Reload this Page >

Auckland weather - heating/aircon and where to buy homeware on arrival

Auckland weather - heating/aircon and where to buy homeware on arrival

Old Jun 2nd 2015, 11:20 am
Just Joined

tm001 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Auckland weather - heating/aircon and where to buy homeware on arrival

Hey,

Im moving to auckland this june for approx 3 years with family.

I was wondering how hot or cold it gets and if there wld be a need to buy either fans or AC's for the summer. Late 20s sound pretty hot to me after living in the uk for 9 years

Also wld you guys know of any good places in auckland to buy homewares such as kitchen ware, duvets, bedsheets, towels and that sort of stuff for a good price.

Thanks
Old Jun 2nd 2015, 11:40 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Moses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond repute
Default re: Auckland weather - heating/aircon and where to buy homeware on arrival

Originally Posted by tm001
Hey,

Im moving to auckland this june for approx 3 years with family.

I was wondering how hot or cold it gets and if there wld be a need to buy either fans or AC's for the summer. Late 20s sound pretty hot to me after living in the uk for 9 years

Also wld you guys know of any good places in auckland to buy homewares such as kitchen ware, duvets, bedsheets, towels and that sort of stuff for a good price.

Thanks
Oh another weather thread Let's say if you didn't need an AC in London during summer, you certainly won't need one in Auckland.
Old Jun 2nd 2015, 12:19 pm
BE Forum Addict

Justcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond repute
Default re: Auckland weather - heating/aircon and where to buy homeware on arrival

if you buy/rent a house 99% it'll be heated by a heat pump, these will both keep you warm in winter and act as air con in the summer, if you need it.

Or you can simply open a window and the ranch sliders to let a nice breeze though
Old Jun 2nd 2015, 12:25 pm
Just Joined

Unfortunately the house doesnt have a heat pump . And as its a rental we cant install anything on the walls.
Old Jun 2nd 2015, 12:29 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Moses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Justcol
if you buy/rent a house 99% it'll be heated by a heat pump, these will both keep you warm in winter and act as air con in the summer, if you need it.

Or you can simply open a window and the ranch sliders to let a nice breeze though
When it comes to heating systems (heat pump), New Zealand is actually ahead of the UK. The problem seems to be the insulation/windows and that's why people moan about cold homes in New Zealand.
Old Jun 2nd 2015, 7:12 pm
Life is what YOU make it.

Stormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Moses2013
Oh another weather thread Let's say if you didn't need an AC in London during summer, you certainly won't need one in Auckland.
How long did you live in Auckland for ?
Old Jun 2nd 2015, 7:35 pm
BE Enthusiast

bearskin has a reputation beyond reputebearskin has a reputation beyond reputebearskin has a reputation beyond reputebearskin has a reputation beyond reputebearskin has a reputation beyond reputebearskin has a reputation beyond reputebearskin has a reputation beyond reputebearskin has a reputation beyond reputebearskin has a reputation beyond reputebearskin has a reputation beyond reputebearskin has a reputation beyond repute

IMHO it doesn't get as hot here as it does in a UK summer. It also doesn't get as cold in winter as in the UK.

Overall I would put the weather as slightly worse in Auckland than where I had lived in UK (Lincoln and Bristol). It rains way too much for my liking. I also don't mind a bit of cold, and only variation in Auckland weather seems to be temperature - it rains all year round. But in Spring and Autumn there are storms that come through every fortnight - there was a brief but petulant one last night - in my years here the storms are definitely getting worse - more and more as each year passes.

For household bits and bobs try The warehouse, Briscoes or Farmers.
Old Jun 2nd 2015, 7:46 pm
Life is what YOU make it.

Stormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond repute

tm check this site out.

Comparison of New Zealand with UK Climate and Weather

If you go down you can get a comparison between NZ/UK city weather, they have arranged summer v summer etc.
Old Jun 2nd 2015, 7:57 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by bearskin
IMHO it doesn't get as hot here as it does in a UK summer. It also doesn't get as cold in winter as in the UK.

Overall I would put the weather as slightly worse in Auckland than where I had lived in UK (Lincoln and Bristol). It rains way too much for my liking. I also don't mind a bit of cold, and only variation in Auckland weather seems to be temperature - it rains all year round. But in Spring and Autumn there are storms that come through every fortnight - there was a brief but petulant one last night - in my years here the storms are definitely getting worse - more and more as each year passes.

