British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   New Zealand (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/)
-   -   balls (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/balls-330000/)

rupert_pumpkin Oct 6th 2005 11:22 pm

balls

just in case anyone was contemplating it, don't try and bring juggling balls into NZ, they get quarantined as they are considered a biohazard because they contain birdseed.

i paid the $30 and picked them up, place was a 55 minute walk from airport and they'd observed them at high temperature so they lost all their shape and colour :(

Mark & Sarah Oct 6th 2005 11:28 pm

Re: balls

Originally Posted by rupert_pumpkin
just in case anyone was contemplating it, don't try and bring juggling balls into NZ, they get quarantined as they are considered a biohazard because they contain birdseed.

i paid the $30 and picked them up, place was a 55 minute walk from airport and they'd observed them at high temperature so they lost all their shape and colour :(

Thats altogether put me off applying to emigrate! ;)

NZ Climber Oct 6th 2005 11:58 pm

Never had a problem with the 9 that I shipped into the country along with the rest of our stuff.

Pinkie Pie Oct 7th 2005 12:04 am

I hope juggling isn't a requirement for getting into the country!!!

Never had you pegged as a juggler Rupert! It's amazing what hidden talents we all have...anyone got anything startling to reveal???...my best talent is being able to cook tea, iron, help kids with homework and read a book - all at the same time...

Hope you had a good journey and are settling ok in NZ Rupert...;)

rupert_pumpkin Oct 7th 2005 1:49 am

Originally Posted by Pinkie Pie
I hope juggling isn't a requirement for getting into the country!!!

Never had you pegged as a juggler Rupert! It's amazing what hidden talents we all have...anyone got anything startling to reveal???...my best talent is being able to cook tea, iron, help kids with homework and read a book - all at the same time...

Hope you had a good journey and are settling ok in NZ Rupert...;)

settling in fine thanks, got a decent job pretty quickly, getting on well with the bird and generally and loving it over here

once i get used to being called "ellen" instead of alan (my real name) i will be sweet as!

Andrew Cross Oct 7th 2005 8:22 am

settling in fine thanks, got a decent job pretty quickly, getting on well with the bird and generally and loving it over here

once i get used to being called "ellen" instead of alan (my real name) i will be sweet as!

That really made me laugh the 'ellen' for alan....
I work at Heathrow and have noticed since deciding to move to NZ (jan 06)
that quite a few words sound like something else ie 'chicken' is what it sounds like when asking about check-in... :D
sue

extrameant Oct 7th 2005 8:37 am

Originally Posted by Andrew Cross
that quite a few words sound like something else ie 'chicken' is what it sounds like when asking about check-in... :D
sue

When I first started looking for work here, I tried phoning companies, just anyone remotely involved im my area, to find out who was the person I need to talk to. I have always found if you get put onto HR, just back off and try again, waste of space.

Anyway, this person told me the guy I needed to speak to was Mr letch. In fact, he was able to put me through to him now, so I got to talk to the man in charge who might be intested in my particular field, rather than a bunch of numties in HR.

Problem was he was called mr Latch, and I don't think he took kindly to me calling him a letch!

There is no way kiwis understand what a cat is. You have to say Ket, seems to be the hardest word for them.

SarahB Oct 7th 2005 8:44 am

Hehe... Mr Letch!! :D

I was at chipmunks yesterday and was sitting on the edge of a small bouncy castle just for toddlers while my little lad got used to it.... a slightly older lad bounced up and asked me if I was Pwegmamt.... ermm... I had to ask him again and just realised that he had problems saying the word. I think he was just being careful that he didnt bounce too close to me and hit me.....awww bless. :)

Pompey_Paul Oct 7th 2005 11:39 am

Originally Posted by Andrew Cross
sue

Sounds like a whole new thread.....dont it?, words that sound different in Kiwi :beer:

lapsed kiwi Oct 7th 2005 7:22 pm

Originally Posted by Pompey_Paul
Sounds like a whole new thread.....dont it?, words that sound different in Kiwi :beer:

Here are some, from when I arrived in UK after 9 years in NZ:
- unable to buy a pint of Bass in Devon, my "bass" was a "best" to Devon ears
- tried to borrow a pen in a bank to write a cheque, was given a pin

80s Chick Oct 7th 2005 9:55 pm

Originally Posted by Pompey_Paul

Go on then Paul/Pam...start one!! ;) Got one for you here from listening to an ad on Kiwi radio on the World Wide WIB...

fantastic = fin-tis-tuck

BTW there are 3 Kiwi teachers at Georgina's school so I'm sure I can find more

Phyl

uk+kiwi Oct 8th 2005 5:04 pm

Originally Posted by lapsed kiwi
Here are some, from when I arrived in UK after 9 years in NZ:
- unable to buy a pint of Bass in Devon, my "bass" was a "best" to Devon ears
- tried to borrow a pen in a bank to write a cheque, was given a pin

Yep, my kiwi husband still cannot say the phonetic 'e' sound. Has to try really hard so as not to confuse our children who are at the critical spelling/sounding out for reading & writing ages of 5 and 4! ;)

I think 'a' is also a bit tricky.

Would be very interested in how they teach phonic sounds to young children starting school. In fact, it does put me off a bit I have to admit, lovely as accents are.

Oh and we've said it on the forum before - known pronounced as know-en. MIL & OH both do this.

Bye for now. :)