Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Auckland is a dump!

Auckland is a dump!

Old Jan 11th 2010, 6:32 pm
Dorset to Dunedin

Fooferfish has a reputation beyond reputeFooferfish has a reputation beyond reputeFooferfish has a reputation beyond reputeFooferfish has a reputation beyond reputeFooferfish has a reputation beyond reputeFooferfish has a reputation beyond reputeFooferfish has a reputation beyond reputeFooferfish has a reputation beyond reputeFooferfish has a reputation beyond reputeFooferfish has a reputation beyond reputeFooferfish has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Auckland is a dump!

We live in Dunners , well now moved outside city to the countryside and visited Auckland on a Grabaseat ticket a couple of years a go, and TBH for a 2 day trip it was good to see the place, did the touristy things, Kelly Tarltons, the Sky tower, city tour, the museum was awesome, not enough time to see it all.

The first thing we did notice once near the CBD was the traffic fumes , it was like a big city in UK yuk, also we noticed the ammount of Asians, thought it was more like China town but all in all there were some smart looking houses and a lot of JAFA's , personaly i wouldnt trade my coutry life for a city nor for a few degrees warmer climate, in my 5 years here i have met more and more Jafa's who have moved down this way for a quieter place to live, with fresh air and way less population, less crime ect, i think it all comes down to waht you want out of life, and where you live, the UK and Poole in perticular was getting far to Blingy for me, people trying to keep up with each other far to much, and the houses we were building were so big and flash it was beyond me WTF, and TBH thats waht Auckland felt like to me, full of wannabee's and people driving penis extentions, like Porsche Cayennee, BMW X5's was more like UK than UK itself

But for a visit it was good for us to see and expereince, but i would not live there if it was the last place in NZ, the South is where we will stay, until early retirement, when this house will be ready to sale and buy our 20ft luxury coach/home and we will travel all of NZ and then to OZ and into Europe.

Nige down South, where its in me blood.

And yes i do have a pair of stubbies and a Swandri
Old Jan 12th 2010, 9:12 am
BE Enthusiast

pricklykina has a reputation beyond reputepricklykina has a reputation beyond reputepricklykina has a reputation beyond reputepricklykina has a reputation beyond reputepricklykina has a reputation beyond reputepricklykina has a reputation beyond reputepricklykina has a reputation beyond reputepricklykina has a reputation beyond reputepricklykina has a reputation beyond reputepricklykina has a reputation beyond reputepricklykina has a reputation beyond repute

I've never been to dunners but will get around to it one day. Hubby is an Otago graduate so has very many happy memories of the place.
Now that he is old and soft, he can't tolerate the cold (too skinny unlike me) and short summers.

For us, work keeps us here really. Well that and family and tbh a beautiful spot down south or anywhere isn't worth leaving are friends and whanau for at this stage...that may change )

Today, having dinner at Mission bay, I loved Auckland
Driving along Tamaki Drive in the bright sunlight and back, in the dark, by the inky water with the city lights ahead...I felt blessed.

It's not a bad place but it's not for all.
You can make a life here without being flash. We get a reputation of being all show but most of us are average people on average incomes, raising our kids, firing up the barbies, sinking a few beers, and hanging out with friends.

There are a lot of asians ...there are a lot of europeans too...sometimes it feels a bit too much like euro disney LOL
(Don't forget the the asians have been here for 200 years...long enough to be welcome I think.
Old Jan 12th 2010, 11:21 am
BE Enthusiast

whitesand is a splendid one to beholdwhitesand is a splendid one to beholdwhitesand is a splendid one to beholdwhitesand is a splendid one to beholdwhitesand is a splendid one to beholdwhitesand is a splendid one to beholdwhitesand is a splendid one to beholdwhitesand is a splendid one to beholdwhitesand is a splendid one to beholdwhitesand is a splendid one to beholdwhitesand is a splendid one to behold

Of come on, you're joking aren't you? You can't judge Auckland from the middle of Queen Street! Any city has fumes and traffic congestion if you're standing in the middle of the city. Cross the bridge, go to the bays, stand on the hill at Devonport and tell me it's polluted. As for Asians, that's rather unfair. If you stand outside a football stadium you'll see many football supporters. Auckland is the centre for Uni, colleges, etc., where many Asian students go. Again, I guess you're simply stirring.
Old Jan 12th 2010, 5:15 pm

george toni is an unknown quantity at this point

I understand where foofer is coming from.

