyond repute80s Chick has a reputation beyond repute80s Chick has a reputation beyond repute80s Chick has a reputation beyond repute80s Chick has a reputation beyond repute80s Chick has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pompey_Paul
Go on then Paul/Pam...start one!! Got one for you here from listening to an ad on Kiwi radio on the World Wide WIB...

fantastic = fin-tis-tuck

BTW there are 3 Kiwi teachers at Georgina's school so I'm sure I can find more

Phyl

Last edited by 80s Chick; Oct 7th 2005 at 9:58 pm. Reason: to add more drivel
Old Oct 8th 2005, 5:04 pm
Galaxy 1: Cadbury's 0

uk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lapsed kiwi
Here are some, from when I arrived in UK after 9 years in NZ:
- unable to buy a pint of Bass in Devon, my "bass" was a "best" to Devon ears
- tried to borrow a pen in a bank to write a cheque, was given a pin
Yep, my kiwi husband still cannot say the phonetic 'e' sound. Has to try really hard so as not to confuse our children who are at the critical spelling/sounding out for reading & writing ages of 5 and 4!

I think 'a' is also a bit tricky.

Would be very interested in how they teach phonic sounds to young children starting school. In fact, it does put me off a bit I have to admit, lovely as accents are.

Oh and we've said it on the forum before - known pronounced as know-en. MIL & OH both do this.

Bye for now.