Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Baby Formual Milk in NZ- advice please!

Baby Formual Milk in NZ- advice please!

Old Feb 20th 2006, 12:51 pm
Just Joined

Vickbuster is an unknown quantity at this point
Question Baby Formual Milk in NZ- advice please!

Calling all new mums and dads...........!

I will be having our second child in a few weeks and then we are planning to emigrate in November to Christchurch (are we nuts?!!).Anyway, I plan to bottle fed the baby and want to start off on a formula that i can continue with easily in NZ.

Can anyone let me know the names of the most common baby milk brands? - i will then endevour to find these in the UK.......

Many thanks!

Mum to be
Old Feb 21st 2006, 4:39 am
BE Enthusiast

Joshlin has a reputation beyond reputeJoshlin has a reputation beyond reputeJoshlin has a reputation beyond reputeJoshlin has a reputation beyond reputeJoshlin has a reputation beyond reputeJoshlin has a reputation beyond reputeJoshlin has a reputation beyond reputeJoshlin has a reputation beyond reputeJoshlin has a reputation beyond reputeJoshlin has a reputation beyond reputeJoshlin has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Baby Formual Milk in NZ- advice please!

Originally Posted by Vickbuster

I will be having our second child in a few weeks and then we are planning to emigrate in November to Christchurch (are we nuts?!!).Anyway, I plan to bottle fed the baby and want to start off on a formula that i can continue with easily in NZ.

Can anyone let me know the names of the most common baby milk brands? - i will then endevour to find these in the UK.......

Many thanks!

Mum to be
Hi there
good luck with the birth - can't remember off hand what the brands are here, I just remember when I came over the first time and my son was still on formula none of them were familiar. I'm sure someone else will advise on what they've used - there's a few new parents who post, but otherwise I'll take note next time I'm out and about and let you know.
By then you're little one should be 7/8 months so you should be able to change formula's without too much sensitivity - as I say, I gave my son something new and he was a little older, but he didn't bat an eyelid!
Vicki
Old Feb 21st 2006, 9:28 am
Just Joined

Thanks for the info and you're right, if our second is anything like our first little boy, then he'll eat anything in sight!!

Vicki.

p.s. I love reading your postings, feel like you're a kindred spirit, moving out there with young ones as well! Did you know anyone when you arrived in NZ?
Old Feb 21st 2006, 11:10 am
BE Enthusiast

babybella has a reputation beyond reputebabybella has a reputation beyond reputebabybella has a reputation beyond reputebabybella has a reputation beyond reputebabybella has a reputation beyond reputebabybella has a reputation beyond reputebabybella has a reputation beyond reputebabybella has a reputation beyond reputebabybella has a reputation beyond reputebabybella has a reputation beyond reputebabybella has a reputation beyond repute

Many thanks!

Mum to be
Hi, I used to use SMA gold top (not sure if it is for newborns tho)
Good luck with the new baby
KAZ
Old Feb 21st 2006, 5:40 pm
Forum Regular

beaudixon is a jewel in the roughbeaudixon is a jewel in the roughbeaudixon is a jewel in the roughbeaudixon is a jewel in the rough

Many thanks!

Mum to be
Hi, we travelled to NZ last year with my 5 month old. They have SMA readily available in supermarkets although ots not called SMA Gold / SMA White etc. I phoned the help number on the SMA tin and they gave me all the names used in NZ. Hope this helps and good luck! Maybe see you out their were moving to Ashburton mid-October with 2 under 4yrs! Regards, Beaudixon
Old Feb 21st 2006, 8:39 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by beaudixon
Hi, we travelled to NZ last year with my 5 month old. They have SMA readily available in supermarkets although ots not called SMA Gold / SMA White etc. I phoned the help number on the SMA tin and they gave me all the names used in NZ. Hope this helps and good luck! Maybe see you out their were moving to Ashburton mid-October with 2 under 4yrs! Regards, Beaudixon

Thanks for this information , will go for SMA gold then call the hotline as you suggested!

We also did a reccy last year, I can't wait to go back. We went through Ashburton whilst looking around Methven I think. All looks great, what's make you choose Ashburton?

vicki.
Old Feb 22nd 2006, 5:22 am
BE Enthusiast

Joshlin has a reputation beyond reputeJoshlin has a reputation beyond reputeJoshlin has a reputation beyond reputeJoshlin has a reputation beyond reputeJoshlin has a reputation beyond reputeJoshlin has a reputation beyond reputeJoshlin has a reputation beyond reputeJoshlin has a reputation beyond reputeJoshlin has a reputation beyond reputeJoshlin has a reputation beyond reputeJoshlin has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for the info and you're right, if our second is anything like our first little boy, then he'll eat anything in sight!!

Vicki.

p.s. I love reading your postings, feel like you're a kindred spirit, moving out there with young ones as well! Did you know anyone when you arrived in NZ?
Gee thanks!
my bil lives on the north island and originally we were going to go there, but they started looking at Oz and it made us think about alternatives - we're now in chch and loving it. We wanted one of the larger areas cos we didn't have jobs or anything so needed as much opportunity as possible, we knew we didn't want Auckland and hadn't really been struck by wellington. We also felt we could get more for our money here, and we like getting the 4 seasons - no regrets. Our children have settled really well - my son is just 4 and my daughter is 20mths and I do believe time wise for them it was perfect - they have adapted with very little in the way of hiccups - although grandparents have found it hard!!
Good luck with your move - keep in touch, we found the support both on here and locally amongst expats that we'd met on here really helped us feel settled and has given us some excellent friendships!
Vicki
Old Feb 23rd 2006, 2:47 am
turkeytickler

We use S-26 gold (which is what the hospitals also use here)

hth

Old Feb 26th 2006, 7:45 pm
Forum Regular

beaudixon is a jewel in the roughbeaudixon is a jewel in the roughbeaudixon is a jewel in the roughbeaudixon is a jewel in the rough

Thanks for this information , will go for SMA gold then call the hotline as you suggested!

We also did a reccy last year, I can't wait to go back. We went through Ashburton whilst looking around Methven I think. All looks great, what's make you choose Ashburton?

vicki.
Hi, glad to help with the baby milk.

Ashburton decided on as Neil got offered a job whilst out there. Company based in Ashburton, we were planning to move to the Canterbury plains area anyway and the job Set the exact location.

Hope all goes well, maybe see you there, Beaudixon.