Its all based on coming from Down here in Dunedin and I guess as hard as it is for a person from auckland to understand a place the reverse might apply.

He was speaking based on a visit and his points where valid fron a dunedin point of view.

you see down here we CAN stand right in the middle of the city and not be consumed from car fumes and we dont need to travel more than a few hundred meters to SEE our city or have views to die for, and also being a large uni we dont have such a large asian population,sure we have all sorts here but it must have stood out to him for a mention.

so no not stirring just an honest view.

george
Old Jan 14th 2010, 7:37 am
Dorset to Dunedin

Fooferfish has a reputation beyond reputeFooferfish has a reputation beyond reputeFooferfish has a reputation beyond reputeFooferfish has a reputation beyond reputeFooferfish has a reputation beyond reputeFooferfish has a reputation beyond reputeFooferfish has a reputation beyond reputeFooferfish has a reputation beyond reputeFooferfish has a reputation beyond reputeFooferfish has a reputation beyond reputeFooferfish has a reputation beyond repute

The to many Asians thing was a perception thing, nothing Racial intended, i quite like they way Nz'ers mix with all races, Dunedin has an Asian Mayor, it juts reminded me of parts of central UK where diufferent races have made their own parts of the cities, hey i personaly do not like cities and have just realised our dream a lot easier down here than we would ever have done if we had headed to some where like Jafa land !! IMO the weather shouldnt rule your life, the Brits moan about the weather more than Kiwis, when we get those beautiful days, summer and winter, we make the most of them, i like the freedom and slower pace of life down here and TBPH the people are a hell of a, lot friendlier down sout and i have heard that from many North Islanders, what we South island people need to do is cut that power supply from south to north island and drift off away

Its us that keep your bright lights shining !!!!
Old Jan 14th 2010, 7:54 pm
A land far far away

pixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Fooferfish
i like the freedom and slower pace of life down here and TBPH the people are a hell of a, lot friendlier down sout and i have heard that from many North Islanders, what we South island people need to do is cut that power supply from south to north island and drift off away

Its us that keep your bright lights shining !!!!
You know I love you Nige, but not strictly true!
Ngawha supplies the vast majority of Northlands power.
I also totally disagree about the SI being more friendly with a slower pace of life and more freedom. I have found the WHOLE of NZ to be friendly, and having travelled round the SI I think that if any of you made it up to the Far north - you know, that area of NZ way north of Auckland...you'd find it's in fact very similar to the SI.
There's nothing wrong with Auckland, it's a city. Some people love big city living and some don't.
Old Jan 15th 2010, 6:23 am
BE Forum Addict

crap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond repute

wonder why coffee is so rubbish in jafa land?
Old Jan 15th 2010, 7:42 am
BE Enthusiast

pricklykina has a reputation beyond reputepricklykina has a reputation beyond reputepricklykina has a reputation beyond reputepricklykina has a reputation beyond reputepricklykina has a reputation beyond reputepricklykina has a reputation beyond reputepricklykina has a reputation beyond reputepricklykina has a reputation beyond reputepricklykina has a reputation beyond reputepricklykina has a reputation beyond reputepricklykina has a reputation beyond repute

Cos we spit in it if you don't have a jafa passport
Old Jan 15th 2010, 7:49 am
Account Closed

Stoof is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by pricklykina
ok... am going to stop browsing BE tonight... hormones must be all over the place - sobbing a minute ago and now
Old Jan 15th 2010, 8:11 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by pricklykina

I will have to remember this for post of the year polls.