Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Auckland weather - heating/aircon and where to buy homeware on arrival

Auckland weather - heating/aircon and where to buy homeware on arrival

Old Jun 4th 2015, 7:51 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Auckland weather - heating/aircon and where to buy homeware on arrival

Originally Posted by garethwm
That statement is so wrong it isnt funny.

Nope, not wrong at all and there's absolutely no more need for aircon than there is living anywhere south of Watford in the UK although it can be a 'nice to have' on about five days of the year.

This summer as noted above has been exceptional IMVHO and yet we had air con on twice for twenty minutes at most. Usually once the sun has gone for the day, so has the heat and the ambient air temperature is usually pretty cool.

For me this summer was exceptional on account if it being consistently 'pleasant' rather than the usual mixture of hot and wet fug with 95-100% humidity.

The weather at the moment is indeed a lot like April in the UK and we find that a lot when we have conversations with folks at home that the spring and autumn weather is not much different and generally unpredictable being dark, cold and hammering down one minute and back to sunshine the next.
Old Jun 4th 2015, 12:20 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Moses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Auckland weather - heating/aircon and where to buy homeware on arrival

Originally Posted by Bo-Jangles
Nope, not wrong at all and there's absolutely no more need for aircon than there is living anywhere south of Watford in the UK although it can be a 'nice to have' on about five days of the year.

This summer as noted above has been exceptional IMVHO and yet we had air con on twice for twenty minutes at most. Usually once the sun has gone for the day, so has the heat and the ambient air temperature is usually pretty cool.

For me this summer was exceptional on account if it being consistently 'pleasant' rather than the usual mixture of hot and wet fug with 95-100% humidity.

The weather at the moment is indeed a lot like April in the UK and we find that a lot when we have conversations with folks at home that the spring and autumn weather is not much different and generally unpredictable being dark, cold and hammering down one minute and back to sunshine the next.
I just thought it would be the easiest comparison. If you don't need aircon in London during a hot summer, you won't need it in Auckland. No doubt that Auckland gets more sun hours and is a bit more humid, but London has seen higher temps during summer. The higher humidity would still only make a small difference, so if it's 27c in Auckland with 90% humidity, it would feel like 31c. London would still see less rain than Auckland, but has more overcast days. People moving to Auckland from London, because they hate rain, might be upset. As mentioned by desmondo84, no such thing as bad weather
Old Jun 4th 2015, 9:53 pm
BE Enthusiast

garethwm has a reputation beyond reputegarethwm has a reputation beyond reputegarethwm has a reputation beyond reputegarethwm has a reputation beyond reputegarethwm has a reputation beyond reputegarethwm has a reputation beyond reputegarethwm has a reputation beyond reputegarethwm has a reputation beyond reputegarethwm has a reputation beyond reputegarethwm has a reputation beyond reputegarethwm has a reputation beyond repute

Well, in that case I think your memory is poor. 2010 and 2013 summers were official droughts in Auckland and 2014 and 15 were near droughts. I remember 2013 summer especially as being day after day of bright sunshine. I think by the end of March the situation was dire because there had literally been millimetres of rainfall since Christmas. As far as fans go, a lot probably depends on your body. In January through March you get periods where the temp stays in the 20s through the night. And, without going into too much detail, things can get pretty sticky, for me anyway. Rather than leave a window open and let the mozzies in, I have a fan going. That didnt happen to me in London.

Last edited by garethwm; Jun 4th 2015 at 9:55 pm.
Old Jun 5th 2015, 8:29 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Moses2013
I just thought it would be the easiest comparison. If you don't need aircon in London during a hot summer, you won't need it in Auckland. No doubt that Auckland gets more sun hours and is a bit more humid, but London has seen higher temps during summer. The higher humidity would still only make a small difference, so if it's 27c in Auckland with 90% humidity, it would feel like 31c. London would still see less rain than Auckland, but has more overcast days. People moving to Auckland from London, because they hate rain, might be upset. As mentioned by desmondo84, no such thing as bad weather

There was no argument from me Moses, I agree with you wholeheartedly.
Old Jun 5th 2015, 9:18 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Moses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond repute

There was no argument from me Moses, I agree with you wholeheartedly.
No worries, it was just in reply to garethwm:-). Sorry for the confusion.