Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

auckland versus the rest of nz

auckland versus the rest of nz

Old Aug 27th 2007, 1:21 am
BE Enthusiast

whitesand is a splendid one to beholdwhitesand is a splendid one to beholdwhitesand is a splendid one to beholdwhitesand is a splendid one to beholdwhitesand is a splendid one to beholdwhitesand is a splendid one to beholdwhitesand is a splendid one to beholdwhitesand is a splendid one to beholdwhitesand is a splendid one to beholdwhitesand is a splendid one to beholdwhitesand is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: auckland versus the rest of nz

Basically, it comes down to Auckland having more jobs. It's all very well to say house prices are cheaper elsewhere, but that's irrelevant if there is no work. Most people come to this conclusion after travelling around NZ. Therefore, it's not always a question of choice but of necessity for most to move to Auckland, though personally I still prefer Auckland.
Old Aug 27th 2007, 1:28 am
BE Forum Addict

garryhg is a glorious beacon of lightgarryhg is a glorious beacon of lightgarryhg is a glorious beacon of lightgarryhg is a glorious beacon of lightgarryhg is a glorious beacon of lightgarryhg is a glorious beacon of lightgarryhg is a glorious beacon of lightgarryhg is a glorious beacon of lightgarryhg is a glorious beacon of lightgarryhg is a glorious beacon of lightgarryhg is a glorious beacon of light

hi thanks jude...don't want to keep banging on about daughter,starting to bore myself with it....shes goiing back to the first school she went to as she said they were nicer to her there,so fingers crossed

went over to north shore yesterday,takapuna,it was lovely ,had a real holiday feel to it....

as much as i'm disapointed with some of auckland,i do basically like it here,
but do not plan on being here for good..few years max....although oh doesn't share same view as me.....

garry is tied into his job for 18 months ,so not an option for us to move....
given relocation package,and would have to pay it back if he left any earlier..
and as much as daughters not happy at school,reality is she is not happy in nz and just wants to go back to family and friends...so i think another move would upset her and my son 6 who is now settled in school and quite happy....

next time we are in north shore will pm you,could maybe meet up for coffee:thumbsup
Old Aug 27th 2007, 1:31 am
BE Forum Addict

garryhg is a glorious beacon of lightgarryhg is a glorious beacon of lightgarryhg is a glorious beacon of lightgarryhg is a glorious beacon of lightgarryhg is a glorious beacon of lightgarryhg is a glorious beacon of lightgarryhg is a glorious beacon of lightgarryhg is a glorious beacon of lightgarryhg is a glorious beacon of lightgarryhg is a glorious beacon of lightgarryhg is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by whitesand
Basically, it comes down to Auckland having more jobs. It's all very well to say house prices are cheaper elsewhere, but that's irrelevant if there is no work. Most people come to this conclusion after travelling around NZ. Therefore, it's not always a question of choice but of necessity for most to move to Auckland, though personally I still prefer Auckland.
would have to agree,i know money isn't everything,but garry would not get the kind of money he is on anywhere else in nz.....his job decided for us where we would live,as do i'm sure many other people in auckland
Old Aug 27th 2007, 1:31 am
Banned

kiwiflyer is an unknown quantity at this point

So what your saying is no one outside of Auckland works? I wondered what I was doing wrong
Old Aug 27th 2007, 2:05 am
Here in Dunedin

southerner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by garryhg
would have to agree,i know money isn't everything,but garry would not get the kind of money he is on anywhere else in nz.....his job decided for us where we would live,as do i'm sure many other people in auckland
Its true of a small number of professions, but for most there are jobs available in many parts of NZ.
Old Aug 27th 2007, 2:20 am
TeamEmbo

TeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond repute

Stacks of jobs in Christchurch and easy commute to rural areas so you don't have to live in the city. I know of people who were offered same salary in Auckland as here in Chch so not always the case that Auckland has best wages. If it's the lifestyle you came for, surely that's paramount, otherwise you'd be better off stopping in uK and earning stacks more anyway?
Old Aug 27th 2007, 3:14 am
BE Forum Addict

kwprwn is a glorious beacon of lightkwprwn is a glorious beacon of lightkwprwn is a glorious beacon of lightkwprwn is a glorious beacon of lightkwprwn is a glorious beacon of lightkwprwn is a glorious beacon of lightkwprwn is a glorious beacon of lightkwprwn is a glorious beacon of lightkwprwn is a glorious beacon of lightkwprwn is a glorious beacon of lightkwprwn is a glorious beacon of light

Ok I havent read all the posts in this thread as been busy at work, so apologies for repeating or ignoring other comments

I live in Auckland and have done since March 2006 (not long ) but I love it in Auckland, It isnt far from a nice beach or somewere to go for a nice walk, we live out in west auckland and we find it a nice area were we live, although I will say there are also some not so nice areas, but thats the same for everywere