For household bits and bobs try The warehouse, Briscoes or Farmers.
A lot of locations in the South of England have actually recorded higher temps than Auckland, but that seems to be unknown. I was actually surprised that we even get less rain in the West of Ireland (Galway). Of course you will have micro climates too, but that's just the general stats. I think the storms are getting worse everywhere these days.
Old Jun 2nd 2015, 11:58 pm
BE Enthusiast

bearskin has a reputation beyond reputebearskin has a reputation beyond reputebearskin has a reputation beyond reputebearskin has a reputation beyond reputebearskin has a reputation beyond reputebearskin has a reputation beyond reputebearskin has a reputation beyond reputebearskin has a reputation beyond reputebearskin has a reputation beyond reputebearskin has a reputation beyond reputebearskin has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Moses2013
A lot of locations in the South of England have actually recorded higher temps than Auckland, but that seems to be unknown.
???

I was in the UK in summer 2003 when the temperature was over 100 degrees Fahrenheit for a couple of days in a row, with the record highest temperature being recorded (at that time, I think it may have been broken again now?)

I think Auckland's record is in the region of 93 degrees F?

Not sure why you think that would be 'unknown'? Unless you haven't lived in both places?
Old Jun 3rd 2015, 12:11 am
jmh
BE Forum Addict

jmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond repute

It's not a good idea to judge by numbers alone. While living in Auckland as a child I spent a lot of time in South Canterbury with my grandparents. Temps in the summer were higher than Auckland but because it was a dry heat it was much more comfortable in the summer. 30 deg C was more comfortable than 25 deg C in Auckland because Auckland is very humid.

The other thing is people's perception. My only problem with the high temperatures I experienced in London during the heat wave was that houses are not designed for it. Here I have large windows that open to let through breeze, retractable awnings, and tinted windows to protect from the sun. My heat pump does hot and cold. Of course, UK houses are better designed for cold weather.

While I don't see a huge difference between SE England and Auckland in the grand scheme of things, I prefer Auckland because although it rains a lot more, it is also more sunny bits in between.
Old Jun 3rd 2015, 2:17 am
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

Originally Posted by tm001
Unfortunately the house doesnt have a heat pump . And as its a rental we cant install anything on the walls.
Then your family should not take up the tenancy. You need some form of heating/cooling for the home.

Why have you lined up a rental without first being in Auckland to check that it fits the bill ? There are many sub-standard rentals out there and so it pays to have boots on ground.

For cheap homeware to get you through try Warehouse or Briscoes sales.
Old Jun 3rd 2015, 5:16 am
BE Enthusiast

Default Re: Auckland weather - heating/aircon and where to buy homeware on arrival

Originally Posted by BEVS
For cheap homeware to get you through try ...Briscoes sales.
Could be tricky to find them on sale there.
Old Jun 3rd 2015, 6:42 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Default Re: Auckland weather - heating/aircon and where to buy homeware on arrival

Originally Posted by bearskin
???

I was in the UK in summer 2003 when the temperature was over 100 degrees Fahrenheit for a couple of days in a row, with the record highest temperature being recorded (at that time, I think it may have been broken again now?)

I think Auckland's record is in the region of 93 degrees F?

Not sure why you think that would be 'unknown'? Unless you haven't lived in both places?
Unknown, because most Brits seem to think they have the worst weather and it rains more than anywhere else in the world. Even in Germany there's the term "typisch englisches Wetter", because people believe it rains all the time, although most of the South West would have better weather. Tell people that Auckland is wetter than London and 80% won't believe it. No doubt that Auckland gets more sunny days, but it's not Mediterranean.

Last edited by Moses2013; Jun 3rd 2015 at 6:47 am.
Old Jun 3rd 2015, 6:42 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by BEVS
Then your family should not take up the tenancy. You need some form of heating/cooling for the home.

Why have you lined up a rental without first being in Auckland to check that it fits the bill ? There are many sub-standard rentals out there and so it pays to have boots on ground.

For cheap homeware to get you through try Warehouse or Briscoes sales.

We did visit auckland in february and viewed a whole host of houses, including the one we decided to rent,the house has availible gas heater connections but i was asking if there was a need to buy them or possibly even a few portable aircons

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.