I know people say Housing in Auckland is expensive, but both me and my husband agree that if you compared like for like city (as in similar) then London and Auckland are comparable in same type of city, there is no way on earth that we could afford a mortgage in london, but we can here, yes we pay a higher mortgage here than we did in the UK, but we also look at the fact that if we were buying a house in wrexham now then we would be paying a similar sort of mortgage there. we are both on similar wages
(slightly less if anything) and neither of us earn huge bucks but we manage ok. We dont have an extravagant lifestyle and dont go out much, but can afford it if we want to

ok thats my 2 pence worth or 10cents whichever you use

Dawn
Old Aug 27th 2007, 4:31 am
Banned

kiwiflyer is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by kwprwn
Ok I havent read all the posts in this thread as been busy at work, so apologies for repeating or ignoring other comments

I live in Auckland and have done since March 2006 (not long ) but I love it in Auckland, It isnt far from a nice beach or somewere to go for a nice walk, we live out in west auckland and we find it a nice area were we live, although I will say there are also some not so nice areas, but thats the same for everywere

I know people say Housing in Auckland is expensive, but both me and my husband agree that if you compared like for like city (as in similar) then London and Auckland are comparable in same type of city, there is no way on earth that we could afford a mortgage in london, but we can here, yes we pay a higher mortgage here than we did in the UK, but we also look at the fact that if we were buying a house in wrexham now then we would be paying a similar sort of mortgage there. we are both on similar wages
(slightly less if anything) and neither of us earn huge bucks but we manage ok. We dont have an extravagant lifestyle and dont go out much, but can afford it if we want to

ok thats my 2 pence worth or 10cents whichever you use

Dawn
But anywhere in New Zealand your not far from the Beach and like everyone who is not in New Zealand has said you can find cheaper accomodation and not have to work so damn hard to maintain it. My wages would never support a Auckland lifestyle but I have Beaches, Rivers, mountains and a smaller scale city all within 30 minutes of my house.
I did not come to New Zealand for the wages. You think you got it good in Auckland then try away from Auckland, you may earn less but it goes a whole lot further and I have not heard anyone who moved to Auckland by choice after moving into Real New Zealand.
Old Aug 27th 2007, 5:51 am
BE Forum Addict

Bellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond repute

I have not heard anyone who moved to Auckland by choice after moving into Real New Zealand.

Most Aucklander's are those who moved from real NZ
Old Aug 27th 2007, 12:31 pm
Forum Regular

Dandy Dan is a jewel in the roughDandy Dan is a jewel in the roughDandy Dan is a jewel in the roughDandy Dan is a jewel in the roughDandy Dan is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by Bellasmum
I have not heard anyone who moved to Auckland by choice after moving into Real New Zealand.

Most Aucklander's are those who moved from real NZ
Quote from Southener: There were some interesting stats out recently that showed every other region of NZ had a net migration in flow from Auckland. That is, more people move out of Auckland to the rest of NZ than move the other way.

Who's right then?
Old Aug 27th 2007, 7:35 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Dandy Dan
Quote from Southener: There were some interesting stats out recently that showed every other region of NZ had a net migration in flow from Auckland. That is, more people move out of Auckland to the rest of NZ than move the other way.

Who's right then?
its not about whos right or wrong ,its about what suits you and yours at that time...and whatever floats your boat
Old Aug 27th 2007, 10:34 pm
TeamEmbo

TeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by garryhg
its not about whos right or wrong ,its about what suits you and yours at that time...and whatever floats your boat
I'm confused to. I don't think Danny Dan meant what's right or wrong - he's quoted Bellasmum as saying most Aucklanders have moved there from rest of NZ whereas Southerner says stats show high levels of Aucklands moving out to rest of NZ. I'd like to know which of those is right too as there seems to be a conflict of information.
Old Aug 27th 2007, 11:03 pm
Here in Dunedin

southerner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond repute

Here is the detailed 2001 report showing Auckland being a net source of internal migration, but I haven't been able to put my hands on the 2006 one yet. Maybe it was just an overview that got into the papers, but I recall the trend was even stronger and that Auckland was a net source of migration to every other region (not just a net source overall).

Will post more when I can.

I suspect Bellasmum may also potentially be right in that over the last 30-50 years there has been a lot of cumulative migration from the regions to Auckland, but I think the flows have reversed in the last decade.
Old Aug 27th 2007, 11:16 pm
TeamEmbo

Thank you Southerner
Old Aug 27th 2007, 11:29 pm
Here in Dunedin

Here is a good NZ Herald article about the Auckland migration situation, and here is a blog summary of the 15 April story run by the SST.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.